• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I grew up in PG County and am a product of PG County schools.

PG County is a degenerate sespool on the Potomac. It is full of corruption, run by corrupt dictators who recently got raided by FBI agents for embellzing, and running drugs and guns IN COP CARS.

PG County public schools can, for the most part, be described as Jail Prep. Children don't learn anything, and they jump around acting like they are animals. If your lucky, your kid will survive and become a decent human being, if your not lucky, your sons will have 3 felonies and be in a gang by the time they are 16. The influence of gangs, drugs, and "hip-hop" culture is beyond control. You will deal with kids who live in 3 story townhomes with 2 cars, but they are from the hood, they are hard, they be bustin caps up in people's asses, robbin people and f'in bitches. If your kid gets anything stolen, HA. Your white, you can buy a new one.

Oh and then the kids in my high school, I saw one skipping down the hallway screaming "I got a .33, I got a .33" That's like 1 D and the rest E's.

Then there's the whole thing that out side of school, there's gangs and drugs.

I"m not kidding, I had my TI-83 calculator stolen, the school security guard said I was white and could buy a new one.

The property taxes are rediculious, the services you get for them are pathetic.

My family lives south of upper marlboro, Jack Johnson said he would never give us a penny to rebuild our road system because we where white.

Please don't expose your kids to the racism, the gang banging, or the general culture of ignorance, and don't expose yourself to the corruption and greed and taxes.

Remember, sometimes a frontal attack isn't the best way. Sometimes you contain your enemy and wait.

I left PG when I went to college and I had NO INTEREST in moving back home. I live in Towson now, and I'm working on getting to that state line.

Many of us who live in Maryland probably don't do so by choice. There are many reasons we can't leave, but I can bet you if they didn't exist, a lot fewer people would be here.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I grew up in PG County and am a product of PG County schools.

PG County is a degenerate sespool on the Potomac. It is full of corruption, run by corrupt dictators who recently got raided by FBI agents for embellzing, and running drugs and guns IN COP CARS.

PG County public schools can, for the most part, be described as Jail Prep. Children don't learn anything, and they jump around acting like they are animals. If your lucky, your kid will survive and become a decent human being, if your not lucky, your sons will have 3 felonies and be in a gang by the time they are 16. The influence of gangs, drugs, and "hip-hop" culture is beyond control. You will deal with kids who live in 3 story townhomes with 2 cars, but they are from the hood, they are hard, they be bustin caps up in people's asses, robbin people and f'in bitches. If your kid gets anything stolen, HA. Your white, you can buy a new one.

Oh and then the kids in my high school, I saw one skipping down the hallway screaming "I got a .33, I got a .33" That's like 1 D and the rest E's.

Then there's the whole thing that out side of school, there's gangs and drugs.

I"m not kidding, I had my TI-83 calculator stolen, the school security guard said I was white and could buy a new one.

The property taxes are rediculious, the services you get for them are pathetic.

My family lives south of upper marlboro, Jack Johnson said he would never give us a penny to rebuild our road system because we where white.

Please don't expose your kids to the racism, the gang banging, or the general culture of ignorance, and don't expose yourself to the corruption and greed and taxes.

Remember, sometimes a frontal attack isn't the best way. Sometimes you contain your enemy and wait.

I left PG when I went to college and I had NO INTEREST in moving back home. I live in Towson now, and I'm working on getting to that state line.

Many of us who live in Maryland probably don't do so by choice. There are many reasons we can't leave, but I can bet you if they didn't exist, a lot fewer people would be here.

My wife teaches Pre-K in PG... Forestville, in fact (south county).

She does yeoman's work in getting kids ready for the years ahead. IMO, she's been MD Teacher of the Year for the past 20 years, and no one knows it.

Seriously... she is damned near killing herself to make sure these kids have all they need to NOT be a headline on the 6 o'clock news.Most of her cohorts are equally committed. Problem is, the 'theoretical adults' in these kids' lives unwind all that good work.

Sadly, all you say (and more) is too powerful for many of them, and we'll see them on the short end of life soon enough.

goldie

Feb 27, 2011
    Montgomery County
    I've given much consideration to everything mentioned here, so I picked an equally-priced townhouse in Alexandria (not old town, but close enough that I'd be happy) and compared:
    - income tax
    - property tax
    - auto insurance

Living in Hyattsville would cost me an additional $700/mo for the above. And of course, that's $700 a month that *isn't* giving me equity in a house.

I also did some crime mapping for both areas for the last year. While there wasn't anything terrible in my immediate vicinity of PGC (auto theft, theft from auto, B&E), there wasn't *anything* in my immediate vicinity of VA, and that's still right next to metro.

I've still got a lot to think about because I LOVE that townhouse in PGC, but I'm trying to think with my head, here.

Again, thanks for all the insight, I didn't know this doubled as a housing advice forum!

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I've given much consideration to everything mentioned here, so I picked an equally-priced townhouse in Alexandria (not old town, but close enough that I'd be happy) and compared:
    - income tax
    - property tax
    - auto insurance

Living in Hyattsville would cost me an additional $700/mo for the above. And of course, that's $700 a month that *isn't* giving me equity in a house.

700/month buys you about 120k extra you can carry on a mortgage.

Again, thanks for all the insight, I didn't know this doubled as a housing advice forum!

Oh, this place will give all kinds of advice, how to vote, marriage etc. ;)

You are out of your mind if you move to PG.

Listen to what everyone on this thread is telling you. How many people have to tell you "don't touch the stove, it's hot" before you resist the urge to burn your hand?

I grew up in PG, got out as soon as I could, and now DREAM of the day I move out of Maryland altogether and NEVER come back.

Seriously, the last time I cross the Potomac from Maryland to America will be one of the happiest days of my life. This state sucks, it always has been and always will be run by corrupt Democrats, the taxes will always be murder, the parasite class will always suck the life and freedom out of everything... There's not one good thing about living here. Not ONE. And I'm a native Marylander saying that...

Find something in VA. Compromise on what you're looking for, pay more, drive longer... But for the love of all that's right and good, DON'T MOVE TO MARYLAND!!!!!

Seriously - don't.

goldie

Feb 27, 2011
    Montgomery County
    LOL, you guys are a tough crowd. Seriously, though, I've slept on it, found 2 agreeable non-short sales to check out, and am hoping for the best. I can get over stupid laws, bad utilities, and some degree of crime, but putting in terms of $700/mo really drives the point home. Especially when I consider the almost certainty that gap will widen as my income increases, get married, etc.

And traveller's observation that the saved money would be a difference of 120K in mortgage really drives it home. I mean, I'm still looking in the same price range anyway, but sometimes it takes a dramatic illustration to get my attention.

All that said, I think you have succeeded in talking me out of MD. In appreciation for this, I just donated $75 to MarylandShallIssue. Even though I won't be a resident, everyone wins when common sense rules the day re: gun laws.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    I remember when I used to go to College Park I used to take walks up and down Route 1 at night. I'm a big guy so I wasn't a-skeered and it's run-down, but usually not too scary, within the college area. One time, though, I lost track of how far I was walking and I ended up in Hyattsville. I kept waiting to get jumped and stabbed. College Park did all it could to stem the flow of thieves/rapists onto their campus and some still got through.

What people are saying about PG is all true, unfortunately. You could muddle by there if you were single as long as you didn't stare at the wrong "gangsta" the wrong way, but if you have family, then it's best to look elsewhere. There's a reason the property values are so low.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    LOL, you guys are a tough crowd. Seriously, though, I've slept on it, found 2 agreeable non-short sales to check out, and am hoping for the best. I can get over stupid laws, bad utilities, and some degree of crime, but putting in terms of $700/mo really drives the point home. Especially when I consider the almost certainty that gap will widen as my income increases, get married, etc.

I'm in MoCo, which is better than PG by far... Believe me, I can't wait to move... 3 months and I hope to NEVER return.

Mark

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Went though Hyattsville last week. Their sure have made big changes to what was so
    old and rundown. Hope the Arts district works and bring some life to that area.

Good luck with the move.

It will probably do as much good as the station north arts district in Baltimore.

"3rd world immigrants" don't bother me any more than immigrants from anywhere else, which is what probably all of us are, just with a little more experience.

OHHHH but they will. We are all immigrants, but we share a common culture we have learned. We may have our own things, you may celebrate holidays or practice a faith that I don't, but we come together in common culture.

These immigrants he refers to are the ones who refuse to assimilate. They bring their cultures and end up turning the new place into the place they left.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008

And traveller's observation that the saved money would be a difference of 120K in mortgage really drives it home. I mean, I'm still looking in the same price range anyway, but sometimes it takes a dramatic illustration to get my attention.

All that said, I think you have succeeded in talking me out of MD. In appreciation for this, I just donated $75 to MarylandShallIssue. Even though I won't be a resident, everyone wins when common sense rules the day re: gun laws.

:) We have people who help MSI who live all over the country. :)

The money really is a key thing, and Maryland is looking at several tax increases so that 700 may get higher.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I love Maryland and all, but if I were to move back to the DC metro area I am nearly 100% sure it would be in Virginia. I love where I am now on the Shore because I don't really want the busy DC suburb life and I love boating and hunting and all. But if the commute gets too much to handle I will definitely consider crossing the Potomac into freedom (and Home Depots every square mile LOL)

AimsWellShootsWorse

Mar 2, 2011
    Prince George's County
    Moving from VA to MD, stock up first? (LONG)

Well, living as I do just a few miles from the West Hyattsville "Arts District" (and having just joined this forum after resurrecting an old, mostly dormant firearms hobby--Hello, everyone!) I have a few thoughts on this subject. To put it mildly.

I'll try to stay focused and relevant, though. So, here's a few thoughts on:

1. Where to shoot in the greater north PG area (couple of gems)
    2. Stupid MD rules to consider or learn more about....
    3. What to expect in PG (that is, politics, crime, social issues, quality of life)

Where to shoot (highlights, not comprehensive):
    Contrary to what you might expect, if you're into trap/skeet/sporting clays, there is a terrific *County* facility in Genn Dale (just off 193, maybe 6ish miles NNE of H-ville). Even rents guns for cheap. Not sure how many Prince Georgians frequent the place, but Capitol Hill scattergun fans come here a lot. http://www.pgparks.com/Things_To_Do/Sports/Trap_and_Skeet.htm
    Contrary to what you might expect (that'll be a persistent sub-theme throughout this little essay), there's a bunch of local clubs and even some club ranges in the area. See best listing on http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/clubs.html
    Berwyn Rod & Gun Club rises to the top in terms of facilities, friendliness and program. Ironically, they are in Bowie, not Berwyn (Heights).
    If you're into long range rifle shooting, I hear the Ft Meade Rod & Gun Club is the way to go. Good luck finding much else around here over 100 yards. (Lemme know if you do!)
    For indoor public ranges (pistol rounds only), many use OnTarget in Severn (quick trip up 295 near Fort Meade, but don't try anywhere near drivetime rushhours)
    Some head south to Md Small Arms, Inc in vicinity of Andrews AFB (and I heard a rumor they're relocating to a new expanded facility nearby).

Stupid MD gun rules to consider

• In addition to advice in prior posts, I would mainly caution about the silly rules on transporting weapons in vehicles. As I understand, with unloaded gun(s) locked in trunk and ALL ammo locked in glove box, you can ONLY drive DIRECTLY to/from home and range, home and gunshop, home and business you own, home and lawful hunting, home and gunshow, etc. Realistically, in a legal contest, I'm not sure what exactly (or where exactly) such a standard rules out (during daylight business hours at least) but that's not a legal contest which you want to have.
    • With respect to ARs, I can only add that rules are beyond stupid.

What to expect in PG (that is, politics, crime, social issues, quality of life)
    Big topic. Not pretty. Yes, the Arts District has appeal and the cost of housing is not the least of it. You could call that neighborhood an oasis. Or a prison. But, really, it is NOT in isolation from PG County. Crime is considerable in Hyattsville, but risk assessments are both personal, subjective and imperfect. Put super-simply, if you park on the street, expect your car to get tampered with or worse, sooner or later. Sooner, if you leave anything in it. Burglaries are not rare (see crime maps on County Police web site, though radius is limited and data may be less than current). Do a lot of late-night drinking? Expect trouble to find you. Like many places, but worse here.

Even friendly folks are likely to bristle if they learn of your interest in the shooting sports. Frankly, I'd keep those cards close. Super-liberal high crime areas are places where guns are, perhaps understandably, most often associated with death and robbery. (For example, note the large funeral homes just north of the Arts District and the threadbare nature of Mount Ranier to the south.) Actual risk patterns may be much more nuanced, of course, but that's not how humans think.

But, yes, given the nutty cost of living in more fashionable parts of the region, PG does offer considerable value for dollar, if not necessarily charm for dollar. And, yes, commuting to DC can be a breeze! Pedestrian scale of neighborhood is nice, and historic homes nearby, but destinations are limited. If you aren't sending any kids to the often dreadful public schools, if you're not a risk-taker in private affairs, and you are not status-driven in your housing choices, a decent, cost-effective life-style can be had around here. (Start at Franklin's BTW.)

Sorry if that sounds lukewarm, but it is a mixed picture in this county. And you deserve a fuller view of it...especially given your radical hobby! :)

Finally, welcome to the neighborhood!

Last edited:

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Personally, I don't think MD is unsalvagable. All that's needed is for Southern Maryland, Western MD, and the Eastern Shore to expel the I-95 axis.

Or secede ourselves. I'm good either way.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    We sound like bitter jerks Goldie but there is a reason. I would love more people like you living in Montgomery County but it's very expensive to live here even with the mortgage meltdown. County taxes are very high and most of the population in concentrated in Mont. Co and PG county. Only reason MoCo has not become as bad as PG co due to crime is because most of the rich people live here. Still we get the break-ins, home invasions, rapes etc.

MoCo has some of the best schools in Maryland... If you go to Chevy Chase or Northern Bethesda.

Also, most of our representatives will refuse to reply to your emails. They are set on their ways and dont care. They think everyone can pay a little more in the name of an additional tax and it will be ok because "it's better for us".

Now, other counties and the Eastern shore are better places just that it's a hike. The closest would be Frederick County but then you will have to put up with the armpit of I270 for a commute. Fredneck is near enough to DC (30 miles) and has a decent metro area and you have also enough wilderness if you get bored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom