• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyeraxus

Ultimate Member
    May 15, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Some of you might remember that I got my first handgun for Christmas this past year. I've been out shooting with it twice before, but since I had the day off, I went out today to see what I can actually do. And the answer is "not much."

I put about 150 rounds into a bunch of B-16 targets from between 5-10 yards (I know, they're supposed to be 25 yard targets, I used what the range had)... and probably 95% of the rounds landed on the paper, so that's something anyway. Groups (if they could be called such) were horrible, and mostly consistently down and right, so I think I'm jerking the trigger rather than squeezing. I also wore out my supporting hand thumb - it seemed like every shot's recoil pushed the trigger guard back into the tip of my thumb, so I know I'm doing something wrong there, too.

So, long story short, I need to learn to shoot a handgun correctly. Anybody got any good resources I can start with until I can get into a class?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Watch you tube videos. I get tips from there a lot. You can also practice your trigger pull at home. If you have a red dot you can really see what you're doing wrong.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The best money you can spend right now is on a couple of hours with a good firearms instructor. Early on it is easy to get into bad habits that are difficult to undo later on.

The best money you can spend right now is on a couple of hours with a good firearms instructor. Early on it is easy to get into bad habits that are difficult to undo later on.

Better to spend some money with a trainer than to spend hundreds on wasted ammo. get some snap caps. Helped me tremendously practicing dry firing.
    Keep us posted on your progress.:gun2::gun3::popcorn:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I would be happy to work with you and help you get proficient with your handgun. PM me for rates and to schedule some range time.

PHRFcrewman

Jul 20, 2014
    Hamilton, Baltimore
    Tyler Firearms is having an NRA Pistols class in early August. Don't know if there's still room though.

I'm very new to Pistols, so I signed up for the class, just to get a solid foundation.

Plus, Chuck is very easy to talk to, and a wealth of information.

Cheers.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    OP, for offhand handgun shooting, getting consistent groupings at 25 yards into the black of a B-16 target requires expert skill. Most handguns are designed for shots within 15-20 feet, if not within 10 feet. Focus on the fundamentals at 10 feet and then try 25 feet. If you can consistently hit the black at 25 feet, it's more than adequate if your goal is self-defense competency.

One thing that can help a lot is a laser, be it laser grips, a bore laser, or whatever. You can practice dry firing at home (basement, large room, long hallway, etc). The laser should make it easy to see what you're doing right or wrong and when you're doing it, especially if somebody else is there to watch and offer constructive feedback.

Another possibility is that your hands and/or fingers are too large or small for your handgun. It happens often.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Dry firing without a laser is good practice.

One tip I used was to balance a penny or dime on the front sight and pull the trigger without displacing the coin. Helps to learn to squeeze the trigger.

If the tip of your thumb is getting tagged, are you using a high thumb grip? That is the support thumb is over top of the strong hand thumb. It gets the tip of the thumb away from the trigger guard.

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    There's a good article by Massad Ayoob that was really helpful for me just google how to shoot a handgun accurately and it pops up at the top

Tyeraxus

Ultimate Member
    May 15, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Thanks everybody. I'm looking in to classes in the area, but time is a restraint - between work and family commitments, my shooting planning tends to be "I've got nothing going on today, I'm going to the range!"

I'd be ecstatic if I was making the shots I did at 25 yards. Unfortunately, I was shooting between 5 and 10 yards, mostly at 7. When I can't keep all 15 shots on the paper at 7 yards, I need work. Leaving the range today, I thought "if a zombie apocalypse happened right now, I'd be screwed."

I actually had the basic NRA safety course years ago in college. I just can't shoot for crap, and a fellow should be able to shoot with his own gun.

Another possibility is that your hands and/or fingers are too large or small for your handgun. It happens often.

I did shoot a little better after I changed to a larger backstrap halfway through, so there's probably something to that.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    You dont need a class. You need a pistol instructor watch you for 5 rounds and tell you what you are doing wrong. Another hour and one box of ammo later, you are going to put holes in a paper plate at 25yards.
    I dont know what kind of handgun your purchased, but for training purposes you may benefit from using a .22 until you get the technical part down. I know when I started shooting a .40 instead of a 9mm, I developed a flinch that took time to get rid of.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    For me consistent practice is important. I have noticed if I let too much time pass between range trips or dry fire practice, a lot of my old habits start showing back up.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    not sure where you work (looks like NoVa is home for you) but I could meet you at blue ridge arsenal indoor range one weekday at lunch and give you some pointers. no charge from me, just helping a forum buddy out, but you'd have to cover the lane fee. I'm not an instructor and not an expert, but am a B shooter in uspsa and SS in idpa (which just means there are lots better than me...) and have helped get a few folks started and get better.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Do not mean to hurt any feelings, but GO TO A QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR.

Well meaning people can mess you up more than you can imagine. Even if they are good shooters themselves. There is a LOT more to instructing that knowing how to do it.

I did not understand this myself, until I became certified to instruct in several areas.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I would be happy to work with you and help you get proficient with your handgun. PM me for rates and to schedule some range time.

This... :thumbsup:

It won't be free, but you will get MORE than what you pay for.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Do not mean to hurt any feelings, but GO TO A QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR.

Well meaning people can mess you up more than you can imagine. Even if they are good shooters themselves. There is a LOT more to instructing that knowing how to do it.

I did not understand this myself, until I became certified to instruct in several areas.

Yeah, I'll have to disagree with your statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom