How to transport a pistol to the range on motorcycle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    The exception posted above is an exception, allowing a person to carry a handgun on or about their person if done in a certain manner (in an enclosed case or holster and unloaded and going to an enumerated place.)

That has already been covered and I don't see where we differ.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    A "loaded firearm" has been defined in MD Court cases to include a firearm with loaded magazine inserted into the frame, regardless of whether a round is in the chamber. To transport the firearm unloaded, remove the magazine from the frame.
    Fred did not say to insert a loaded mag or have a round in the chamber. The AG has also issued his opinion on loaded mags not constituting a loaded firearm if it isn't inserted.

Can't figure out what you're arguing about.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Its a lo g gun. Just so its unloaded you're good. I have strapped my Rem 700 or my shotgun to the luggage rack in a case many times to go to our hunting camp. Never had a problem even at toll booth.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Fred did not say to insert a loaded mag or have a round in the chamber. The AG has also issued his opinion on loaded mags not constituting a loaded firearm if it isn't inserted.

Can't figure out what you're arguing about.

I am aware of that.

As to your other point, Fred stated:

Although it may not be legally required, it's probably also a good idea to remove the magazine from the frame and pack it separately within the backpack. Does that sound reasonable?

I was simply pointing out that it would be legally required to remove a magazine from the frame if the magazine is loaded. I know he stated that the range he frequents requires the use of ammunition purchased on-site, but I was trying to make it clear to everyone reading the thread.

The law states an enclosed case (I did misstate container). How is a zipped backpack not an enclosed case? Is a soft-sided pistol case a case?

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    As you just stated "pistol case". Is a zipped jacket pocket a case? After all, it is encased. Like I've said, if you feel comfortable with being able to convince an LEO or a judge that a backpack fits the bill, don't let me stand in the way. Its your future that is at stake. Is it worth the risk? I think not.

IGOR455

Oct 12, 2011
    glen burnout
    i would think that carrying it farthest from yoiu would be good, the backpack and the wingspan concept would work so would htr4 saddle bag or even bungie cordine a casr witgh it on ther rear seat,
    my ideas for this comes from my 40 yrs as apolice since i dont have to worry about it. i have a vespa scootger and sit on astorage space. that would work also since i couldnt get to it. hey juist unload it and case it and carry it as fade from you as you can.
    now going 120 mph on a crotch rocket wedll that would attrqact negative attention to say the least

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Igor455: If you're current or retired LE, what would make YOU the most comfortable--and most likely to send a citizen on his merry way--if encountering a motorcyclist with a handgun? Where would YOU prefer the pistol to be located on a motorcycle and in what condition?

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I think holster carry on a motorcycle is one of those things that may be technically legal, but, in practice, would end up causing alot of grief. I doubt it'd take too long for the soccer mom in the minivan next to you at a stop light to freak, ring 911 and put an end to an otherwise uneventful day at the range.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As in all discussions vaguely of this type , there are at least four answers :
    1. The actual Md Statute
    2. Publicly stated "sugguestions" of various LE Agencies.
    3. Random thoughts of random Ofc , often off the wall.
    4. The course of a reasonable and prudent person.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    Where is wing span wrote into the law?

The firearm needs to be unloaded and the firearm needs to be in a container and a holster counts as a container.

MD law does not say anything about being out of reach of the driver/passenger, the magazines must be unloaded, or the firearm needs to be stored separately from the firearm...just unloaded and it has to meet one of the transportation exceptions which to and from the range would.

Not a lawyer...do your own research or call one for legal advice.

technically, the law allows you to wear the gun (unloaded of course) to and from the range if you so choose. i wouldn't do it, because no matter what the law says if a cop sees you i am certain you would end up in jail.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    Range rules have no bearing in this discussion. What matters is the Maryland law on transporting firearms and for carrying concealed on or about your person. If you put a handgun in a backpack YOU ARE CARRYING ON OR ABOUT YOUR PERSON. Do that without a permit and you're committing a felony. Get convicted and loose all your rights to own a firearm. Put your gun I'm a holster or box and ammo in a saddlebag and you're good to go.

i do believe you are incorrect sir. the statute that allows you to transport your handgun to and from the range allows you to wear it as well.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    If you are transporting a handgun IN A BOX OR ENCLOSED HOLSTER in the backpack you good to go. Again, the ammo is NOT required to be in a separate compartment. The key is in the way the gun is contained. If you simply toss your 1911 in your pack, good luck in court.

Straightshooter, you're shooting pretty crooked. :lol2:

no offense brother, but you are completely wrong.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Wow,pretty heated on this topic. If you want to be entirely safe in MD, just get rid of your guns and be done with it.

Kidding.

So if you take the precautions mentioned here let's take a minimalist approach that to me seems reasonable and workable and will fit within the law as written (I'm not a lawyer, your mileage may vary, yada yada yada)

If you don't have saddlebags and just using a backpack, get one with at least two zippered compartments.
    Place your handgun in a holster, or even better a zippered pistol pouch, then put that in the smaller of the two backpack compartments.
    Magazines and ammo go in the larger compartment, your choice to have magazines loaded or not, I personally prefer unloaded.
    If you want to be extra careful, put a small luggage lock on the compartment with the pistol.
    Now you have the pistol unloaded and "cased" and separate from the ammo.

Even while traveling in a car, this setup meets all the requirements of the law. It's no different than using a range baton the front floorboard of a truck from a legal standpoint.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    technically, the law allows you to wear the gun (unloaded of course) to and from the range if you so choose. i wouldn't do it, because no matter what the law says if a cop sees you i am certain you would end up in jail.

You are correct but that section does not allow you to carry concealed without a permit.

i do believe you are incorrect sir. the statute that allows you to transport your handgun to and from the range allows you to wear it as well.

See the above. You might want to check FSA 2013 for the punishment for that.

Straightshooter, you're shooting pretty crooked. :lol2:

no offense brother, but you are completely wrong.

Show me where I'm wrong other than in your opinion because that won't help anyone in court.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Wow,pretty heated on this topic. If you want to be entirely safe in MD, just get rid of your guns and be done with it.

Kidding.

So if you take the precautions mentioned here let's take a minimalist approach that to me seems reasonable and workable and will fit within the law as written (I'm not a lawyer, your mileage may vary, yada yada yada)

If you don't have saddlebags and just using a backpack, get one with at least two zippered compartments.
    Place your handgun in a holster, or even better a zippered pistol pouch, then put that in the smaller of the two backpack compartments.
    Magazines and ammo go in the larger compartment, your choice to have magazines loaded or not, I personally prefer unloaded.
    If you want to be extra careful, put a small luggage lock on the compartment with the pistol.
    Now you have the pistol unloaded and "cased" and separate from the ammo.

Even while traveling in a car, this setup meets all the requirements of the law. It's no different than using a range baton the front floorboard of a truck from a legal standpoint.

There you go trying to make things simple.:) That type of meddling will never work on MDS. Keep in mind, there's still no need to keep the ammo separate.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom