• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    Hey guys, need a little help. I have built two AR pistols - one is a 10.5" 223 wylde and the other 9" 300 acc. Both are experiencing light primer strikes. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Hey guys, need a little help. I have built two AR pistols - one is a 10.5" 223 wilde and the other 9" 300 acc. Both are experiencing light primer strikes. Anay suggestions?

Need more info. What triggers are you using? Are you sure you installed the hammer springs the correct way and not backwards? Have you tried different firing pins? Did you check your headspace?

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    Need more info. What triggers are you using? Are you sure you installed the hammer springs the correct way and not backwards? Have you tried different firing pins? Did you check your headspace?

The lowers and triggers are Spikes. I have checked the headspace and it is within tolerance. The trigger springs are installed correctly. Could the buffer and spring make a difference? I currently run H2 on both.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Shouldn't be the buffers yet. You shooting factory loads? What are you shooting. Did this just start happening, or has it been this way since you built them? How did you check head space? Go-nogo or field?

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    Shouldn't be the buffers yet. You shooting factory loads? What are you shooting. Did this just start happening, or has it been this way since you built them? How did you check head space? Go-nogo or field?

Factory loads for both. (Remington). Checked headspace via go, no-go. The light strikes are happening from the start. I shot some small primed Federal 223 and it cycled perfectly.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you have a set of calipers, check to see how deeply the primers are seated on the Remington ammo. It wouldn't be the first time a batch of ammo had deeply seated primers.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    If all else fails try the 7 62x39 firing pins from redx. fixed my light strikes in my 7 62x39 pistol

ejholt

Feb 6, 2013
    I second Boss94's recommendation. This is the same advice he gave me and it worked! Although it was for a 7.62x39 pistol upper, it took care of the light strikes.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Have you disassembled the BCG and checked the firing pin for any burrs or other abnormalities. Lube them up good and check their movement with your fingers to be sure they move freely and smoothly. If everything checks good there you may need to try a heavier hammer spring. Again, try using generous lube first.

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    Have you disassembled the BCG and checked the firing pin for any burrs or other abnormalities. Lube them up good and check their movement with your fingers to be sure they move freely and smoothly. If everything checks good there you may need to try a heavier hammer spring. Again, try using generous lube first.

Upton inspection of the pins, I found that they only protrude out of the bolt .020. The longer pins I just ordered should fix the problem. Thanks everyone for your help!

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    thanks I am about to get 2 BCG's and I wont be getting that brand.

The bolts overall are excellent and would recommend them. I have also used their uppers on other projects and can say that they make great stuff for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom