• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    With that being said, I pose this question:

Does anyone think there is a possibility that the standard "G&S" could possibly be a little less stringent right now? Ive been wondering this.

If by that you mean that they will accept "For self-defense and all lawful purposes" I don't think so.:D

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    From the Herald Mail (Online) 04/03/12 PM

( I posted this because it seemed to be worded differently than what has been stated before IMHO.)

"While the ruling is appealed, Maryland State Police, the agency that processes permit applications, will not make decisions on applications in which approval rests solely on that clause."

http://www.herald-mail.com/news/hm-md-plans-appeal-of-gun-permit-ruling-20120403,0,5893730.story

I don't know if I can put it into words too well. But that is retarded.
    As that clause has been to SOLE reason for approving or denying anyone up until now. All the others clauses are perquisites. (ie, not criminal, check, not mentally insane, check) So to say they will ONLY hold off on those applications, means they are not processing any applications as of now.

Mr H

Banana'd
    From the Herald Mail (Online) 04/03/12 PM

( I posted this because it seemed to be worded differently than what has been stated before IMHO.)

"While the ruling is appealed, Maryland State Police, the agency that processes permit applications, will not make decisions on applications in which approval rests solely on that clause."

http://www.herald-mail.com/news/hm-md-plans-appeal-of-gun-permit-ruling-20120403,0,5893730.story

So... since this is the only thing they use as a basis to approve, this allows ther MSP to just sit and twiddle, until it all shakes out. IOW, no permits for the forseeable future.

Nothing we didn't expect, but interesting...

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Does anyone know if Security Guard apps are being processed? How about any other Apps that would have been approved by last years G&S requirements?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Does anyone know if Security Guard apps are being processed? How about any other Apps that would have been approved by last years G&S requirements?

I just got my renewal on Monday. Same restrictions as the old one. :rolleyes:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I've heard that they are not allowed to give "negative" reviews.

As an employer I will be clear in stating that I can give negative reviews, but I got every duck, horse, and lawyer in the house in line first.

Yeah, you don't want to talk smack about current or ex employees.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    As an employer I will be clear in stating that I can give negative reviews, but I got every duck, horse, and lawyer in the house in line first.

Yeah, you don't want to talk smack about current or ex employees.

So an employer can say what they want, the only thing is if the thing they want to say is negative the employer is opening themselves up for a possible law suit. Correct?

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    I'd Like an Opinion on this, any thoughts would be appreciated. I sent in my App on March 10th. They recieved it on March 13th. But, I havent Heard a Word Yet. Should I call them to ask why there is a Hold Up?? Or just wait? Or should I send an email, or Letter? What do You guys think?

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I'd Like an Opinion on this, any thoughts would be appreciated. I sent in my App on March 10th. They recieved it on March 13th. But, I havent Heard a Word Yet. Should I call them to ask why there is a Hold Up?? Or just wait? Or should I send an email, or Letter? What do You guys think?

Because of current events if I were you I would wait. Maybe the other guys may know, but I think if they process your app today you could get denied making it necessary for you to reapply all over again if we win this thing. Your app is most likely sitting on the bottom of a pile on some troopers desk just waiting a turn.

I think the guys that sent in early and get processed first may be out of luck. If your app sits waiting and waiting maybe by the time they get to it we may have won and things will be going our way.

OR,

The MSP may just be sitting on them where it will not matter if your first of last. The most important thing is you sent in an app to be counted. Thank you.

But like I said I don't really know. What do the other people say?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Because of current events if I were you I would wait. Maybe the other guys may know, but I think if they process your app today you could get denied making it necessary for you to reapply all over again if we win this thing. Your app is most likely sitting on the bottom of a pile on some troopers desk just waiting a turn.

I think the guys that sent in early and get processed first may be out of luck. If your app sits waiting and waiting maybe by the time they get to it we may have won and things will be going our way.

OR,

The MSP may just be sitting on them where it will not matter if your first of last. The most important thing is you sent in an app to be counted. Thank you.

But like I said I don't really know. What do the other people say?

Well, not to tell anyone what to do, but I am in the same boat of not hearing (although they got my app. on the 23d of March). I intend to sit tight. BTW, you may wish to review MD Code, Public Safety, § 5-312. It outlines your administrative rights. Here it is:

Public Safety (Refs & Annos)
    Title 5. Firearms
    Subtitle 3. Handgun Permits (Refs & Annos)
    § 5-312. Action by Board
    Request for review authorized
    (a)(1) A person who is denied a permit or renewal of a permit or whose permit is revoked or limited may request
    the Board to review the decision of the Secretary by filing a written request with the Board within 10 days after
    receipt of written notice of the Secretary's final action.
    (2) A person whose application for a permit or renewal of a permit is not acted on by the Secretary within 90
    days after submitting the application to the Secretary may request a hearing before the Board by filing a written
    request with the Board.
    Form of review
    (b) Within 90 days after receiving a request to review a decision of the Secretary, the Board shall:
    (1) review the record developed by the Secretary; or
    (2) conduct a hearing.
    Evidence
    (c) The Board may receive and consider additional evidence submitted by a party in conducting a review of the
    decision of the Secretary.
    Decision by Board
    (d)(1) Based on the Board's consideration of the record and any additional evidence, the Board shall sustain, reverse,
    or modify the decision of the Secretary.
    (2) If the action by the Board results in the denial of a permit or renewal of a permit or the revocation or limitation
    of a permit, the Board shall submit in writing to the applicant or the holder of the permit the reasons for
    the action taken by the Board.
    Administrative procedures
    (e)(1) Any hearing and any subsequent proceedings of judicial review shall be conducted in accordance with
    Title 10, Subtitle 2 of the State Government Article.
    (2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1) of this subsection, a court may not order the issuance or renewal of a permit
    or alter a limitation on a permit pending a final determination of the proceeding.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    So an employer can say what they want, the only thing is if the thing they want to say is negative the employer is opening themselves up for a possible law suit. Correct?

According to MD laws that I've read, the employer can give out other info. many think that they can only confirm employment. By law, they can say much more, but most companies, at least the larger one's, have policies in place forbidding this. My guess relates to Patrick's post, that it's all for liability.

MH

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    According to MD laws that I've read, the employer can give out other info. many think that they can only confirm employment. By law, they can say much more, but most companies, at least the larger one's, have policies in place forbidding this. My guess relates to Patrick's post, that it's all for liability.

MH

Two words: Defamation suits. The most telling inquiry that a potential employer should ask of a former or existing employer is: Would you hire this person again? Most employers can answer that one and say no more. No more need be said.

Mr H

Banana'd

I'm a 13th receive as well, and have heard nothing.

I think it's pretty clear that there is no set order (and maybe no real decision process) on who will get contacted when. It may even be that there are some apps meeting particular criteria who woll receive no call.

It may well be that they're just randomly pulling out apps at this point, whenever someone has a few minutes, feeling that there is plenty of time to do anything about it.

Early on, it seemed the MSP felt an urgency to handle apps as they came in... but then the floodgates opened, and they were dealing with [potentially] 4-digit numbers in apps received. Add to that the stay, and it's easy for me to see them going into a 4-corners stall.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    My guess, and it's only a guess, is that Pikesville received a ton of apps in. They collect the checks and cash them in, then sort out them out according to area. I'm thinking that they're not going to mail them one-by-one to the local barracks of the applicant, so they wait until they have a number of them. Most of the apps one day may be for Jessup, lets say, but only one for Glen Burnie. Glen Burnie's take a while to stack up so they can be sent, meanwhile, Jessup is processing, calling interviews, etc. Glen Burnie gets their's a week later, then can start. You may have applied early, but your local barrack is Glen Burnie, yours isn't done yet.

I don't think that they are trying to keep an order to which was received first , all the way through the process. Who's to say that they are put in the envelope in order or resorted when they arrive at your local barracks. I'll bet that they pull them out and start with the one on top. JMHO, but it's the best I can come up with.

I'm not a fan of small talk in an interview setting, but if you had a laid-back interviewer who didn't seem to mind, once the official questions are over, maybe we should just ask how the process goes. :shrug:

MH

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    I'm not a fan of small talk in an interview setting, but if you had a laid-back interviewer who didn't seem to mind, once the official questions are over, maybe we should just ask how the process goes. :shrug:

MH

I tried that... For starters my app was received on 3/15 and I had my face to face (first one on hear to have one I think) on 3/27.
    After he was done with his part he ask me If I had any questions as it was my time now. I did ask why my interview was in person when most were getting phone interviews? (A) That he had no Idea. An interview for a CCW permit was suppose to be in person. If he is going to sign off on papers that you are clear then he wants to see you in person. I understand that.
    I ask how the process worked and basically he told me that he received the app from Pikesville and was to do an investigation (could not tell me a lot about that). Thats all he does is the investigation then sends it back to Pikesville. He said that he will never hear if I even get my permit. He said that I was the first he had done for "self defense". He had no clue how they were going to handle our apps with whats going on in the courts. I hear a lot of people saying there interview ended with "we are waiting on the courts on how to process your app". My investigator said he had never heard or was told to say that. he is just doing his job and sending it back to them.

So I think if you want answers you will need to talk to someone with power at Pikesville.:lol2: Even the guys we talk to don't really know whats going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom