• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I just picked up an M27 linker for 5.56x45mm. Its a fairly mindless activity, but I kind of enjoy it. Anyone else like linking up ammo?

Attachments

• IMG_4780.jpg
      IMG_4780.jpg
      68.8 KB · Views: 594
    • IMG_4781.jpg
      IMG_4781.jpg
      91.7 KB · Views: 517

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Hmmm, what do you have that eats that? (scratching head trying to remember what you've said.)

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Just throw a Shrike on top of a M-16 lower or something with a DIAS or Lightning a Link and go to town.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I just picked up an M27 linker for 5.56x45mm. Its a fairly mindless activity, but I kind of enjoy it. Anyone else like linking up ammo?

I think this is one area of the board were I think I have most people dominated! That is not even a real linker you have there! Its like having thirty thumbs stuck together! When I use metal disintegrating links, I do it by hand still.

When I was getting into it, I thought linkers were a waste of money only needed by those with to much money who did not want the trouble of hand loading. For the semi 1919a4 I had that was somewhat true. However for real linkers its much different. For Cloth belts the linkers become critical in setting the cartridge depth. If this is inconsistent it will not feed in the gun. By WWII the metal belts were in use and this mainly became a way of speeding things up as the cartridge depth was set by the links themselves. However they still jam a fair amount and require all rounds to be loaded in the same direction. When I got the PKM loader I discovered what linking was suppose to be. Just dump the ammo in the hopper, facing either way and loading up extremely fast with few jams.

I never thought I would "like" a linker. However after getting some, they are really cool mechanical devices. I do enjoy linking up ammo. I have also had my 4 year old boy helping me do it with the PKM linker. Also time linkers save you changes greatly! PKM linkers can load ammo faster than you can unwrap from a spam can. Cloth Belt linkers take a fair amount of time. Maybe 45 mins to do a 250 round belt.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    So, what's a good linker to use for linking German MG08/15 and British Vickers belts?

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Don't forget the drop in auto sears. I remember when the sold in 85 for $99.00 then add the $200.00 tax stamp

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom