• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    One person shtf gun, go AR.
    But I think the op wants several for other family members.
    SKS is the way to go. They may not be as accurate, but for a novice just picking up a rifle with minimal skills, the shooter would be responsible for more of a margin of error than the rifle.

I've been looking at these two websites the past couple of nights ... but resisting :ohnoes: ...

http://www.southernohiogun.com/gallery/sks-rifles-7-62x39-cal.html
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/yugo-sks-semi-auto-excellent

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    If he is planning on buying a few to outfit his family, a little diversification is probably a good idea. While for ammo and spare parts sake, everyone armed with the same battle rifle is good, if you plan on turning your family into an infantry squad.... but I think if you are truly planning for a SHTF scenario (and there are MANY scenarios), then diversity is good. As we all know, guns have different purposes. If I were on a budget and trying to outfit a family of 4 (assuming they were all capable and trained in handling weapons), I might go something like this.

One budget battle-type rifle (AR HBAR, SKS, Mini-14/30, etc.)
    One scoped high-power rifle
    One 12 ga pump shotgun
    One 10/22 or similar

I would at least have 2 hand guns (you mention he has a .38 revolver... I would try to add a higher capacity 9mm or 45 to the mix)

This kind of combination would allow for close quarter defense, mid-range engagement, sniping, hunting large game, hunting small game, home defense, and concealed protection. Most of the bases would be covered in a world with lots of variables. A smart shopper could easily outfit a family for under $1500... or you could spend it all and then some on a higher end AK. I would go with the former.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    If he is planning on buying a few to outfit his family, a little diversification is probably a good idea. While for ammo and spare parts sake, everyone armed with the same battle rifle is good, if you plan on turning your family into an infantry squad.... but I think if you are truly planning for a SHTF scenario (and there are MANY scenarios), then diversity is good. As we all know, guns have different purposes. If I were on a budget and trying to outfit a family of 4 (assuming they were all capable and trained in handling weapons), I might go something like this.

One budget battle-type rifle (AR HBAR, SKS, Mini-14/30, etc.)
    One scoped high-power rifle
    One 12 ga pump shotgun
    One 10/22 or similar

I would at least have 2 hand guns (you mention he has a .38 revolver... I would try to add a higher capacity 9mm or 45 to the mix)

This kind of combination would allow for close quarter defense, mid-range engagement, sniping, hunting large game, hunting small game, home defense, and concealed protection. Most of the bases would be covered in a world with lots of variables. A smart shopper could easily outfit a family for under $1500... or you could spend it all and then some on a higher end AK. I would go with the former.

^^Great post and advice!^^

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Good advice all. He is lurking and reading this thread. I don't think he made a decision quite yet.

hawkeye86

May 15, 2013
    Baltimore County
    He intends to pick up a couple shotguns in addition, but wants a couple rifles too.

Sent from my note 4 using Tapatalk.

Tell him to save up for one good rifle and a decent but not terribly expensive shotgun. The recent deal on wingmasters for around $200 would work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    Ok I read threw a lot of responses and I disagree with alot of them. Let's all set a budget for this guy for one. $500 or less. The man said he's on a budget and people start suggesting $800 Colt Ar's and $700 mini-14's. Really?! I mean really bruh??

1) I actually tried to buy a affordable vz58/2008 from palmettostatearmory.com for $399 and failed miserably. Palmetto won't send them to MD and even if they did they wouldn't send the mags with them. And lets keep it real mags and parts are hard to find. And lets say you do find mags and parts online, by the time it arrives "S" probably will already "HTF" by that time it's too late. Any gun store out there that has vz58/2008's are getting them from Palmetto and now are selling them for close to $600. Soooo moving right along!
    2) Mini-14 are $700 and up, Magazines aren't as easy to find, and some mini-14's are finicky about Wolf and Tulammo sooo that's out. Moving right along
    3) Colts are $800+ lets keep it real. Your only paying for the name. Smith and Wesson AR's are just as good and they're around $600! But we want $500 or less. moving right along!
    4) Engage Armament is a good look. Grab a lower from them for $120. Wait till Black Friday and buy a complete upper receiver assembly for dirt cheap on PalmettoStatearmory.com or RadicalFirearms.com Hopefully it comes with the bolt carrier group and charging handle (throw in some free shipping) and you're in the game! Going that route you have a very good AR for $500 or less!
    6) Mossberg Maverick 88 pump shotgun... I have one and spent less than $300. It goes booooom every time and I never had a problem. In the game! nuff said
    7) Sks. Russian, Yugo, or Chinese. best to good in that order. Grab some tapco mags and learn how to install them (very easy). Learn how to deep clean the gun and you're IN THE GAME! Keep the mags tucked away for when the zombies come moaning at your door then... Boom...
    8) Someone mentioned HI Point carbines. I own one. Spent around $300 NEVER had a problem with it. Yes it's ugly as hell and yeah the round capacity isn't the greatest. But over all the price is right and it goes bang every time. In the game!
    9) Bolt action rifles! Reach out and touch someone with something big and heavy! You can find a respectable rifle for under $500 with a nice Weaver scope also under $300. You don't need super expensive glass you're not looking to become a top elite Navy seal sniper. Just enough to defend yourself and take out some deer. And remember it goes Booooom every time! In... The... Game!
    10) Ruger 10/22. I personally wouldn't consider 22lr a good defense round but it beats having nothing. Only problem is the ammo is hard to find. But besides that the ammo is really inexpensive, rifle itself is under $500, and the gun goes pew-pew every time! Now if you can find the plug on where to get ammo and stock it deep.... You're in the game!

If you keep your guns clean and oiled they should go boom, pew, bang every time. Only time they won't perform is if they are absolutely made of crappy material, poorly designed, un-clean, over used and just shot the hell out. Going with a reputable name is good, but sometimes all your actually paying for is the name (Colt). You just need it to be accurate and go boom every time!

Good Post. I vote for the hipoint carbine.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Get the vz-2008 and get it melonite treated. The gremlin is overblown. All the rifles built anywhere close to recently have stronger leaf springs that control the sear which alleviates this issue. If you are really worried about it you can get a tabbed bolt carrier for 35 bucks. I have not found it necessary as it has been impossible to produce on my rifle or any of the ones I've gotten my hands on, even pulling the trigger as fast as I possibly can in an attempt to disengage the sear mid cycle and cause the problem.

The only thing I was not fond of was the non chromed barrel, but since I like melonite better anyways, this actually suits me way better. I had a leatherman, every steel part on the vz=2008 including folding stock, a couple sks bolts, a ruger sr-40 barrel a yugo tokarev and the bolt assembly of a mosin melonited at H&M for 215 bucks including shipping.

Or you could get an HBAR AR=15.

neither is a bad choice, but with that stock folded on the Vz... geez, it's just something else. So tiny, so handy, so shootable. That rifle is the first to outclass my old mini-14 GB in terms of pure handiness and pleasure to shoot.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Get the vz-2008 and get it melonite treated. The gremlin is overblown. All the rifles built anywhere close to recently have stronger leaf springs that control the sear which alleviates this issue. If you are really worried about it you can get a tabbed bolt carrier for 35 bucks. I have not found it necessary as it has been impossible to produce on my rifle or any of the ones I've gotten my hands on, even pulling the trigger as fast as I possibly can in an attempt to disengage the sear mid cycle and cause the problem.

The only thing I was not fond of was the non chromed barrel, but since I like melonite better anyways, this actually suits me way better. I had a leatherman, every steel part on the vz=2008 including folding stock, a couple sks bolts, a ruger sr-40 barrel a yugo tokarev and the bolt assembly of a mosin melonited at H&M for 215 bucks including shipping.

Or you could get an HBAR AR=15.

neither is a bad choice, but with that stock folded on the Vz... geez, it's just something else. So tiny, so handy, so shootable. That rifle is the first to outclass my old mini-14 GB in terms of pure handiness and pleasure to shoot.
    Good info. Thanks.

Sent from my note 4 using Tapatalk.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    So you mean to say there are no rifles that are legal in MD that would be satisfactory in a SHTF situation?

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    Oh, fer chrissakes . . .

. . . I have a love/hate relationship with these threads.

I've been studiously avoiding the 7.62x39 caliber in all of its formats for a long time. I like 5.56 for single-family home defense, 300 BLK for suppression, and .308 and 30-06 for long-range capability. (Also a 12GA for general purpose.) But now I'm daydreaming of a whole suite of SKS, VZ, 92 PAP SB, and a Lil B!tch...

Just what I need - another caliber to stack deep(ish - that's always relative around here). And this year I'm trying to direct funds to NFA. But still.

MDshooters

Mar 26, 2012
    Salisbury MD
    So you mean to say there are no rifles that are legal in MD that would be satisfactory in a SHTF situation?
    Colt 6721 or other COLT HBAR. I fail to understand why everyone keeps purchasing non-Colt HBARs expecting it to be OK when the law specifically states, as silly as it is, that COLT HBAR is the only Ar15 rifle except from the ban SB281 and the subsequent decisions after imposed on us.

Purchase the 6721 and have done with it. Don't "Build Your Own" and go to prison, don't buy lowers from your friends, and don't buy another brand of HBAR expecting the Maryland state attorney to uphold MSP's decision to interpret COLT HBAR to mean ANY HBAR. MSP has no authority to do that.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MDshooters

Mar 26, 2012
    Salisbury MD
    Dude, inform yourself a bit more before scolding others.
    Just sayin'.
    Appreciate the sentiment, I really do but I was not scolding. I was wondering out loud why people won't just purchase COLTS, if they want an AR15 or something else if they don't want an AR15. I mention this because the second someone in these threads mentions purchasing a LEGAL COLT, everyone and their brother jumps on the op with suggestions that they break the law. I mean really? People OK with members of this forum intentionally instructing others to break Maryland State law but not with me "scolding"? Lol

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom