• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Rusty,

Thanks for the help with the Trust and helping me out with getting the paperwork substituted on a Suppressor already in the works. I highly recommend "Rusty" for an NFA trust.

I also encourage anyone with NFA items to do a trust. Its simple and will save you many headaches. Even if you only have 1 NFA item. For those already with items in the queue with ATF you can still get the NFA trust done and not loose your place in line. Dana Pickles is the designated examiner for our area but my paper work is being handled by Chris(tina) Farris. She is very helpful.

Last edited:

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Depends really.

If you're using form 1, then fingerprinting/CLEO signoff would be after (because you already own the rifle that you're now manufacturing into a SBR).

If it's form 4, then you've dropped a deposit or paid an 07 FFL/SOT upfront but it hasn't been transferred to you yet. So in this instance, I'd call it before.

Last edited:

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    What is the advantage of a trust (over no trust) for a childless single person?

Trusts are perfect for those who are married and/or have children. It allows those named in the trust to be in possession of the NFA items in the trust at any time. If the forms were filed as an individual, only the person who's name the form is filed under is allowed to be in possession. It also allows for an easier ownership transition if there is a death in the family.

The other benefit of a trust is there is no requirement for photos, fingerprints, or CLEO signoff. Its really not a big deal but does add addtional time to the process. Some who are not married and have no children file using a trust to simply save time since there is no CLEO signoff requirement for trusts. CLEO signoff in MD can take anywhere from 6-8 weeks on average.

No photos, fingerprints or waiting weeks for CLEO to sign off on it (assuming they would sign off on it in the first place)

MSP always signs off on forms filed as an individual. Ive never heard of them refusing to do so as long as it is legal for the applicant to own a regulated firearm. All my forms (1's & 4's) have been signed off by MSP without issue. Try not to assume things as it usually leads to unbased rumors spreading around.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    My question is what happens when you now to another state? Do all states see a trust as the same?

Trusts are governed by state law. Any person with a trust that relocates to a new state of RESIDENCE will need to have their trust reviewed by a competent legal professional in that jurisdiction to ensure that the trust complies with state trust law (unless, of course, the NFA items or other property held in trust remains in the original jurisdiction).

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    You're welcome and thank you for the kind words!

Rusty,

Thanks for the help with the Trust and helping me out with getting the paperwork substituted on a Suppressor already in the works. I highly recommend "Rusty" for an NFA trust.

I also encourage anyone with NFA items to do a trust. Its simple and will save you many headaches. Even if you only have 1 NFA item. For those already with items in the queue with ATF you can still get the NFA trust done and not loose your place in line. Dana Pickles is the designated examiner for our area but my paper work is being handled by Chris(tina) Farris. She is very helpful.

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    Given the current NFA wait times, how much time would you save using a trust? Since you wouldn't need prints, pictures or a CLEO sign off.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Given the current NFA wait times, how much time would you save using a trust? Since you wouldn't need prints, pictures or a CLEO sign off.
    6-8 weeks on average. Thats generally how long it takes MSP to sign and return "Individual" forms.

GasTerp09

Major League Gas Passer
    Dec 3, 2011
    Towson, MD
    Is this something generally done before a purchase or after?

Doesn't have to be done before the purchase. You just need to include a copy of the executed and notarized trust with your form 1/4 when you are ready to send paperwork to the ATF.

Rusty did my trust as well. I'm very happy with the whole process.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    If one doesn't plan on owning a suppressor, then one wouldn't need NFA Trust. Right?
    I know other items fall under NFA, but I forgot what they are.

As far as the standard fiearms (handguns and rifles), I assume they can pass down to relatives under a will, e.g. from husband to wife.

GasTerp09

Major League Gas Passer
    Dec 3, 2011
    Towson, MD
    If one doesn't plan on owning a suppressor, then one wouldn't need NFA Trust. Right?
    I know other items fall under NFA, but I forgot what they are.

As far as the standard fiearms (handguns and rifles), I assume they can pass down to relatives under a will, e.g. from husband to wife.

Short barreled rifles, automatic rifles, short barreled shotguns, and suppressors are just some of the things that fall under the NFA. Consult a legal professional to find out what the law says about wills, disposition of NFA property, etc.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you have a person you trust and want to lend him your NFA firearm, including that person in the trust allows he/she to possess the weapon legally. Constructive possession is a concern for NFA firearms. Rusty can elaborate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom