• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    For $500 the VZ or a used Mini-14 are his best bets.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    You can't beat a plain jane SKS for building up an armory on a budget. My best budget shooter is a '70's Norinco that I bought with a few pieces missing and finished out.

The plainest most regular SKS fits the bill.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    He intends to pick up a couple shotguns in addition, but wants a couple rifles too.

Sent from my note 4 using Tapatalk.

A couple of shotguns and a couple of rifle...all at once? Is he focused on quantity, or does he have an interest in quality? Unless there is a pressing need to fill his safe, I would (and did) pick up one quality piece at a time. Over 35 years, I've never regretted a single purchase, I mean investment, that I've made.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    A couple of shotguns and a couple of rifle...all at once? Is he focused on quantity, or does he have an interest in quality? Unless there is a pressing need to fill his safe, I would (and did) pick up one quality piece at a time. Over 35 years, I've never regretted a single purchase, I mean investment, that I've made.
    I think he just decided he was behind the curve and is playing catch up. Wants one for each member of the family.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    A SHTF rifle should be reliable, but all machines break. Go with an AR platform for readily available parts. Even when SHTF.

Tito

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Baltimore County
    VZ2008, SKS, Sub2K, and 12 gauge (Mossberg or 870) are very good options. If he has a sidearm, I would recommend all of them.

If he doesn't have any firearms, I would recommend the shotgun, and use the remaining balance to purchase shells.

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    He currently has one revolver - a Taurus .38.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I still stand by my Mini 14 recommendation, but several folks have mentioned .22lr rifles and I think thats also an excellent idea.
    a basic Ruger 10/22 with polymer stock is always at the top of my list for SHTF.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I think he just decided he was behind the curve and is playing catch up. Wants one for each member of the family.

Well, we have split government in Annapolis, and a split federal government plus presidential election in 2016, so not much is likely to happen regarding firearms rights. May it would be better to get one quality rifle now, and maybe an "interesting" shotgun (read magazine fed) now, and pick up another one of each early to mid 2016. Then he won't be saddled with four pieces of crap when trying to trade up later.

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    Not really, but had expressed interest in a couple of classes.

Tito

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I still stand by my Mini 14 recommendation, but several folks have mentioned .22lr rifles and I think thats also an excellent idea.
    a basic Ruger 10/22 with polymer stock is always at the top of my list for SHTF.

I totally forgot about the 10/22 and it is a good option. :thumbsup:

Assuming he can stack up on ammo.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    What about the supposed "gremlin" with the trigger reset or whatever it is?

I have two of them. Both look like this one . Haven't had a problem, but I'm not sure how many "generations" there are of the 2008

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      89.9 KB · Views: 307

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Problem with building is that he would have to build a pistol at this point (unless an 80%). I don't think that is what he wants.

Why would he have to build a pistol? Did I miss something, you are speaking about building an AR correct? They are legal to be built into rifles.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom