• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • airbornebear

May 30, 2015
    Hey guys,(already did my intro)

I got a question about transferring a handgun.
    So when I turned 21(in North Carolina) I traded my remington 700 Varmint for a Colt Gold Cup National Match from the original Owner.
    It was a gentlemans agreement and we didn't transfer any paperwork. And now I am intending on selling it to a friend of mine who is a skeptical of how to do this as I.
    It's still registered in the Original owner's name and I have lost contact with him.

SO-
    how do I go about transferring it to my friend?
    If that is even possible...I think it is. If it matters, I'm military.

any help would be appreciated. and
    enjoy your weekends gentlemen

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Another newbie who has skirted the law. Suspicions arise from the usual crowd.

I can only advise you how to comply with the law in the future. Take the unloaded gun in the trunk of your car and your friend to the nearest state police barracks (assuming you are in MD) Friend fills out forms, you keep the gun for 7 days. At the most they might ask to look at the gun and your ID. If he is not disapproved you get your money he gets your gun in 7 days.

Aside from the ATF, I'm not sure where you think the gun might be registered, but in MD it isn't like a car, where they make an effort to change registration with a change in owner. Think of it as a giant tattoo from your waist to your neck. It stays with the original owner for eternity. No it doesn't make sense, but it's Maryland where an ex-governor thinks his fiscal mismanagement of the state qualifies him to be President.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom