Best CCW Sub Compact Auto or Mini Revolver for Chubby Hands?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Hey All,

So I just completed the Utah CCW class - shout out to the Worthy's at Worth-A-Shot! So now I want to shop around for a new CCW friendly pistol, while facing some challenges.

The smallest gun I have right now is a Glock 19, and although I have an IWB holster for it, I've learned that with my ahem husky frame, and lacko butt, that combo just ain't gonna work, even at 3 o'clock. My pants sag enough without a holster weighing it down even more. I've got a gut, so appendix carry is out too. The final kicker, I've also got chubby drummer hands, as seen below.

So, given the above, I figure I'll give side carry in either a belly band, or one of those CC T-Shirts a try. Which leaves me to gun selection. My initial thought is maybe a Glock 26, or Ruger LCR, but curious I if someone here on the forum has already faced these challenges and can maybe help narrow the search down, and I'll start renting sub compacts and mini revolvers from a short list, and see what out of that lot I shoot best.

Here's a pic of my chubby paw as compared to my Glock 19 for scale, if it helps.

f1542483a6ac2590cc18d0cc4b6120a2.jpg

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    You might want to look at the KAHR lineup. I have a CW9 that is super thin yet has an amazingly large feeling grip. It's hard to explain but super concealable while being easy to grip/hold even with large hands.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    You might want to look at the KAHR lineup. I have a CW9 that is super thin yet has an amazingly large feeling grip. It's hard to explain but super concealable while being easy to grip/hold even with large hands.

Thanks - interesting. Yeah, based on this pic next to an LCR -

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3klehNjpw_M/UAdIFJVF7CI/AAAAAAAAACs/S9IWhwdXLmY/s1600/Blogpics3+067.JPG

- they look bigger than I guess they are. I'll def put it on the fondle list. :) where'd you get yours?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Must be some other Kahr line of pistols out there. They have a markedly short length of pull . Work well for small to medimum hands , but not so much for big hands with long fingers.

But meanwhile for the OP : We're not trying to blow you off with chicles , but YOU really need to try lots of pistols in YOUR hands.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I pocket carry a SIG P938 using a Desanti's pocket holster with the flap that disguises the print as a wallet. For me, it is the easiest way to carry. Winter carry is in the back pocket for blue jeans, summer carry is in the front cargo pocket of cargo shorts. The gun is small enough that holster carry OWB with the cover of a shirt is barely noticeable. I also have a crossbreed appendix carry holster. How I carry depends on the situation. 75% of the time it is back pocket carry. 15% of the time it is front cargo shorts pocket. 10% of the time it is appendix carry or OWB.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    As a fellow fat guy, let me save you a lot of time and money. Your best bet will be either a Ruger LCP with a wallet holster or a Kahr Arms, pocket carry, with a Sticky holster. Both are all-day comfortable for those of us that husky. The 45CM would be my call, but the 9CM is another great choice. They are both small and fit in the front pocket of most of my jeans. Everyone swears by the Crossbreed Supertuck and for a IWB holster, and I guess it's OK (I used one for a while), but for all day carry, pocket is pretty hard to beat.

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    Got with any of the following:

Ruger LC9
    Kel Tec PF9
    Khar CM9
    Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380

All are useable for big hands so long as you get aftermarket grips. Also, you can use your regular pants (38) as these are very thin.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I'm 6'2 and 240Lbs and I can carry a 3" ruger sp101 357 mag all day long IWB comfortably. I also carry a Bersa ultra compact pro in 45 acp and it works nicely as well.

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    I carried the glock 19 and 26 for some time. To me there was almost no difference in the feel of the two, as in they were both too big. I recommend a single stack 9mm, like a M&P shield or a Wather PPS. I personally carry a G42 and love it, but that might be to small for you.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    A QUALITY belt and IWB setup is going to help with the sagging pants.

Thanks, but the problem isn't setup so much as it is anatomy - I have tried. I really don't have much of an ass, so when I put my double thick Amish Gun Belt (the ones sold at Chantilly's gun show), along with at least a Galco King Tuck, it is readily evident that I'm carrying because my whole ass looks lopsided. Oh, and it prints even more so when I sit down.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Few things to ponder. I consider myself husky, slight muffin top :) 38 jean no gun, 40 jean when IWB.
    First of all, the G19 is totally concealable and in my opinion does not need to be replaced as a ccw pistol. However, I think a G19 at 3 o clock is still enough grip that prints.
    You are also saying that your chubby hands are too big for a G19, so why go smaller pistol? This confuses me. I think you need to address this issue first before the concealability issue. I think a LCP with be a miserable fail with the size of your hand. I have some big mitts too and they never really worked well with my LCP I HAD.
    My experience (because I am in the same boat) is your method of dress around an IWB or OWB holster. My preference being an outside waistband holster, mainly for comfort.
    If you are usually a 2xl shirt, go 3xl and after it shrinks down(the cheaper Wrangler brand shirts for$13 at Wal Mart usually do), wearing an OWB holster at about 2.5 O'clock :) is usually a good compromise.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the info Blaster, all very useful and duly noted! We are similar in size it seems. I'm a 38-40 depending on brand pant, and an XXL-XXXL in shirt.

I'll try to get pics of me in my IWB to hopefully convey better how obvious it prints, mostly low, but you do bring up some good points. I'll mostly be carrying in VA, and when I travel south to NC and SC as well, and given that, maybe I'm best off just going OWB with draping top clothing for that most part, and yea, I'm curious how comfortable or not those compression holster shirts will be. No doubt will opt for the Coolmax ones whenever I buy, but good point as well on the Talon Grips. That makes me think maybe I'm better off with a Belly Band but that theory on the potential issue of trigger snag is quite concerning! Thanks for all that.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Colt Combat Commander. Hides well and will fit your hand and it's a .45.

Mmmmm, yeah those sound tasty, as do the Kimber Ultra Carry and Springfield EMP are on the secondary list at least. Zippy chance I'd get to rent one of those first, but I do like 1911 style pistols. Those would have to be carried cocked n locked though, no? Also concerned with comfort if I end up doing the whole against my torso thing...

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I pocket carry a SIG P938 using a Desanti's pocket holster with the flap that disguises the print as a wallet. For me, it is the easiest way to carry. Winter carry is in the back pocket for blue jeans, summer carry is in the front cargo pocket of cargo shorts. The gun is small enough that holster carry OWB with the cover of a shirt is barely noticeable. I also have a crossbreed appendix carry holster. How I carry depends on the situation. 75% of the time it is back pocket carry. 15% of the time it is front cargo shorts pocket. 10% of the time it is appendix carry or OWB.

Thanks for the reply - sweet lookin gun, which I may have to try if for nothing just for fun. I'm actually opting for 9mm CCW solution though, as I do come to think of it have a Bersa Thunder CC 380 in the safe, that most def would be able to use many of the options you mentioned. I just kinda figure, if I'm going to carry at all, I'd want 9mm or 38+P at a minimum, but who knows.

BTW, if anyone has some interest in my Bersa CC, PM me, as maybe I'll use those funds for whatever I do end up buying. Mine looks like this:

http://www.bersa.com/bersa-thunder-CC-380-nkl

--JB

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    As a fellow fat guy, let me save you a lot of time and money. Your best bet will be either a Ruger LCP with a wallet holster or a Kahr Arms, pocket carry, with a Sticky holster. Both are all-day comfortable for those of us that husky. The 45CM would be my call, but the 9CM is another great choice. They are both small and fit in the front pocket of most of my jeans. Everyone swears by the Crossbreed Supertuck and for a IWB holster, and I guess it's OK (I used one for a while), but for all day carry, pocket is pretty hard to beat.

Donna Worthy who hosted my CCW class was a HUGE fan of the LCP, as its her EDC. I guess I could look at the LC9, but can ya'll throw out some IP's who carry Kahr's? I'm intrigued, but to be honest, I don't think I've seen any in a shop. Will def checkem out.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I'm 6'2 and 240Lbs and I can carry a 3" ruger sp101 357 mag all day long IWB comfortably. I also carry a Bersa ultra compact pro in 45 acp and it works nicely as well.

Nice! Yeah, SP101 is on my short list. I have a bud who's about your size who belly band wears one, and says he barely notices its there. Thanks for reminding me of that option. I'd like to compare that with the LCR to see the diff in recoil.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Second that emotion. Or else a Sig 1911 C3. Same size, it's a 45 and its a Sig! Got one and it a joy to play with.

Oh, all Bobtailed 1911's are on the table on my higher end solutions. I do get a lil leary of having to carry cocked in locked while concealed. Thanks for the vote! You carry that thing? If so, how so?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom