• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My now un-pistoned 20'' AR on the 100 yd. range. A different feel I'll have to get used to.

Below, my 10.5'' pistol @100 yds. with an Eotech sight through a no-name barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_20150811_181712_399.jpg
      IMG_20150811_181712_399.jpg
      114 KB · Views: 485
    • IMG_20150811_182004_039.jpg
      IMG_20150811_182004_039.jpg
      117.1 KB · Views: 478

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I don't know if any of you shared my experience yesterday of showing up at AGC only to find that the range was closed to all but .22 caliber weapons, but it sure would be nice if AGC notified the clubs of such closures/restrictions so that the clubs can notify their members. The range officer was beside himself, and told me that he found out only Saturday night. He then joked, "great communication, right?" I just shook my head. He said that the AGC president was sitting inside and that I should say something to him. Because I drove 35 minutes and brought a friend along who I've sponsored for my club, I did just that. I very nicely said something like, "It would really be great if the range could notify the clubs by e-mail of these restricted days." I think I paused 2 seconds before an old fart sitting next to the president jumped in my face with, "what do you want us to do??" I responded that I already said what I wanted them to do - just send an e-mail to the clubs so that we know. He responded "we can't do that!" I asked why not - they have no problem sending us e-mails when it comes time to renew range badges. He then said that the restriction is posted on a sign on the door. I told him that I hadn't been to the range in almost a month. His next response was, "well, you should've gone on the website before you came here." Obviously, the guy had no interest in working with me here - my fault, not his, end of story. Mind you, the president said nothing the whole time and the guy that was doing the talking wasn't even an officer - just a friend. I just looked at them and said, "I'm glad our $150 per year gets us something. Great customer service and nice speaking with you" and then walked out.

I've sent an e-mail to my club. I don't think it's too much to ask that the range send out an e-mail or a schedule when they are going to close down the range on a weekend. From what I can tell, these guys aren't really doing anything important other than sitting in the range house talking about days of yore.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I very nicely said something like, "It would really be great if the range could notify the clubs by e-mail of these restricted days." I think I paused 2 seconds before an old fart sitting next to the president jumped in my face with, "what do you want us to do??"

I hope that, as I get further into my old fart years, I don't find it necessary to make myself feel important by being an a##hole.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I hope that, as I get further into my old fart years, I don't find it necessary to make myself feel important by being an a##hole.

I really don't understand the "you should not expect us to notify our customers of important things" attitude. If you know me, which you do a little, you would have been proud of the restraint that I exercised by simply thanking them for good customer service and walking away. Generally, I don't deal well with a$$holes.

After that, while I was waiting for a cease fire (I placed my targets before I figured all of this out . . . .), I was talking to one of the regulars - he's there in the same spot every weekend. He told me that the whole place is a cracked out, and that the guy who yelled at me is "crazy and should be institutionalized." Glad he's on a gun range. . .

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    It was posted on the AGC Home page last weekend. It was highlighted in blue just below the Lead Reclamation warning.
    I personally notified 4 vehicles about rim fire only so they wouldn't unload their gear needlessly.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    It was posted on the AGC Home page last weekend. It was highlighted in blue just below the Lead Reclamation warning.
    I personally notified 4 vehicles about rim fire only so they wouldn't unload their gear needlessly.

Maybe I should - I guess I will - change the way I operate, but it never occurred to me to check the webpage. The range page has always said, "we are open every day of the year except Christmas and New Years". I've been going there for 4 years and I don't recall ever running into something like this. I see that the page says, "Smallbore caliber only during Junior's Match, 8/30/15". That isn't very clear.

In any event, I still think that the AGC could send an e-mail alert out to the clubs. It's not that hard. I also don't understand why the range needed to be restricted just because the juniors were shooting 22 cal. The RSO was laughing - there were supposed to be something like 80 participants and only 39 showed up.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    It only happens a few times a year and I agree an e-mail would be nice.
    I drove all the way down to PG one time only to find it closed so congress critters could shoot without being subjected to the unwashed public.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Maybe I should - I guess I will - change the way I operate, but it never occurred to me to check the webpage. The range page has always said, "we are open every day of the year except Christmas and New Years". I've been going there for 4 years and I don't recall ever running into something like this. I see that the page says, "Smallbore caliber only during Junior's Match, 8/30/15". That isn't very clear.

In any event, I still think that the AGC could send an e-mail alert out to the clubs. It's not that hard. I also don't understand why the range needed to be restricted just because the juniors were shooting 22 cal. The RSO was laughing - there were supposed to be something like 80 participants and only 39 showed up.

I agree. Arlington R/P should have Highlighted that the day was restricted to 22. The 200 yard range is always highlighted in red with selected functions.

Last year I was sent home without a 22.:mad54: Now I never leave home without checking the Events Calendar.

As to the level of 39 participants. At least the bench rest should have been open.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    C&R Range Pics thread

Took the new to me MAS 36 (G script) to the range today for my first shots.
    I was impressed. Rear aperture sight is rather big, about as big as an Enfield MK4no1 battle sight. So, its not a precision machine, but groups were decent from bags @ 50 yards considering the size of the rear aperature and what I was expecting.
    Shot it offhand as well and was also happy I got everything on paper.

Also had SKS. Pulled it out of the bag and it was set to 400 yards, Hmm, so I set it to lowest setting and shot it (did not have my field scope so Had no idea where it was planting until after I put 30 rounds down there. I must have messed with front sight, and that explained why the rear sight was set so far up. (I was aiming at top target).
    I was shooting pretty fast and reloading with stripper clips so was not going for precision, just fun.

Abulg,
    I agree that when something shuts down the entire range or puts that big of a restriction, a courtesy email should go out.
    AGC has plenty of people's emails, they send a newsletter.
    I generally follow the "check the calender" suggestions for weekends because if there is a big enough event, parking is a beeyatch" and I'll try to arrange to go later in the day instead when most events are done.
    Like the Appleseed coming up (sept 12-13th) I won't plan on going to the barnes range those days.

Attachments

• IMG_2067.JPG
      IMG_2067.JPG
      56.9 KB · Views: 362
    • IMG_2073.JPG
      IMG_2073.JPG
      40.5 KB · Views: 358
    • IMG_1091.jpg
      IMG_1091.jpg
      93.4 KB · Views: 358
    • IMG_2075.JPG
      IMG_2075.JPG
      47.9 KB · Views: 360
    • IMG_2077.JPG
      IMG_2077.JPG
      43.3 KB · Views: 362
    • FullSizeRender.jpg
      FullSizeRender.jpg
      69.9 KB · Views: 358
    • IMG_2076.JPG
      IMG_2076.JPG
      50 KB · Views: 365

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

You have a valid point, nothing was noted on the calendar that the range would be restricted to .22 only.

The entire range will be closed for National Hunting & Fishing Day on 9/26.
    Personally, I don't see why they can not set up the displays at the state park on the hill just down the road and keep the range open for members as well as allowing a supervised area for those public individuals, who are interested, to try the sport. It could be done much like the hunter sight in is ran.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

It even happens at IWLAs too. I hate when I drive up there to find out there's a scheduled range closure. I try to check every time I go but, sometimes I'm too excited and forget to go on line and check. My fault.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    I really don't understand the "you should not expect us to notify our customers of important things" attitude. If you know me, which you do a little, you would have been proud of the restraint that I exercised by simply thanking them for good customer service and walking away. Generally, I don't deal well with a$$holes.

Oh ... believe me! I understand completely. It's just that going all Daffy Duck on some power-tripping moron isn't good for you in the long run. I'm *most* impressed with your restraint.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    First attempt at lead cast loads in my Yugo SKS (Wideners unissued 2012), pretty happy!! 50 yards supported

These shot better than Wolf, Tula, or PPU commercial

This picture was actually 3 separate groups of some leftover test rounds I made up for my Chinese SKS.

There's actually:

5 rounds @ 19gr 4198
    5 rounds @ 20gr 4198
    3 rounds @ 21gr 4198

I didn't check the target between the different loads, so not sure if they grouped tighter by load or not.

Attachments

• Yugo SKS with cast loads.jpg
      Yugo SKS with cast loads.jpg
      114.3 KB · Views: 307

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    M1 Carbine @ 50 yards

115gr powder coated cast
    12.5gr WC820 (surplus powder)

No clue what's up with the flyer, but real nice otherwise!

Attachments

• M1 Carbine cast.jpg
      M1 Carbine cast.jpg
      15.5 KB · Views: 301

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Well, I leave for Texas pig land on Wednesday and I'm only taking my Garand - leaving the scoped rifle at home this year. I did my final trial run today and, although I'm confident that I will kill a pig if the opportunity presents itself, I'm not 100% happy with this bullet/powder combo. I just need to remember to hold a little low. When I get back, I am going to experiment with some other combinations but it's too late for that now. My rounds are the ones in the center. The others are my son messing around with other rifles.

4861fc70e2a7e53e7d834fece5d47968.jpg

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Well, I leave for Texas pig land on Wednesday and I'm only taking my Garand - leaving the scoped rifle at home this year. I did my final trial run today and, although I'm confident that I will kill a pig if the opportunity presents itself, I'm not 100% happy with this bullet/powder combo. I just need to remember to hold a little low. When I get back, I am going to experiment with some other combinations but it's too late for that now. My rounds are the ones in the center. The others are my son messing around with other rifles.

4861fc70e2a7e53e7d834fece5d47968.jpg

Keep me posted. Still got my email so you can send pics directly? I'm jealous as hell that you are making that trip, you know!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Walther P1 and C&R Ruger single six Picture of target is the Single six at 25ft with a center hold.

Attachments

• image-2468754977.jpg
      image-2468754977.jpg
      61.5 KB · Views: 221
    • image-3395527293.jpg
      image-3395527293.jpg
      64.9 KB · Views: 215
    • image-2188588183.jpg
      image-2188588183.jpg
      60.8 KB · Views: 220

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts