• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I have been considering getting back into custom golf club building, fitting and repair... I suppose I would have to see what the threshold would be between 'hobbyist' and 'business'...

IRS will let you know :D . That only comes up with people in hobbies trying to write off things pretending to be a business. Sounds like your venture would bring in taxable income, and as long as that is the case, not a hobby. People in the horse business that lose money year after year get much scrutiny on this..

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The Tax Man rarely complains about people wanting to pay taxes.

The MD Comptroller's office does. Once you fall below a certain monthly or quarterly quota, they don't want you buying wholesale without paying sales tax or collecting sales tax.

You can always apply for a tax exempt number, but if you can't keep up a volume that the Comptroller's office sees as profitable to the state to handle the paperwork, your number will be revoked.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    The MD Comptroller's office does. Once you fall below a certain monthly or quarterly quota, they don't want you buying wholesale without paying sales tax or collecting sales tax.

You can always apply for a tax exempt number, but if you can't keep up a volume that the Comptroller's office sees as profitable to the state to handle the paperwork, your number will be revoked.

Source?

Mr H

Banana'd

I could see that, if you're not a reseller.

But, then, I thought that was the main purpose of a tax-exempt number, to ensure goods were [ostensibly] only taxed once.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I could see that, if you're not a reseller.

But, then, I thought that was the main purpose of a tax-exempt number, to ensure goods were [ostensibly] only taxed once.

Correct, if your volume is low enough, you pay the sales tax at the wholesale level and don't collect as a retailer.

Even as a reseller, it doesn't matter. If you aren't collecting enough $$$$ to make the paperwork processing worthwhile to the state, they want you paying sales tax on your purchases rather than collecting it on your sales.

Been there, done that when I closed my full time shop and went to work for someone else, still doing a little work on the side of my own. Tried to keep the number I'd been using for 10 years, but fell below the threshold.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    When business slows down, they switch you from monthly to quarterly reporting.

I've never heard of a resale tax Id being revoked.

The state still collects any taxes you charge when you sell goods. If you no longer had a resale tax Id, how would you pay Frachot his 6%?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    When business slows down, they switch you from monthly to quarterly reporting.

I've never heard of a resale tax Id being revoked.

The state still collects any taxes you charge when you sell goods. If you no longer had a resale tax Id, how would you pay Frachot his 6%?

Yep, went from monthly to quarterly, then revoked. If I recall, I could have asked for another year of quarterly if I told them I expected my taxable volume to go back up, but I didn't want to lie to them.

Franchot gets his when the business buys, the sales tax is being collected - just once, when the wholesaler collects it.

In a labor heavy service trade, the parts/materials can be a very small part of a big job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom