• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Ok, let me start off by saying I know nothing about motor vehicles, especially jeeps. That being said, I am comfortable with tools and can learn anything pretty quickly if you just give me a manual or one on one instructions.

I really want a Jeep Wrangler. I don't know when I caught the bug, but I can't stop looking at them. My goal is one year from today, I will own a jeep. If I get it a jeep, it will be used for mostly fun, driving around my buddies farm and out in Green Ridge State Forrest while camping. It won't be a daily driver and I won't be doing any seriously crazy off road stuff. At least that's my plan for now. My budget is extremely limited, so I would most likely have to get an older used one and try to fix it up.

Now, what should I be looking for? Any specific years that are better or worse? I have a feeling I'm going to be getting into something that is way over my head.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My limited advice is that if you want an older one, get one with the 4.0.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Ok, let me start off by saying I know nothing about motor vehicles, especially jeeps. That being said, I am comfortable with tools and can learn anything pretty quickly if you just give me a manual or one on one instructions.

I really want a Jeep Wrangler. I don't know when I caught the bug, but I can't stop looking at them. My goal is one year from today, I will own a jeep. If I get it a jeep, it will be used for mostly fun, driving around my buddies farm and out in Green Ridge State Forrest while camping. It won't be a daily driver and I won't be doing any seriously crazy off road stuff. At least that's my plan for now. My budget is extremely limited, so I would most likely have to get an older used one and try to fix it up.

Now, what should I be looking for? Any specific years that are better or worse? I have a feeling I'm going to be getting into something that is way over my head.

Jeep resale values are really, really good. That's great for the seller, not so great for the buyer. I'd recommend looking at a TJ (1997-2006) because you can get it with the bulletproof 4.0L straight-6 engine, it's easy to wrench on yourself, and there are all kinds of replacement/after-market parts available. I wouldn't get a newer Jeep because the early model JKs (2007-2011) had a less-than-stellar engine for off-roading (they pulled it out of the Chrysler Town and Country) and the 2012-now Jeeps are going to be too expensive to justify as a weekend adventure vehicle.

I've got a '99 and a '13 Unlimited. The '13 is really nice and much more comfortable, but for what you're describing, I'd rather have the '99. Jeeps are like AR-15s with wheels, you buy the Jeep but what you build it into is what makes it yours.

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    i agree the 4.0 is great

that said, my 3.7 in the libby has 240k and is still going

i would be wary of lifted jeeps as most people dont change the gears to compensate for the extra work the engine has to do

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    The Jeep 4.0 liter motor is by far the best all around motor I have ever had.

I have a 1998 XJ and it has been trouble free for the last 12 years. The only thing that I had to replace other then maintenance so far is an alternator and a thermostat. But then again it's a 19 year old vehicle.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Just sold my 2012. I love the new engine personally, but mine was a daily driver and the love and excitement I had when I bought it gradually wore off over four years and I decided I wanted something a little more comfortable and upscale. I do miss that soft top on nice 75 degree days...

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    i agree the 4.0 is great

i would be wary of lifted jeeps as most people dont change the gears to compensate for the extra work the engine has to do

Sorry, I misspoke. The early JKs have a 3.8L V6, not the same as the 3.7L from the Liberty. That being said, if you can find a good deal on a JK with the 3.8L you'll be fine, but the I6 will probably be easier to work on yourself if you're so inclined.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Go with a YJ. Even the 4 banger has enough torque to get the job done. I could power through anything with 4wd low. Easy to work on and parts are dirt cheap. My wife still gives me a hard time about selling ours.

Both engines and the transmission are strong and will outlive the body. just look out for severe rust on the frame rails and suspension mounts. All will have surface rust which is fine.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    If you can afford it, the newer ones with the 3.6 are great. One of my coworkers had a 2013 with a mild loft and it's real nice.
    I'm not a fan of wranglers, but there is not denying that they have the highest resale value of ANY vehicle by a wide margin.

nvm, just saw the "limited budget" comment...

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You need to define limited budget. With a perceived limited budget, I doubt you will be able to find something that doesn't need a ton of work. As mentioned earlier, frame rot is a big issue on the older models.

If you just want a Jeep, a Cherokee makes an excellent off road vehicle too. Not the Wrangler you're looking for, but they can be made into a great offroad vehicle.

Good Luck

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    i agree the 4.0 is great

To elaborate on this, I think it should be noted that a moderate lift with stock size tires is just fine. No additional modifications to trans needed (or recommended).

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    You need to define limited budget. With a perceived limited budget, I doubt you will be able to find something that doesn't need a ton of work. As mentioned earlier, frame rot is a big issue on the older models.

If you just want a Jeep, a Cherokee makes an excellent off road vehicle too. Not the Wrangler you're looking for, but they can be made into a great offroad vehicle.

Good Luck

yeah, you need to give an actual number. You're gonna need a minimum for $5K to get something from the 90s in decent shape that doesn't need a bunch of work.

reddobie0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Lost Somewhere
    Go with 97 or newer. That is when they got rid of the front leaf springs. I had a 97 and it had about 105k on the four banger when I sold it. It was a good motor for me and had enough power for the wrangler. I had the straight six in two of my other jeeps(Cherokee and grand Cherokee) both of them cracked the exhaust manifold from the torque. The straight six is a legendary and great motor that was around forever but in a smaller displacements. I don't think you can go wrong with either motor but prefer the 6. Hard doors are always a plus also. Good luck they do hold their value pretty well.

alzoom85

Feb 27, 2013
    Buy one with square headlights (yj) they should be had running for less than 5k. I learned how to drive in one, it was the daily driver for my mom sis and I till 2012 when i let the head gasket pop with over 270k miles on it. I personaly was able to replace the engine with a junk yard motor and now she is getting a junk yard tranny, and hopefully will be back on the road in the next few months.

The YJ is very easy to wrench on with or w/o a manual; the 4cyl is one of the fastest accelerating cars on the planet (i used to stomp those rice burners all day up to 50mph on costal highway in the summer); and untouchable on the beach. Now if you plan on doing some serious rootin or towing get the automatic.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Buy one with square headlights (yj) they should be had running for less than 5k. I learned how to drive in one, it was the daily driver for my mom sis and I till 2012 when i let the head gasket pop with over 270k miles on it. I personaly was able to replace the engine with a junk yard motor and now she is getting a junk yard tranny, and hopefully will be back on the road in the next few months.

The YJ is very easy to wrench on with or w/o a manual; the 4cyl is one of the fastest accelerating cars on the planet (i used to stomp those rice burners all day up to 50mph on costal highway in the summer); and untouchable on the beach. Now if you plan on doing some serious rootin or towing get the automatic.

The JY is known for rotted frames. The vacuum controls for the front wheels are notorious for going up. The front axle is not very stout and many times needs to be upgraded if you are 4 wheeling. Be very careful buying one.

I don't know what kinda 4 cyl YJ you have, but they are not quick at all, they can't beat any ricer.

The tires and type of axles will determine how the Jeep does on the sand. Just because it's a Jeep does not make it some type of miracle vehicle in the sand. If you don't have posi's in both axles, you will get stuck in the sand.

Stop giving bad information to someone looking for guidance.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Thanks for all the input.

I'll definitely look into getting a 4.0 inline 6 cylinder. I had a few mechanics at work talking highly of them also.

As for my budget, it's really what ever I can save up in the next several months. $5000 doesn't seem too far out of reach. Maybe my goal of having one by next year can actually be accomplished!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom