Sentry plate carrier from AR500.com, any good?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Probably the best affordable stuff available. I am sure they still have a very long turn around, because they are so busy. Website says 10 weeks lead time.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I'm pretty sure the PC is Condor brand. Cheap.

I got a good deal from Highcom on some ceramic plates when they had a sale a month or so ago. $250 for two multi curve Level 4 plates. A lot lighter than AR500 steel. I would suggest you save a bit more and get a quality PC, and keep an eye out for some deals on ceramic plates.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Depends on what you want it for. Want something to just have and throw on for possible issues around the house, keep in the car, etc...? Or are you looking to weekend commando warrior in classes year round to hone your operator-ness? :)

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have ceramics, AR500, and ballistic 3A panels in my collection. Yes AR500 is heavy, but it has its uses. And yes I prefer to put the ceramic Level 3 plates in my plate carrier (US Palm). What I often do is use the level 3A ballistic panels as trauma panels behind the Level 3 ceramic plates. Adds very little weight and some more protection. Still nothing is perfect. Its not like you become bullet proof or anything. A well placed shot in an unprotected area will still take you out.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Depends on what you want it for. Want something to just have and throw on for possible issues around the house, keep in the car, etc...? Or are you looking to weekend commando warrior in classes year round to hone your operator-ness? :)

I mostly want it to wear around the house, clearing rooms, operating, etc.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Last class I did with CMCT, they had us doing a bunch of PT. I am moderately fit for my age. I won't be beating any 20 year olds, but I can hold my own. I was wearing a chest rig with a holstered pistol on it, 6 AR mags, 2 pistol mags, hydration bladder, etc. Let me just say that PT sucked wayyyy more butt with the extra weight on my chest (push ups, etc). If I had steel plates on in addition, I might well have been one of the sorry old coots that was puking half way through. Operator would not have been operating operationally.

Jeepman

Army, Infantry, 'Murica
    Oct 30, 2007
    Back when we had the money to do so, I bought AR plates and carriers for all 3 adults in my immediate family, as well soft (pistol armor) armor for all 4 of us - 3 adults, one 120 # pre-teen girl. The girl would never be able to bear the weight of the steel plates, even sitting. She has a kevlar helmet for added protection and we all have ballistic eye pro as well. My reasoning is thus, none of us is ever going to "Operate" as freedom fighters, Wolverines, SF, Delta or even third world, ahem, Infantry.
    ($7,000.00 worth of Titanium screws and pins in my lower back will ensure that.) Rather than all that, I made the purchase in the event everything went to hell and we absolutely had to travel - bugout by vehicle- to safer parts, wherever that would be.

I would much rather have it, and never need it, than the other way around, and really have no desire to wear them for any length of time. I have had to wear soft armor as part of my post 9/11 deployment in State. It is a straight up MF'r in the Maryland summer heat. Thankfully I've not had to wear plate armor for any time worth mentioning at all.

I have +20 years in both the Active Army and Maryland National Guard Infantry, got out in 2005, so yeah, I know a little bit about this :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom