• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    The one caveat to using FedEx is that they don't have a locked cage for storing valuables so dropping of a firearm at FedEx does have some risk. UPS hubs do and they are supposed to lock them up, but they don't always do so.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I was told years ago, possibly pre 9-11, trying to ship ammo, that it was a lease issue with the shopping center and the UPS store. It sounds plausible but it could have been finger pointing or anti gun franchise owners or managers.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It's not a lease issue. UPS policy specifically prohibits shipping firearms from UPS stores.

They are franchises, not owned or operated by UPS.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Yeppers...that's the most safe and usual way! You can verify the C&R's residence address that way. It's only legal to ship to a C&R at the address listed on the 03 FFL. Reduces the chance of some kind'a fraud.

I seem to recall ATF Circular 74-13 address this (look in the Mail Order paragraph). However, its a bit dated,

There was a FAQ, circular, something more recent that indicated secure storage at the alternate shipping address was needed. Can't find that document now, so may be its a figment of my imagination.

Granted, the regulations may have changed.

Also, see this thread: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=20407

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    A licensee, shipping to another licensee, is not required by law to disclose the contents to Fed Ex or anyone else. See the ATF regulation quoted above. Fed Ex policy just requires that you notify the carrier that you're shipping a firearm, which I always do. They shrug their shoulders and say "okay". Show me the Fed Ex rule that says that I can't ship a firearm through a FedEx/Kinkos store.

UPS always makes you provide a detailed description of the firearm in the shipping info. FedEx has never asked me, and they don't require anything in the shipping ID. I voluntarily tell them that I'm shipping a firearm but they have never asked me and they have never asked for a license, a certification, nada.

I used to ship C&R rifles out of the Laurel UPS hub, over 25 times, until one day in 2014 one of their uninformed jerks, a female, refused to ship an IBM M1 Carbine to a collector friend in IN. I was there with the cartoon open for inspection, the buyer's FFL03 in hand and said "that I am shipping to a collector today." That woman said that it had to go to a Dealer, wheeled and walked away from me, and I was unable to convince her otherwise.

Cursed her out in front of 7-8 other UPS employees and waiting customers, grabbed the container and left, but not without choice words about her incompetence and lack of training. Her supervisor called later and I lit her up.

Some time later I reported that incident and a similar one at Woodstock PO to the Baltimore office of ATF. ATF took no action and suggested that I deal direct with UPS and USPS.

I've learned to expect the unexpected when shipping with any of the major common carriers. Their clerks are normally poorly trained and do not understand their own requirements, let alone Federal or State law.

Lately, I've been using USPS and I do not inform the servicing clerk what is in the box. I have the buyer's FFL on my person and I insure for full value and track.

Lew--Ranger63

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I seem to recall ATF Circular 74-13 address this (look in the Mail Order paragraph). However, its a bit dated,

There was a FAQ, circular, something more recent that indicated secure storage at the alternate shipping address was needed. Can't find that document now, so may be its a figment of my imagination.

Granted, the regulations may have changed.

Also, see this thread: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=20407

FYI, what I didn't state, but I know is the case...that while the shipping must list the address of the C&R holder, it CAN be redirected to one of the hubs. One of the issues with receiving these things is the 'Adult Signature Required'. After three tries at delivery, they will hold the item briefly (I seem to remember 3 more business days) at the hub. When I was working my old job, that was sometimes a problem since there usually wasn't any adult home (my teen son didn't count). You can... and I have... just contacted them after the first delivery attempt and redirected the shipment to one of the hubs (not just a local store). They will require an ID with your address (such as a MD DL) but will let you get the firearm from the hub. I have received most of my C&Rs by redirecting to a hub that would hold them. (For non-firearm items I usually redirect to a local FedEx or UPS store - that's how I managed to have an ammo problem at Annapolis Kinkos).

Edit: Just re-read WhistlersMother post with the old link about redirecting to a hub (didn't open the link initially). Most of those posts are basically my own experience.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    FYI, what I didn't state, but I know is the case...that while the shipping must list the address of the C&R holder, it CAN be redirected to one of the hubs. One of the issues with receiving these things is the 'Adult Signature Required'. After three tries at delivery, they will hold the item briefly (I seem to remember 3 more business days) at the hub. When I was working my old job, that was sometimes a problem since there usually wasn't any adult home (my teen son didn't count). You can... and I have... just contacted them after the first delivery attempt and redirected the shipment to one of the hubs (not just a local store). They will require an ID with your address (such as a MD DL) but will let you get the firearm from the hub. I have received most of my C&Rs by redirecting to a hub that would hold them. (For non-firearm items I usually redirect to a local FedEx or UPS store - that's how I managed to have an ammo problem at Annapolis Kinkos).

Edit: Just re-read WhistlersMother post with the old link about redirecting to a hub (didn't open the link initially). Most of those posts are basically my own experience.

Yes, I understand about redirecting to a hub.

I thought you were speaking about specifying a different shipping address to the seller for initial shipping.

Still can't find the FAQ/Circular - I believe, and may be mistaken, that you can have a C&R shipped to a different address than what appears on the FFL03 license.

(It bugs me I can't find this FAQ/Circular now [something newer than Circular 74-13] - may be I read it in the recesses of my mind...) :sad20:

Edit: HA! Found It: https://www.atf.gov/file/4256/download (page 6)

Does this pertain to FFL03?

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    FYI-since it's a rifle you can ship via USPS as well. Have done it many times. Only dealers can ship a hand gun via USPS. Usually I take any guns I ship to the UPS depot in Hunt Valley/Sparks. Their insurance is far cheaper than the USPS. If a Kinkos store employee gives you a hard time tell them to pull out their rules binder and look it up. I'd ship before last pick up so it's not there overnite.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    S
    Lately, I've been using USPS and I do not inform the servicing clerk what is in the box. I have the buyer's FFL on my person and I insure for full value and track.

Lew--Ranger63

Postal Regs require if you are asked you must advise if a firearm is in a shipment

432.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Except under 431.2, unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing. The following conditions also apply:

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    your decision.

My plan is to just answer any questions honestly.

YMMV.

I always comply with the law and shipper rules, but I never give anything more than is absolutely required - not because I'm trying to hide anything, but just because doing so creates risk of theft, "loss in transit", etc. As a licensee, federal law does not require me to disclose anything to the shipper, so, unless the shipper rule/policy requires disclosure, I don't disclose. I never use USPS because I can send things cheaper through FedEx and shipping FedEx is just a lot easier and lot less of a hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom