• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I know very little about reloading, but have considered getting into the game for some time. So when I saw a large box of reloading equipment at at garage sale, I picked it up for $30, thinking that something may be useful at some point.

Best I can tell, I have three presses... I think at least one (maybe two) are for shotgun shells. I don't know much else. I could use some help understanding what I have. Pictures below... Thanks in advance for looking.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407093675.305997.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407093688.140023.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407093700.521749.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407093713.088456.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407093725.188362.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407093739.421706.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407093751.338692.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407093768.288836.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407093801.488390.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407093818.556907.jpg

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Some of it seems pretty old, but there's plenty there that is usable. That Forster case trimmer by itself is worth more than you paid.

That looks like a Texan shotshell reloader, but I don't know anything about those - I don't know anything about them, or even if they are still made, but if all else fails you could ebay or Craigslist that stuff and make a lot more than what you spent.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    The Texas reloader I know the most amount only because I have the manual. 10 stage progressive. Very heavy. Runs as smooth as butter. Definitely in the best shape of the three presses.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The Lyman 55 powder measure is, IMO, one of the best. Triple micrometer setting.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I'd have bought this box of equipment in a heartbeat! It's worth 30 bucks of anybody's money. At least some of it is certainly usable. The Forster case trimmer alone is worth more than you paid for the lot.

The Lyman Ideal 310 "nut cracker" as they are nicknamed has been made for well over 100 years and is still made, but I'm not sure how early an example you have there. I'd guess the 1960's because I think that's around the time that Lyman started putting their name on the old Ideal product. Lyman bought Ideal years prior to that but Ideal had the recognized name for this hand tool and Lyman kept the Ideal name around. I believe it should have 5 dies with it.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    A most exultant buy! :thumbsup: If you ever want to dive into the reloading game let me know, I'm not far from you (Kensington) I'll show you the ropes.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    Wow! That is a great deal. I have to get back out and do more yard sales. I used to do it almost every weekend, but stopped when I got remarried.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    smoking deal.
    The Texan progressive is a nice press and takes Mec bushings, the other single stage press is also a Texan, The Redding is an obsolete shotshell press as well.
    The Lyman nutcracker and re sizer are work ethic stuff but work fine. The 55 measure is as good as is made.
    It all looks like early 60's to me.
    If you want to sell the shotshell primers and any shot let me know.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    HT4, while it's not worth much I would take the old powder can off your hands. I have a small collection of vintage powder containers.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    I'd have bought this box of equipment in a heartbeat! It's worth 30 bucks of anybody's money. At least some of it is certainly usable. The Forster case trimmer alone is worth more than you paid for the lot.

The Lyman Ideal 310 "nut cracker" as they are nicknamed has been made for well over 100 years and is still made, but I'm not sure how early an example you have there. I'd guess the 1960's because I think that's around the time that Lyman started putting their name on the old Ideal product. Lyman bought Ideal years prior to that but Ideal had the recognized name for this hand tool and Lyman kept the Ideal name around. I believe it should have 5 dies with it.

:thumbsup: Yepper. 8 items pictured are worth more than $30, Plus bullets, primers, and other doodads. Nice score, HT4!

Last edited:

d'Artagnan

Nov 4, 2008
    Ellicott City
    Why do these things never happen to me? Anyway, if you've followed my threads you know I'm interested in lot numbers. You have a collection of hard-to-find primers and Remington component cases. Could you post the lot numbers of them. If I can -- Remington primers of that era don't use the ammunition lot number scheme -- I'll break out their date of manufacture for you.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Some of it seems pretty old, but there's plenty there that is usable. That Forster case trimmer by itself is worth more than you paid.

The trimmer is in perfect shape... I wiped the grime off and oiled it after taking the pics. Runs smoother than I would have imagined.

The Lyman 55 powder measure is, IMO, one of the best. Triple micrometer setting.

This one is in excellent shape. Not new in box, but close to it, and once cleaned, it worked well.

This one appears new... dies for 45ACP included. Looks like one .38 priming die also.

A most exultant buy! :thumbsup: If you ever want to dive into the reloading game let me know, I'm not far from you (Kensington) I'll show you the ropes.

Thanks. I may take you up on this. I definitely need a re-loading mentor. My grandfather is a big reloader, but he scares the heck out of me... he is proud that he over-loads everything he shoots! My fear of royally screwing up and blowing myself up is one of the major things keeping me from starting... but shooting .300BLK is getting way too expensive for my liking.

smoking deal.
    The Texan progressive is a nice press and takes Mec bushings, the other single stage press is also a Texan, The Redding is an obsolete shotshell press as well.

If you want to sell the shotshell primers and any shot let me know.

Damn... all shotgun shell loaders. Not what I was hoping for. Funny that the box had some .222 and .270 dies, but no press for them. I guess the lot got picked over before I got there. Wonder what else I missed.

No shot. I'll get back to you on the primers once I figure out what I have and what is usable... I'm traveling for work now, but will check on this when I get back.

HT4, while it's not worth much I would take the old powder can off your hands. I have a small collection of vintage powder containers.

Perrin, happy to part with these. There are just the two that can been seem in the pics. PM me when you will be in the area next.

Why do these things never happen to me? Anyway, if you've followed my threads you know I'm interested in lot numbers. You have a collection of hard-to-find primers and Remington component cases. Could you post the lot numbers of them. If I can -- Remington primers of that era don't use the ammunition lot number scheme -- I'll break out their date of manufacture for you.

Thanks; I'll check.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    If the single stage Redding will hold the pistol/rifle dies it could work for those too and not just shotgun shells. Do the dies and shell plates fit it?

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Looks like money well spent to me. Like others have said, the trimmer and powder measure alone are worth way more than you paid. Congrats on a good find.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Can't translate the lot numbers, but from the packaging 1950's to eqrly '60s for everything.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Might be able to contact the manufacturers with the lot numbers and get a year of production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom