• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    I'm getting parts together for a SBR AR-15 and need some advice. Rifle will be fired suppressed most of the time. Using YHM suppressor and 10.5 barrel. What would be the best buffer weight to start with? Stock carbine or heavier?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Use the heaviest buffer/spring combo the gun will lock the bolt on an empty mag reliably. It'll take some experimentation to get it right.

I have 2 diff't spring and buffers, 1 for suppressed, 1 for unsuppressed.

My suppressed setup is a standard Carbine action spring and standard carbine buffer, unsuppressed uses a Wolff XP spring and a T2 Buffer, can used was a YHM can, but this is a 300BLK, not a 5.56

I'd start from the heaviest you have available, and work to the lightest.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I agree with everything said, but would suggest a slightly different route. Use a bolt carrier weight system like this. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598476/tubb-ar-15-cws-bolt-carrier-weight-system

I have 10.5 inch 5.56 and .300 BLK SBR's, which run H2 buffers. When I run them suppressed, I add weight to the bolt carrier. It's far easier and simpler than swapping buffers. It also lets you experiment with different buffer weights without paying the loads of cash for a full set of heavy buffers (suppressed guns can run VERY heavy and VERY expensive buffers) for the trial and error method.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Never seen that system, interesting.

Definitely cheaper than buying additional buffers.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    I agree with everything said, but would suggest a slightly different route. Use a bolt carrier weight system like this. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598476/tubb-ar-15-cws-bolt-carrier-weight-system

I have 10.5 inch 5.56 and .300 BLK SBR's, which run H2 buffers. When I run them suppressed, I add weight to the bolt carrier. It's far easier and simpler than swapping buffers. It also lets you experiment with different buffer weights without paying the loads of cash for a full set of heavy buffers (suppressed guns can run VERY heavy and VERY expensive buffers) for the trial and error method.

Most interesting, thanks for sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom