• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    That's a little surprising trbon8r, we did our background stuff first, had the background interview and the detectives investigated us while we completed the other steps. I had my conditional offer before I'd ever had my health physical.

Yeah I guess the process varies more than I thought from one agency to the next. Once our background was complete the only thing left was a home interview, where the primary background investigator comes to your house to talk to you and your spouse. At that point you pretty much know you are a phone call away from a job offer.

They gave me a conditional offer too after passing the written test and the first oral interview. With my agency the offer letter was pretty much a joke. Basically the letter stated the offer of employment was contingent upon passing a panel interview, poly, medical, background investigation, and home visit. :lol2: That's a lot of hurdles that you still have to clear after receiving an "offer" letter. :)

I'm really surprised to hear that it is common for departments to expend the resources for a background investigation so early on in the hiring process.

MDPOLICE

Apr 1, 2010
    Every department handles their application process differently. And conditional offers mean absolutely nothing.

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    I see a lot of talking here and I'd like to add my 2 cents..........Always wanted to try for the Suffolk County Police in NY back in the 70's. Back then they were one of the highest paid. Scored 90% on written, got my +5pts as Viet Era Vet, was issued a line no. of 250 in line for one of the 50 positions they planned on. 3 years before they got to me, then the test was overturn by the court as being predjeduce to minorities... seems questions like a needle showing a gas gauge at 3/4 and asking what it meant was not fair to the poorer people of Long Island. Some claimed since they didint have a car, they wouldn't know how to read a gas gauge...So I never got there. Moved down to Va and was 30, a kid, etc.took the test, buy lost interest ...Now I'm 56, too old and out of shape (well not really...round is a shape).

So if you guys have a desire..............get off your butt and do it while you can. Always wished I had and wondered if I would have been any good at it.

GO FOR IT:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Spent 40 years with BPD, Long hours, low pay, citizen abuse (Still see it on this Board).

Took hundreds of Felons off the street, been shot at several times, Stabbed once. Saved many lives, and ended two, Delivered two babies, Seized hundreds of thousands of dollars in Drugs and on and on.

I would do it all again in a Heart Beat. Age caught up to me as it does us all. It was truly the greatest years of my life. I gave all that I could give but still wished for more. The job is like Heroin, you become addicted.

I feel for you that you were denied the opportunity. Hey maybe in our next life we can be Side Partners.

I pray for the young men and women who will now proudly wear the Badge, and encourage them, if they have the desire seize the opportunity now, before the years take it away from you.

Stay Safe my friend,
    Eddie O
    Baltimore Police Sergeant, Retired

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Good post Eddie O. :thumbsup:

For those of you sitting on the fence, put in an application. I got a late start at 38 years old. All along I figured I was wasting my time and would eventually get a rejection letter, but one day got the call I was waiting on.

The training will be harder for sure if you are older, but someone has to be the old guy in the class. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom