• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Needed a couple of folding back up sites for AR's. Keeping within a tight budget, I was very happy to find Magpul folding rear sites on Amazon for $34. Some commenters said that they were knock off Chineses copies but others said they were genuine. Figured if they were junk, I would just send them back. Happy to report that they are indeed real MagPuls. By far the best price I have found so far. Amazon has been a good resource for parts for the builds, love the two day Prime delivery at no extra charge.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    If you are curious, Magpul has 33 trademarks and 185(55 since 2001) patents on file with the US Patent and Trademark Office. You can look at the images of the different items within each Patent or trademark and find what you bought and compare the fine details. Much of the Magpul stuff on Amazon/Ali Baba/ E-Bay are knock-offs. Here are the links:
    Trademark:

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showf...h&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query

Patent(56 since 2001):

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...=Magpul&FIELD1=&co1=AND&TERM2=&FIELD2=&d=PG01

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Much of the Magpul stuff on Amazon/Ali Baba/ E-Bay are knock-offs. Here are the links:

Cannot be emphasized enough. Never minding third-party sellers, much of what Amazon stocks and sells directly is sourced by low-ball bidders. Amazon depends on the honesty of those bidders. Many are not honest and source Amazon with counterfeit or otherwise inferior (i.e. airsoft) goods. It's a more rampant problem with third-party sellers on Amazon.

Winebike

May 11, 2009
    I purchased some expensive Magpul ladder rail panels a year or so ago from a third party seller on Amazon. The fit was terrible. I contacted Magpul because I suspected they were counterfeit. I sent them to Magpul and they replaced them with ones that worked well. I don't know for sure if they were counterfeit or a result of defective manufacturing. Any name brand product that can be cheaply copied is a good candidate for counterfeiting by a third party. I doubt Amazon verifies the authenticity of everything their third party companies sell.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    There plenty of Magpul fakes on Amazon. I bought an MBUS Pro front sight once and then canceled the order pretty quick with a full refund. The seller sent the item anyway (asking for a good review) and told me to keep it. It was a really bad, pot metal fake.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I doubt Amazon verifies the authenticity of everything their third party companies sell.

Amazon does not verify the authenticity of what Amazon itself stocks and sells. Product shows up at Amazon warehouses and goes straight into inventory. Amazon depends on the honesty of suppliers and assumes buyers will notify Amazon of fakes.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Buyer beware. I have purchased low priced MP sights from either amazon or eBay and they were bogus. I returned them no problem. If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't. Lots of knockoff MP gear out there.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm surprised it's cost effective to make knockoffs of low-volume, niche products like sights. There's a skilled labor and materials cost for making mold tooling that needs to be recovered through sales. I guess there must be enough money to be made, though, if it's being done.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I'm surprised it's cost effective to make knockoffs of low-volume, niche products like sights. There's a skilled labor and materials cost for making mold tooling that needs to be recovered through sales. I guess there must be enough money to be made, though, if it's being done.

Airsofters around the world will buy them, along with the rest of the knockoff stuff.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    That knock-off MP BUIS costs a Chinese manufacture about $1-$1.30 to produce. If your paying $46, that is huge profit down the line from manufacture to wholesaler to distributor to vendor. Regardless of volume, there is money to be made.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    I have never seen Magpul on display in any Dick's. Which one did you see it at?

Not sure what you mean by "Dick's", DSG is Defense Solutions Group.

ETA: I just checked; looks like the price soared up to a whopping $65 for the set. Still a far better deal than just a rear for $58...

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout

Attachments

• mbus.jpg
      mbus.jpg
      62.7 KB · Views: 220

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads