• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    So based on the assumption that we will be a shall issue state soon, what do you guys think of the chances that MD will play nice with FL or UT for reciprocity?

Then lets say....
    If MD was to only offer reciprocity to one of those 2 states, what one do you think they would accept?

Purely hypothetical... :thumbsup:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I would think that MD would honor their neighboring states first, but what do I know. I think with the people in the Senate getting the boot, there's a good chance for national reciprocity to pass next year. We were short two votes, I suspect two of those were replaced by Rs.

Jim

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My guess is MD will not allow state residents to carry on any other state's non resident permit. NM recently quit accepting UT permits for their residents because the NM CCW instructors whined about the lack of revenue because folks were getting UT non resident permits. I know Philly is very angry about PA residents carrying on their FL permits.

As anti as MD will be even if we get carry, they will want the revenue and probably have draconian requirements to make it as hard as possible to get carry permits a la Chicago and DC.

MD will be dragged kicking and screaming to the altar of the 2A. Don't expect any kind of consideration or common sense approach to licensing for carry.

:sad20:

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    :goodpost:

I like "the altar of the 2A". I'm with you on this, they will definitely want to make as much money as they can while making it as difficult as possible....:sad20:

Squaredout

The Widows Son
    Mar 25, 2010
    My guess is MD will not allow state residents to carry on any other state's non resident permit. NM recently quit accepting UT permits for their residents because the NM CCW instructors whined about the lack of revenue because folks were getting UT non resident permits. I know Philly is very angry about PA residents carrying on their FL permits.

As anti as MD will be even if we get carry, they will want the revenue and probably have draconian requirements to make it as hard as possible to get carry permits a la Chicago and DC.

MD will be dragged kicking and screaming to the altar of the 2A. Don't expect any kind of consideration or common sense approach to licensing for carry.

:sad20:

+1

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    National reciprocity scares me a bit. It could likely mean the end of wide reaching non-resident permits. The standard could be that you need to have a permit in your home state to carry elsewhere, or obtain a non-resident permit from that particular state. Could be bad news for us until we move to shall issue.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    The feds need to stay out of national reciprocity. While I love the idea of making Maryland issue permits, it goes against everything I believe in.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    here is the scary scenario I envision.

National reciprocity becomes law. The states then stop issuing permits and dismantle their licensing infrastructure. Then a bunch of libtards get back into power and rescind national reciprocity. Presto. No one an carry.

No thanks. Remember what Jerry Ford said.

"A Govt. big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take everything away."

Not for me thank you. The Govt. closest to the people is the most efficient and most representative of the will of the people.

Josey Wales

Aug 4, 2010
    From the last I read if you are a PA resident you ca not carry there unless you have the PA permit.

Archangel

Jul 19, 2005

National reciprocity becomes law. The states then stop issuing permits and dismantle their licensing infrastructure.

I think you misunderstand "national reciprocity." It's not about the Fed's issuing permits. It's about them saying that, like drivers licenses, a permit issued in one state must be honored by all. The states would still be the issuing authority.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I still would be concerned about a federal law being passed and then rescinded. I would prefer that the national recognition be done at the state level. I don't trust the Fed. Govt. to get this right. Even with McDonald I could see some state's challenging a national reciprocity law.MD most notably

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Even among today's shall-issue states there's conflict over training requirements and where people may carry; e.g., bars and/or establishments that serve alcohol. Best we shoot at one target at a time.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    From the last I read if you are a PA resident you ca not carry there unless you have the PA permit.

PA is pissed that people are carrying there with out of state permits but so far, nothing has been done. Philly is trying to make their own rules though.

Now one thing that has happened is sheriff's are not doing out of state permits unless you have a permit from your home state.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    The feds need to stay out of national reciprocity. While I love the idea of making Maryland issue permits, it goes against everything I believe in.
    Or better yet, the Fed's just need to set one standard, one regulation, and issue the permits.

Yes, it would screw over AZ, VT, AK and the like, BUT, I've had a VT resident tell me "I'd suck it up and get a US permit to carry, just so I can carry in MA without any problems."

I agree. F this state if they loose out on revenue.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

National reciprocity becomes law. The states then stop issuing permits and dismantle their licensing infrastructure. Then a bunch of libtards get back into power and rescind national reciprocity. Presto. No one an carry.

No thanks. Remember what Jerry Ford said.

"A Govt. big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take everything away."

Not for me thank you. The Govt. closest to the people is the most efficient and most representative of the will of the people.

Unlikely. Long before that can happen, the current set of cases lookingto establish "bear" as a fundamental right will be done. We either win or lose, and a win would apply everywhere.

The SAF has stayed out of Wisconsin for a reason. They do not have a carry permit available. The SAF started in May-Issue states for a reason.

Once established, the scenario you are concerned about is essentially the one faced by Wisconsin residents. You can be 110% sure that a successful challenge in May-Issue states like MD and CA will result in a challenge in WI.

So if we win these May-Issue cases, the scenario you envision will not be an issue. If we lose...we lose big anyway so why not go for broke now?

The only way a national reciprocity bill could work is if the national law took into consideration the multitude of training and background standards currently used. So expect both a solid background check (fingerprints sent to the feds) and a healthy training requirement that includes physical range testing. That would settle all the issues that various states would have.

How to handle those of us in MD who can only carry in some states with a non-residency permit?

The easy way (and the one I would lobby for) is to accord non-resident permits the same validity as resident permits. The training standards would be the same.

The hard way would be for the Congress to step in and force shall-issue on the states. It's an odd consideration, but it might pass constitutional muster, much the same way a "reporter's shield" law would work on a nationwide basis. In the latter case, some states would fight. It would still hit the Supreme Court one way or the other. Still, I prefer the first option.

I do think we're going to see some pro-gun bills come up federally in 2011. And I think the Democratic Senate will play along. Harry Reid won't piss off gun owners. Not after this week. And there are a lot of Dem Senators coming up for re-election in 2012...they have been paying attention to this week, too. Only the most liberal in the most safe districts will dare oppose us.

And Obama???

Depends on the next few weeks. He either runs to the center hoping for reelection (no veto on gun bills) or he goes way left to excite his base. That said, he never took on guns the first time. There was a reason, and that was because someone did the math and said he could not win if he fought guns. I cannot imagine a scenario where that changes in 2011. It's probably worse for him now.

So no vetoes from Obama. We win.

Seriously...this coming year could be good in the Congress, provided they don't step on the existing court cases we have. Call your Senators today!

OK, strike that. Forgot where I live for minute there. Better we leave MD Senators out of this, eh?

I'm going to borrow a phrase from another sage here: "2011 is going to be a good year."

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom