• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    In the 80's I had a good collection of Second Generation Black Powder Colts. I sold off a few of them (which was a mistake). :sad20:
    I see in the pic what MIGHT be a Colt Second Gen 1860 Army in Stainless. I had one I sold and wish I had back.
    I would be interested in that, if that is in fact what it is (and any other BP Colts).

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Did the person hoard other items besides guns?

Lionel trains with pieces in unopened boxes, vintage pinball machines (commercial types), I saw an original Space Invaders game, 2 old slot machines from Nevada ($.50 and $0.05). Like a true hoarder there's so much of so much. His kids haven't gotten through much of his house yet, just most of the firearms and some of the bigger gaming machines. They discovered the train stuff the day I was there.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Is the trench gun clone in the bottom of the winchester picture one of the Norinco clones? If so and It is for sale let me know. I've always wanted one of those.

A gun appraiser that was there to document items for estate purposes says it was not a clone. He should me the markings including the ordnance mark. Of all the guns, there was only 5-10 that were junk like rusted H & R's; 3 Norinco SKS's NIB. The rest were all top stuff including the 3 M1 Carbines and unopened drum mags for his Thompson.....

Last edited:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You should sell these at auction. You'll get an excellent return for the family with the least effort in minimum time. You've got more than enough premium firearms for an entire auction. A good auctioneer should be able to attract a large crowd of collectors with big wallets.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    You should sell these at auction. You'll get an excellent return for the family with the least effort in minimum time. You've got more than enough premium firearms for an entire auction. A good auctioneer should be able to attract a large crowd of collectors with big wallets.

Yup AND it's all gone in a day. The hoarder had some serous bucks. :cool:

PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010
    Lionel trains with pieces in unopened boxes, vintage pinball machines (commercial types), I saw an original Space Invaders game, 2 old slot machines from Nevada ($.50 and $0.05). Like a true hoarder there's so much of so much. His kids haven't gotten through much of his house yet, just most of the firearms and some of the bigger gaming machines. They discovered the train stuff the day I was there.

Do you know how/when family pland to sell this stuff?

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Auctioneers take a big cut and while I have seen many guns bring over top dollar I've also seen many go for peanuts. If the family is not in a hurry a reputable dealer should consign that collection at 10% given the size and value. The big auction houses, Julia etc will get a lot of publicity and bids but the family will pay for it. I wouldn't do it w/o a reserve. This weekends show would have been a good place for many of those. If the guns,money don't mean all that much to them it may be a good way to go. Again Doc, sorry for your loss.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Auctioneers take a big cut and while I have seen many guns bring over top dollar I've also seen many go for peanuts. If the family is not in a hurry a reputable dealer should consign that collection at 10% given the size and value. The big auction houses, Julia etc will get a lot of publicity and bids but the family will pay for it. I wouldn't do it w/o a reserve. This weekends show would have been a good place for many of those. If the guns,money don't mean all that much to them it may be a good way to go. Again Doc, sorry for your loss.

Julia and the like are over the top. Local auctioneers can effectively get the job done with less drama and for lower cost. Agreed about reserves. A local dealer is his only other realistic option, with a major downside that selling the collection might take a few years unless the dealer spends a lot of time putting everything on AA or GB. AA is better for a premium collection.

OP, forget about doing it yourself if the thought crosses your mind. You'll be flooded endlessly with lowball offers and it will suck up hundreds of hours of your time. In the end, you'll probably net the same or less than letting a professional handle it all.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    While I appreciate all the condolences, the deceased was neither friend nor relative, and I had never met the gentleman. He was the father of my son's friend who I just offered to help when he told my son he had to ' take care of his father's guns'. I had no idea what I was walking into, but how many of us have ever gotten to walk into something like this?!!

Thanks for all the great advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom