• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Picked up the A section of the Post today, off a trash can, to have something to read with lunch; one needs to distract oneself from the plate when eating hospital cafeteria food.

Sadly, the paper turned out to be more offensive than the plateful of offal.

One of the leading stories was a whine about the proliferation of Stand Your Ground laws, and how people were getting killed a lot more that ten years ago.

Typically, the figures were a bit slanted, and the reporting even more so. There was a nice table of Justifiable Homicides by citizens; range was from 192 to 278 per year; last five years were in fact highr than the preceeding five. Interesting how the reporter managed to tilt the tenor from "justifiable" and foused on "homicide". Also interesting to see the huge numbers: averaging 250 justifiable homicides per year, over the entire country. Huge, that.

What really displaced my lunch was the final story in the article, describing how a 69 year old man who cautioned kids about skateboarding on a basketball court was taken to task by a 41 year old Iraqi veteran who was playing "hoops" with his 8 year old daughter. He gave the old man a raft of grief; the old guy backed off, saying he didn't want a fight. Next thing, the vet was"on top" of the old man, who pulled a gun from his pocket and shot his assailant.

This was a terrible thing in the eyes of the reporter, who felt that the old guy deserved to be pounded into the ground, apparently. No disparity of force there, no attempt to retreat, no excuses were going to be strong enough for this old guy to defend his life.

Sorry for the vet and his daughter, but as reported, there seems to be nothing wrong with the action taken. Being an old guy myself, I perhaps am prejudiced toward my personal survival. But next time, I'll leave the Post in the trash can.

Just had to vent. Sorry for the rant.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    I agree that story was trash. Why didn't the Post report on last week's Politifact story on how law enforcement's justifiable homicides are equally higher in FL since SYG was passed there? The takeaway from Politfact was that there was no "causation" to go along with the correlation.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Grrrr

Nov 10, 2011
    waldorf md
    Picked up the A section of the Post today, off a trash can, to have something to read with lunch; one needs to distract oneself from the plate when eating hospital cafeteria food.

Sadly, the paper turned out to be more offensive than the plateful of offal.

One of the leading stories was a whine about the proliferation of Stand Your Ground laws, and how people were getting killed a lot more that ten years ago.

Typically, the figures were a bit slanted, and the reporting even more so. There was a nice table of Justifiable Homicides by citizens; range was from 192 to 278 per year; last five years were in fact highr than the preceeding five. Interesting how the reporter managed to tilt the tenor from "justifiable" and foused on "homicide". Also interesting to see the huge numbers: averaging 250 justifiable homicides per year, over the entire country. Huge, that.

What really displaced my lunch was the final story in the article, describing how a 69 year old man who cautioned kids about skateboarding on a basketball court was taken to task by a 41 year old Iraqi veteran who was playing "hoops" with his 8 year old daughter. He gave the old man a raft of grief; the old guy backed off, saying he didn't want a fight. Next thing, the vet was"on top" of the old man, who pulled a gun from his pocket and shot his assailant.

This was a terrible thing in the eyes of the reporter, who felt that the old guy deserved to be pounded into the ground, apparently. No disparity of force there, no attempt to retreat, no excuses were going to be strong enough for this old guy to defend his life.

Sorry for the vet and his daughter, but as reported, there seems to be nothing wrong with the action taken. Being an old guy myself, I perhaps am prejudiced toward my personal survival. But next time, I'll leave the Post in the trash can.

Just had to vent. Sorry for the rant.

Saw the story on the news a while ago. I dont know much more about it than what you already stated. it did show the older black man in court or some sort of a hearing. Im not sure what the end result was but if the larger younger man that was there with his child did physically assault the man then unfortunately he got what was coming to him.

Walter

May 23, 2010
    Anti gunners like the folks over at the Washington Compost don't believe in self defense. They'd rather have their mother, wife, and daughter raped and beaten, left laying in their own blood rather than be able to defend themselves.

I rather not get worked up so I don't bother reading their BS.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Anti-gun activists hard at work

The civil rights groups that turned outrage over Trayvon Martin's death into action say their work is far from over now that his killer has been charged with second-degree murder. Next, they hope to harness the activism to challenge Florida's "stand your ground" law and similar statutes in 24 other states.

Yet another way to promote wealth distribution ... disarm the populous.:innocent0

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi, who sanctioned it for those unable to master pure nonviolence."

- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom