• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MindOOB

Jul 6, 2012
    So I was cruising around facebook and found a company called Arc Light Defense - has anyone heard about this company at all? They had an interesting class coming up in June called the Street Survivor Level 1 course. Quotes below from the class description on their site.

Class Date: June 7,2014

"Bridging the gap between firearms and martial arts is one of the most important things to understand to make yourself a harder target and to come out on top in violent encounters. We have seen too many people who are in the martial arts or firearms disciplines that will discredit each other. The firearm is the ultimate equalizer making the 120 lbs female have an equal opportunity to contend with the 300 lbs male. But of course the gun is a mechanical device that can malfunction or run dry. So what is the gun to you if you don’t have the means to get it back in the fight? And of course, on the other hand, when you are dealing with incapacitating one threat, three more are moving in for the kill.

There is a balance to everything and ALD will take you down the path to finding it!"

Link to course - arclightdefense.com/street-survivor-lvl-i/

Does anyone know who their founder and lead instructor is: Andrew James Wynne- Founder / Lead Instructor? Is he a good instructor? This sounds really cool but wanted to get everyone's feedback. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Their company is brand new so you may not find much on them. My understanding is that AJ is connected with Engage. I heard he is a great shot, and I think he assisted with some classes that they had at their range in Thurmont last year with either Haley or Falla or both. That's as much as I know.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I don't know anything about the outfit, but the premise is a welcome improvement over traditional self defense handgun training. IMHO, most of it should be grappling and firearm retention vs just the range work so often offered.

MindOOB

Jul 6, 2012
    Their company is brand new so you may not find much on them. My understanding is that AJ is connected with Engage. I heard he is a great shot, and I think he assisted with some classes that they had at their range in Thurmont last year with either Haley or Falla or both. That's as much as I know.

Oh ok. Guess I will reach out to Engage and see if I can get some more information. Thanks for the help!

I don't know anything about the outfit, but the premise is a welcome improvement over traditional self defense handgun training. IMHO, most of it should be grappling and firearm retention vs just the range work so often offered.

Agreed, not that there is anything wrong with the traditional classes. Its good to see new ways of incorporating different training around one premise (survival - weapons manipulation and hand to hand).

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Oh ok. Guess I will reach out to Engage and see if I can get some more information. Thanks for the help!

Agreed, not that there is anything wrong with the traditional classes. Its good to see new ways of incorporating different training around one premise (survival - weapons manipulation and hand to hand).

Hey Man,

We are not associated with Arc Light other than AJ used to work here. He recently left us to focus on growing Arc Light. I dont know anything about the class other than AJ is a good guy and a good instructor and will probably bring national level training to local clientele.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    A very good friend of mine is the other party that will be offering the jiu-jitsu portion of the training. I met with AJ and Mike and chatted about the course and it's definately going to be very beneficial to those who attend. No matter your skill level I'm sure you will come away from this class having learned something.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    MindOOB, you may have met AJ at Ted's place... he was around for a little while the second day we were there. You would not forget the tactical beard.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    So I was cruising around facebook and found a company called Arc Light Defense - has anyone heard about this company at all? They had an interesting class coming up in June called the Street Survivor Level 1 course. Quotes below from the class description on their site.

Class Date: June 7,2014

"Bridging the gap between firearms and martial arts is one of the most important things to understand to make yourself a harder target and to come out on top in violent encounters. We have seen too many people who are in the martial arts or firearms disciplines that will discredit each other. The firearm is the ultimate equalizer making the 120 lbs female have an equal opportunity to contend with the 300 lbs male. But of course the gun is a mechanical device that can malfunction or run dry. So what is the gun to you if you don’t have the means to get it back in the fight? And of course, on the other hand, when you are dealing with incapacitating one threat, three more are moving in for the kill.

There is a balance to everything and ALD will take you down the path to finding it!"

Link to course - arclightdefense.com/street-survivor-lvl-i/

Does anyone know who their founder and lead instructor is: Andrew James Wynne- Founder / Lead Instructor? Is he a good instructor? This sounds really cool but wanted to get everyone's feedback. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

If AJ is the AJ im thinking of, he is a relative of one of my best friends. If it is the same guy, he was MARSOC and a serious combat veteran. I would take one of his classes for sure.

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.

Tom Perroni

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2009
    Virginia
    If AJ is the AJ im thinking of, he is a relative of one of my best friends. If it is the same guy, he was MARSOC and a serious combat veteran. I would take one of his classes for sure.

With all due respect......AJ is not..was not MARSOC he may have worked in a support capacity for them but that is all. You can ask him and he will tell you himself.

Please note that I'm not saying he is not a good Instructor or a good guy...Just not MARSOC.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    With all due respect......AJ is not..was not MARSOC he may have worked in a support capacity for them but that is all. You can ask him and he will tell you himself.

Please note that I'm not saying he is not a good Instructor or a good guy...Just not MARSOC.

I don't know what the lingo actually means, but this is what appears at the end of his posts here;

Former MARSOC Engineer Enabler and Combat Marksmanship Coach
    One Combat Tour to Afghanistan under SOTF-82 Engineers

If memory serves, he came on here maybe 2 years ago? and was trying to find out how to become an instructor, and then he started working for Engage. I'm sure he can explain further if there is a question.....

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN

My info was secondhand. Good to hear he is a good instructor!

GunnerJacky

Apr 24, 2014
    To make yourself self defensive, street survival is the best option. There are different techniques of firearms and martial arts which you can learn in the street survival course by an expert. It is nice to join this course.

7A38

Sep 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    I don't know about the martial arts stuff. But when it comes to guns and gun fighting, AJ is absolutely legitimate. From my interactions with him, he's a good guy, good shooter, and good instructor. For what it's worth, Travis Haley (formerly of Magpul) told me privately that AJ was a good instructor. I have known Travis for many years, and he would not have told me that unless he really believed it.

My only issue with AJ is that he is a pretty humble guy. He's not some loud mouth that brags about this or that, and puts down other instructors. I say that's an issue because to be successful with this new business, it would probably help if he had more of a salesman/bull$hitter personality. But, he's a very genuine guy.

Oh, and AJ has probably been in well over a hundred firefights. But I doubt you'll ever hear him say anything about that.

7A38

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    AJ is good people and knows his shit. I'm glad to hear he's a good instructor as well. A lot of people are right badasses but can't teach worth a damn.

I don't think I'll be taking this one but I will be taking some carbine courses later on in the year.

Last edited:

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    There's a course schedule button across the top. Shows what dates the courses are. If you need a specific start time then you can call // email him. Same with address. Although I'm thinking he probably sends that out in a confirmation email.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    AJ attended the MD Licensed Instructor course with me. He was one of only a few in the class that appeared to really know what they were doing. 'Whiskey' and 'Perrin' being a couple others.

Now that I know AJ is associated with arc light, I'll look into it; interested in taking this course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom