• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    My friend / neighbor is a bit late to the game, but is now looking for a couple of Maryland legal SHTF rifles. He was looking at the VZ2008, but another buddy told me those have known issues with the seer. What would y'all say is the best band for the buck rifle he should consider? AK or ??

Sent from my note 4 using Tapatalk.

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    What is the cheapest Maryland legal HBAR that is worth buying?

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    Go to Engage Armament, ask that question, walk out with a MD made AR the same day.
    Engage has great stuff, but most of what I saw there is on the pricier side. My buddy is definitely buying to a price point.

rickinboots

TEAM GET' UM
    Jun 12, 2011
    Pasadena
    Why not go with a kel tec sub 2000 if you can find one. Folds in half and fits in a laptop case or backpack. If he has a glock. You can interchange mags.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Go to Engage Armament, ask that question, walk out with a MD made AR the same day.

Another nice thing about the basic Engage builds (which are pretty price competitive too - $700-800 I believe), is that they are not heavy weight despite being HBARs. I recollect something in the 6-7 lb range. If I didn't have an AR and so many pre FSA 2013 lowers, an Engage AR is probably the first one that I would get.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    My friend / neighbor is a bit late to the game, but is now looking for a couple of Maryland legal SHTF rifles. He was looking at the VZ2008, but another buddy told me those have known issues with the seer. What would y'all say is the best band for the buck rifle he should consider? AK or ??

What is the cheapest Maryland legal HBAR that is worth buying?

Engage has great stuff, but most of what I saw there is on the pricier side. My buddy is definitely buying to a price point.

2 words for him. Build one.

If he has a budget or price point, he will get more gun for that money if he sources all the parts and builds it himself.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Will he actually go get some training and practice? If he won't, I'd say get him a 12ga so he doesn't waste much money and there's A CHANCE he'll remember how to load and fire it when he needs it.

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    6721 sounds promising, anyone know the go to IP and price?

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    Thank you. 700 is closer to the $500 he was looking to spend.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    A decent and affordable alternative to an AR for this purpose might be a mini 14 or mini 30.
    If I had like five ARs, a Mini-14 might be worth it for variety. I would never recommend a Mini to someone with zero ARs.

The advice to buy a Colt 6721 (used or new) is pretty much perfect.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    At the low end of the cost/performance spectrum, an SKS still packs a lot of punch and is still relatively cheap.

Low cost, good performance, built like a tank, designed for a 3rd grader to disassemble and maintain, eats everything, lots of accessories incl. large cap mags and secondary uses (spear, club) when the ammo runs out. Near perfect SHTF rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom