• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Do you need to fill out a 5320.20 for each location you are going to travel with your SBR? I have multiple ranges I like to shoot at in Virginia. Do I need one for each location?

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Do you need to fill out a 5320.20 for each location you are going to travel with your SBR? I have multiple ranges I like to shoot at in Virginia. Do I need one for each location?

Not sure, give the NFA branch a call. Im sure they'll give you a quick answer.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Fill out a 5320.20 for an entire year (365 days, not calendar year), that will cover you for your trips to VA.

It also saves the ATF people from approving multiple requests.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Fill out a 5320.20 for an entire year (365 days, not calendar year), that will cover you for your trips to VA.

It also saves the ATF people from approving multiple requests.

I was planning on doing the entire year. Does filling out one 5320.20 for a travel to a specific range in VA cover you for travel to others in VA though?

netcentry

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore, MD

I have been planning on applying for a SBR on one of my AR15 receiver and Glock 9mm.

I did not realize you need to get permission to also transport the SBR item to different locations. Can someone give more details into this?

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    I have been planning on applying for a SBR on one of my AR15 receiver and Glock 9mm.

I did not realize you need to get permission to also transport the SBR item to different locations. Can someone give more details into this?

Yes, for traveling out of the state in which your NFA item is registered. Travel within the same state does not require a 5320.20.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-firearms.html

Q: Does the registered owner of a destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle need authorization to lawfully transport such items interstate?

Yes, unless the owner is a qualified dealer, manufacturer or importer, or a licensed collector transporting only curios or relics. Prior approval must be obtained, even if the move is temporary. Approval is requested by either submitting a letter containing all necessary information, or by submitting ATF Form 5320.20 to the Bureau of ATF, NFA Branch. Possession of the firearms also must comply with all State and local laws.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (4), 27 CFR 478.28]

http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-5320-20.pdf

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Depends on the person and/or purpose. I use my other residence.

I do have a family cabin in VA, however that is not where these ranges are located. I guess I will just use the "CYA" method and submit separate ones for each.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I do have a family cabin in VA, however that is not where these ranges are located. I guess I will just use the "CYA" method and submit separate ones for each.

Thats what I would do. Better safe than............

netcentry

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes, for traveling out of the state in which your NFA item is registered. Travel within the same state does not require a 5320.20.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-firearms.html

Q: Does the registered owner of a destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle need authorization to lawfully transport such items interstate?

Yes, unless the owner is a qualified dealer, manufacturer or importer, or a licensed collector transporting only curios or relics. Prior approval must be obtained, even if the move is temporary. Approval is requested by either submitting a letter containing all necessary information, or by submitting ATF Form 5320.20 to the Bureau of ATF, NFA Branch. Possession of the firearms also must comply with all State and local laws.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (4), 27 CFR 478.28]

http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-5320-20.pdf

Its a good thing I saw this thread. Thanks for the info.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Yes, you have to enter a physical address.

Or the best description that you have. I do 5320.20's every year for a friend's 300 acre undeveloped property in VA. For number and street address I list the 2 numbered routes that boarder his property and note "with gravel access off Rt. 202". I reference the property Owner's name in section 5. Reason for transportation of firearms. "Take to 300+ acre property owned by "my buddy's name here" for target shooting"

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Or the best description that you have. I do 5320.20's every year for a friend's 300 acre undeveloped property in VA. For number and street address I list the 2 numbered routes that boarder his property and note "with gravel access off Rt. 202". I reference the property Owner's name in section 5. Reason for transportation of firearms. "Take to 300+ acre property owned by "my buddy's name here" for target shooting"

Crap....should have scrolled down some more.:o

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

The way I see it. By using my home addresses, it doesn't matter what range or place I go to. The NFA item will be at a home address the majority of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom