• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • migwl300

May 24, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I recently purchased a Mossberg 930 and took it out to PG skeet and trap. It worked great until about half way through the second rounds (about 40 shells) it stopped ejecting. It would load, fire, and extract great, but never eject for the rest of the day. I took it home and cleaned it for the first time. It was pretty dirty so i clean the piston and all those parts but when it came time to remove the charging handle and clean the bolt I could not get the charging handle out of the bolt. It could just be me being a wimp but I tugged on it as hard as I could and it would not come out. So I could not get the bolt out and clean or inspect it. Anyway could these two issues be related. I plan on taking it in the shop to get some professional advice, but I thought I should ask yall first. P.S. this is my first gun...

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    Did you lubricate this shotgun after you bought it, can't just shoot them out of the box without property cleaning and lubricating first. Also the 930's cycle rounds that, if I remember correctly, are rated at least 1200 feet per second. Anything less and they won't eject property.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Take it from a 3-gunner, don't use WWB ammo. Use nothing but Federal or Remington. Should work flawlessly from the start if my 2 are any indication. Heck my 930 JM Pro I ran for 6 months without cleaning it trying to see if it would fail and except for the Win ammo thing I eventually gave up and cleaned it. If you keep it lubed you should be OK.

migwl300

May 24, 2014
    Montgomery County
    ya I heard that the 930 cycles good with lighter loads. but i lubed it and cleaned it and took it out again and the same problem. I have been using federal 1 1/8 loads that go i think 1130fps. the basic ones that they have at PG skeet and trap. anyway the guy at atlantic guns gave (yes gave) me two boxes of remington shells, one going 1130 fps and the other going 1200. We'll see what happens.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    Winchester bulk (even the white "super-speed" boxes) suck in semi autos. Winchester AA works good, so does federal and remington bulk. There is just something wrong with winchester bulk shells in semi autos that makes them hang up, I believe they have a wider rim.

mgrs

Nov 30, 2013
    Take it from a 3-gunner, don't use WWB ammo. Use nothing but Federal or Remington. Should work flawlessly from the start if my 2 are any indication. Heck my 930 JM Pro I ran for 6 months without cleaning it trying to see if it would fail and except for the Win ammo thing I eventually gave up and cleaned it. If you keep it lubed you should be OK.

+1

I use my 930 for 3 gun and have never actually cleaned it with about 800 rounds. All of the shot has been federal with a few Winchester slugs mixed in. I keep it wet...

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    +1

I use my 930 for 3 gun and have never actually cleaned it with about 800 rounds. All of the shot has been federal with a few Winchester slugs mixed in. I keep it wet...
    You won't like it when you do finally clean it. I ran mine for about 1.5 seasons before cleaning it. Had to almost use a chisel to get the gas ring off (don't use one). Was still running good I just got guilty not cleaning it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom