• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pendragon

2nd U.S. Cavalry Veteran
    Sep 20, 2011
    Edgewood, MD
    Hello everyone. I am currently employed as an unarmed security officer. I was informed by MSP that my Armed License should be issued to me as early as the end of November 2013.

My company has very few armed contracts, so I am looking for another employment venue. I was curious if anyone had any insider tips for companies who operate in the Baltimore area.

Thanks.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You mean the armed license that the company sponsors you for, right? Since the employee doesn't actually "have" the license to take from employer to employer?

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    Hello everyone. I am currently employed as an unarmed security officer. I was informed by MSP that my Armed License should be issued to me as early as the end of November 2013.

My company has very few armed contracts, so I am looking for another employment venue. I was curious if anyone had any insider tips for companies who operate in the Baltimore area.

Thanks.

Ya do not mess with them unless you want to be a floater occasionally doing armed work. If you are serious about going armed look at the bigger security companies like Allied Barton /Whackanut and that french word for security are going to be your best bets on working armed . Note that these companies are not going to pay you squat and more then likely you will still be working unarmed sites for unarmed rates of pay.

If it was me I would go into a PD and moonlight as security for 50 -100 bucks an hour to watch DVD's and listen to music in my car. This is where you are going to make your real serious money . Most officers I have met make 75,000 a year doing security as a side job with 25,000 a year as an entry level police officer. BCPD is always hiring as once an officer get two or three years in they will lateral out to a better department away from the cesspool that is Baltimore city.

Pendragon

2nd U.S. Cavalry Veteran
    Sep 20, 2011
    Edgewood, MD
    Thanks for the input. Since I left the Army this was the first unarmed security position that I have held. I worked Nuclear Security in California, Nevada and Pennsylvania. I might just have to try that route again.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    If it was me I would go into a PD and moonlight as security for 50 -100 bucks an hour to watch DVD's and listen to music in my car. This is where you are going to make your real serious money . Most officers I have met make 75,000 a year doing security as a side job with 25,000 a year as an entry level police officer. BCPD is always hiring as once an officer get two or three years in they will lateral out to a better department away from the cesspool that is Baltimore city.

WHAT?

I can not make sense of your numbers at all.

MOST off duty police gigs are between 25-35 at a high. The average is NO WHERE NEAR 50-100 a hour.

Base starting pay of 25k? Not in this state.

You'd be working part time every day for 6-8 hours a day to pull in 35-45k a year extra let a lone 75k you quoted.

Does armored car pay any better then "guards"?

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I was wondering about this myself. I would think so because they transport valuables, which is a very specialized service.

Armored guards don't make jack! I worked for one when I first got off active duty $14hr was all I made and after talking to others doing the same work I made more than they did. Dunbar was paying guards $12 and drivers $10.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I was wondering about this myself. I would think so because they transport valuables, which is a very specialized service.

Armored guards don't make jack! I worked for one when I first got off active duty $14hr was all I made and after talking to others doing the same work I made more than they did. Dunbar was paying guards $12 and drivers $10.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I believe Clandestine used to work for Garda, send him a PM.

The only guard work I know of paying those high rates are for executive protection services. And if the client needs four or five guys making that much an hour, you probably don't want to be in the way of the people he has screwed over or pissed off.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    I have a buddy who does armed security at under armour and local grocery stores during the holidays. $25-30hr

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Moonlighting PG Ofcs were getting $25-35/hr , and up to $50 (cash) for really "active" gigs ... 30yrs ago . Allowing for inflation, I'd expect more now.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    WHAT?

I can not make sense of your numbers at all.

MOST off duty police gigs are between 25-35 at a high. The average is NO WHERE NEAR 50-100 a hour.

Base starting pay of 25k? Not in this state.

You'd be working part time every day for 6-8 hours a day to pull in 35-45k a year extra let a lone 75k you quoted.

Does armored car pay any better then "guards"?

No way bro!!! After 9/11 people were paying A CRAP TON!!

I actually know of 2-3 gigs that are D.C. approvable and 75-100 bucks an hour.

There are way more at the rate your talking about but there are a crap ton of ones that pay boku. I personally try not to mess with it because court is more steady and I like arresting criminals but they are out there.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Also OP Armed security guard positions are usually jokes. Check with allied barton and Hawk-one but for the most part your manning a crappy post or calling us while you hide in your guard shack.

Another one that actually pays kind of decent (if there are positions available) and they sponsor you is being NASA Goddard Security. Check into them

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    No way bro!!! After 9/11 people were paying A CRAP TON!!

I actually know of 2-3 gigs that are D.C. approvable and 75-100 bucks an hour.

There are way more at the rate your talking about but there are a crap ton of ones that pay boku. I personally try not to mess with it because court is more steady and I like arresting criminals but they are out there.

My post was in general of course you might find a few high paying gigs but average around the Baltimore area is no where near what was posted.

The high paying jobs typically involve driving an looking after VIPs and aren't open to everyone it anyone who raises their hand.

DC might be different but you still likely aren't making the numbers that guy posted.

Court is easier. Have fun filing that workers comp claim for someone who paid you as a guard for a few nights....

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN

I had a part time gig with Dunbar like 5 years ago drivin trucks. $10.50 an hour. Left in a HURRY. Plus those guys are IDIOTS. Many of them impersonate police officers with their little purchased dunbar badge and none of them should have carry permits. The guys at that company were seriously scary. AVOID IT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom