• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tkdiver1

Aug 2, 2013
    Hello
    I moved to MD in August of 2013. One of the handguns I brought with me from Delaware was a NAA 22lr mini revolver. I know that it is currently a banned handgun but was it banned before October 1 2013? Am I legal to have it or do I need to give it to my brother who lives in Virginia?
    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It's not banned. It's simply not on the roster, so you can't do a transfer/sale in MD.

A gun that's banned would be something like an HK SP89 or IMI Uzi Pistol.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    The model the Earl can be sold in MD I believe..
    The problem is they don't have trigger guards.. So unless you have a pre 1985 its banned in MD.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    He already does own one, and it's not banned. It's perfectly legal, and he doesn't even have to register it because he moved here before 10/1/13.

Tkdiver1

Aug 2, 2013
    Thanks for the replies. I'm glad I got that straightened out. I'm not looking for any trouble.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Related question...I am curious..

If he moved after 10/1 and its a handgun thus regulated... would he be able to register it if its not on the roster..

I think yes...but...
    Opinions...

It may come up...

fire_medic

Nov 16, 2008
    Calvert County
    Can anyone educate me on resizing pictures?

15818017413_e2f6e7c070_m.jpg

NAA Earl with 4" barrel is on the handgun roster
    Overall Length 7 3/4"
    Overall Height 3 1/8"

16251828299_7bafaf1aef_m.jpg

As well as the Guardians in 32 and 380.
    Overall Length 4.75"
    Overall Height 3.53"

I wish this was on the roster
    16250676790_ef017b800b_m.jpg

Overall Length 5
    Overall Height 2 7/8

I had heard that they weren't because of the concealability of them.
    However the Earl and the Guardian are just as small. Wonder if
    a gun store submitted to the Handgun Roster Board in 2015.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    "If I had a big ol' hoss pistol like that, I wouldn't be skeered o' no booger man." - Rooster Cogburn

----------------

You can copy pictures into Paint, and resize them there. That's an easy way.

-------------------

My understanding is that they're not on the roster because they have no trigger guard.

Isn't the roster only for commercial sales of new, post-'86 handguns? Does it even apply to resale of used guns?

fire_medic

Nov 16, 2008
    Calvert County
    "If I had a big ol' hoss pistol like that, I wouldn't be skeered o' no booger man." - Rooster Cogburn

----------------

You can copy pictures into Paint, and resize them there. That's an easy way.

-------------------

My understanding is that they're not on the roster because they have no trigger guard.

Isn't the roster only for commercial sales of new, post-'86 handguns? Does it even apply to resale of used guns?

The NAA Earl with a 4 inch barrel is on the roster and it,
    too does not have a trigger guard. So that kills that theory.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The way I understand it, they look at how well built and safe the firearm is. They are controlling them based on capacity or concealability. If this were the case, they would not be approving AR and AK pistols and the LCP probably would not have made it.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    AP
    Published: December 7, 1989

PIKESVILLE, Md., Dec. 6— The state has banned the sale or manufacture of eight handguns while approving a list of 677 weapons that can legally be sold in Maryland.

The decisions were made by a nine-member board set up to compile a list of handguns that meet the criteria of a state law passed last year. While the board did not specifically reject 100 other weapons, they will be banned, in effect, because their manufacturers did not submit them for approval.

The Maryland Handgun Roster Board, a nine-member panel, has been working for about a year to compile a list of handguns that meet the criteria of a law passed last year aimed at banning the cheap, low-caliber weapons commonly called Saturday night specials.

Only weapons on the list released this week can be legally sold after Jan. 1, when the law goes into effect. The board will continue to meet periodically to review other weapons, if manufacturers seek approval for their sale.

''Some people said this law would ban all guns in the state of Maryland, but that has not occurred,'' the State Police chief, Elmer Tippett, said Monday after the board completed its work in a meeting at the Maryland State Police training academy here. ''We banned some today and we approved a large number.'' Major Defeat for Gun Lobby

The law, whose passage last year was a major defeat for the nation's gun lobby, permits the sale of pistols that the panel finds are well designed, solidly made and suitable for law enforcement, self-defense or sport. Saturday night specials tend to be poorly made and inaccurate and to have few safety devices.

''Despite the National Rifle Assocation's cries of wolf, we can all clearly see that law-abiding citizens in Maryland will still be able to purchase legitimate handguns,'' said Sarah Brady, wife of the former White House press secretary James Brady, who was shot and severely wounded in the 1981 assassination attempt against President Ronald Reagan.

Mrs. Brady is chairwoman of Handgun Control Inc., a national group that lobbied for passage of the state law.

Rafael Fiol, chairman of the state National Rifle Association, said he disapproved of the board's work.

''I don't think there should be any restriction on law-abiding citizens owning guns,'' he said.

A manufacturers who violates the law can be fined up to $10,000 per gun, and a dealer who sells banned guns could be fined up to $2,500 per gun sold and could lose his or her license. Weapons Not Submitted

Among the 100 or more weapons banned because their makers did not submit them were three of the five guns considered the most popular by criminals, according to statistics from the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

The three guns are the MP-25, a .25-caliber semiautomatic pistol made by Raven Arms in California; the J22, a semiautomatic pistol manufactured by Jennings Firearms of California, and the TEC-9, a 9-millimeter assault pistol made by Intratec, a Florida manufacturer.

The eight handguns considered and banned by the roster board included the American Derringer Corporation's Model 1 .44-caliber Magnum and Model 11 .38-caliber Special; the Lorcin .25-caliber semiautomatic model L-25; Seecamp's LWS .32-caliber and .25-caliber, Precision Small Parts's PSP-25 and Freedom Arms's .22-caliber Long Rifle Mini Revolver and .22-caliber Magnum Mini Revolver.[/COLOR]

The law made no changes in Maryland's requirements for buying a pistol. People must still fill out a form stating, among other things, that they have no criminal record, are not mentally impaired and are not dependent on drugs or alcohol.

''I believe Maryland will be a safer place to live because we have taken the time to consider these guns and their use,'' Gov. William Donald Schaefer said.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Funny, being the Seecamp guns are some of the most finely-made, quality pistols available. Each made by Larry Seecamp himself. Ditto, the Freedom Arms guns.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    So based on the post by Coopermania, the Freedom Arms Mini Revolver was rejected back in 1989. The NAA mini's don't have any relation to Freedom Arms according to their web site. Is there any record of when what guns have been submitted and not accepted? Could it be that the other versions of the mini were not submitted? Could it be that the examples submitted were ones that didn't incorporate the "safety cylinder" improvement. Could the "safety Cylinder" provide sufficient safety that the board would reconsider them if submitted? Sure would be nice to be able to get one of these little gems (or 3)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom