• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I may try that. If it doesn't work, it may have some 7.62mm holes thru it. I have a suspicion who wouuld be in range and have the knowledge to fvck with my stuff.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    UPDATE;

Okay, so I had been trying to log into the Belkin router from a bad computer. I hooked my netbook directly to the router to access it. Using the DHCP list, I did find an unauthorized device on our network. I double checked by turning on and off devices to make sure nothing was cloned. Then I turned on MAC filtering for our confirmed devices. After doing so, I restarted the router and confirmed only our allowed devices were on.

Question, can somehow find out what kind of device something is by looking up a MAC address? Trying to confirm who I think "may" have attempted this. Fortunately we did not do any online transactions since discovering the intrusion on Sunday, but I have no idea how much acces they can gain to our computers or phones by getting onto the network.

lilmike1464

Oct 12, 2013
    Baltimore City, MD
    UPDATE;

Okay, so I had been trying to log into the Belkin router from a bad computer. I hooked my netbook directly to the router to access it. Using the DHCP list, I did find an unauthorized device on our network. I double checked by turning on and off devices to make sure nothing was cloned. Then I turned on MAC filtering for our confirmed devices. After doing so, I restarted the router and confirmed only our allowed devices were on.

Question, can somehow find out what kind of device something is by looking up a MAC address? Trying to confirm who I think "may" have attempted this. Fortunately we did not do any online transactions since discovering the intrusion on Sunday, but I have no idea how much acces they can gain to our computers or phones by getting onto the network.

http://hwaddress.com

whitelightning777

May 20, 2013
    Invest in a a UPS (battery backup) for your router and modem. That'll prevent them from forgetting your settings or even worse resetting to open with no security at all. You'd be amazed at how many issues go away once a battery backup is used.

Obviously, a modestly sized unit will be fine.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    So, I have evidently only gotten 4 of our 5 devices back on the network. My wife's net book still won't get on. I put it's MAC address in the MAC filtering. It was set to auto obtain an address from the router. However, it said it was connected but with limited connection, and still can't get on the web. I checked it's IP for the wireless and it comes up as like 169.210.x.x or something, as it did when it was the only device able to access the internet before I reset it. I reset her wireless IP to our scheme, 192.168.x.x, and it says it connects, but can't access the internet. This is weird. When I get home from work I will mess with it more. The intruder's MAC Address is 1C:C1:DE:4F:7C:4L , so if anyone can tell me the kind of device it is, that would be super awesome.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    So, I have evidently only gotten 4 of our 5 devices back on the network. My wife's net book still won't get on. I put it's MAC address in the MAC filtering. It was set to auto obtain an address from the router. However, it said it was connected but with limited connection, and still can't get on the web. I checked it's IP for the wireless and it comes up as like 169.210.x.x or something, as it did when it was the only device able to access the internet before I reset it. I reset her wireless IP to our scheme, 192.168.x.x, and it says it connects, but can't access the internet. This is weird. When I get home from work I will mess with it more. The intruder's MAC Address is 1C:C1:DE:4F:7C:4L , so if anyone can tell me the kind of device it is, that would be super awesome.

1C:C1: DE is a HP. Is your wife's netbook a HP?. I really don't think you need to use MAC filtering but that's just me.

http://aruljohn.com/mac.pl

lilmike1464

Oct 12, 2013
    Baltimore City, MD
    1C:C1: DE is a HP. Is your wife's netbook a HP?. I really don't think you need to use MAC filtering but that's just me.

http://aruljohn.com/mac.pl

I second this. It just creates a lot of work for connecting future devices. Plus, if you don't have WPA on, someone can just spoof your MAC address and connect to your router.

From the device that can't get an IP address, enter all the ip info from another device (netmask, gateway, DNS) except the actual IP address. Just check the router for addresses that are used and use the next one available.

Then run cmd and try to ping the gateway address (192.168.1.1 most of the time). Post the results

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Mac filtering and disabling SSID Broadcasting are way old school and unnecessary. Anyone can find your network when it is in use and detect your mac address(es). Spoofing Mac addys is available in ALL modern operating systems. The key is a strong WPA2 PSK. I think there was an article where once you get over 12(or 20) characters (not sure, but I'll try to confirm), it is a strong password.

***EDIT*** Also need to change password of the wireless router/AP admin account.

dweaver

Jun 8, 2013
    Washington Co. MD
    I know it sounds ridiculous but the modem is hooked up to the WAN port not one of the LAN ports right? It seems silly but I've seen it many Times, the switch will pass the Ip to one device on the network(hence your one pc that is working). Otherwise, if it's connected properly, I'd have to suggest a factory reset as well; that's usually the quickest way out...

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Sounds like you just need to completely reconfigure your router. Start from factory defaults and get it working.

If you're uncomfortable doing it, I am a small business owner. :D

lilmike1464

Oct 12, 2013
    Baltimore City, MD
    I am the network installation manager for an WISP in Baltimore City. I design, configure, and install almost everything that goes on our network. I also troubleshoot everything, too. If you can't get the pc working (but everything else is), just PM me and I will send you my number and help you for no cost. I'm working on a project for the MPA right now, so I don't have much free time, but I will make some time if you really need help. From one shooter to another lol

Sirex