• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Just dremeled open my Byrd cara cara while I wait for my Spyderco to arrive with built-in wave tab

sorry about big phone pic

abequman.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

blackseven

Regular Guy
    Aug 30, 2011
    Kershaw/Ken Onion Blur S30V
    Right now I believe it's 50 on Amazon after their 10 dollar instant rebate deal on Kershaw knives. I ordered the straight blade without the serrations.

You can get the Non-S30v steel Blurs for under 50 if you shop around.

I carry my blur + Leatherman MUT ($110), and have pretty much everything I need anytime I need it.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Anyone have any good suggestions to replace a Gerber F.A.S.T. assisted opener (the one walmart sells for $30) with something the same form/style/feel with a better steel blade?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Anyone have any good suggestions to replace a Gerber F.A.S.T. assisted opener (the one walmart sells for $30) with something the same form/style/feel with a better steel blade?

IMO people put too much hype into steel, until you get into knives over $100 you don't normally get all 3 parts of a good blade, good steel, good heat treat, good grind and profile, and if you do, then you probably won't have the rest of what makes a good knife, handle, lock, hardware, durable materials, and a opening mechanism that fits well. Considering all that goes into a good knife, if you are looking to save cost, I personally would start with the steel. There is suprisingly little difference in the actual cost of all but the most exotic steel blanks, a small bar stock in a standard size will almost always be under $20, from 440C to D2, cpm S30V, VG-10, 154CM, even Elmax, or S90V. The cost comes with expensive heat treatments, using up wheels and belts to get a sufficient grind, and actually turning that bar stock into a blade. I would rather the cost be applied to a good design, thin high grind, good heat treatment, and durable lock then the latest "super steel". If you like assisted opening, Kershaw has the most choices under $100, and there are a few SOGs in that range too. Both offer a pretty decent value. Once you get above $100, AOs are somewhat rare unless it is a really big blade, the actions are smooth enough, and balanced well enough that you don't really need a spring to overcome the grit and resistance cheaper knives have, they fly open like an AO, but without the spring. If you ever get the chance to try anything with the KVT bearings(Kershaw/ZT), it is a marvel, no spring, just glass smooth action with no resistance. I own a few $200+ knives myself, but made the mistake of handling a ZT 560 Hinderer with KVT, it opens faster, smoother, and with less effort than my ZT300 with spring assist, itself a smooth knife in it's own right. It has all aspects of a good blade, and is actually a bargain at around $220 considering it is based on Hinderer's own highly acclaimed XM-18 that runs nearly $1,000.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011

This is the one I carry. Dick's sells them for $59.99. It lightweight, durable, sharp as a razor, and warranted for life. I own two of them.

SOG-Trident-II-TF-27-600x500.jpg

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    I only ask, because this blade has to be sharpened once a month. I don't buy into the steel-grade hype, and otherwise I like the knife. It's thin, and blends into my pocket when wearing a suit/dress slacks.

I used to carry a CRKT K.I.S.S., but I can't find them for my price point $45 or less, and now I've been spoiled by an assisted opener. Although, I'm starting to think that I could live with carrying a more expensive knife now, since I also carry a $150 surefire flashlight.

Thanks for the pointers, but what SOG knife is that?

I looked at the SOG slim Jim, but I havne't been able to find one to actually handle yet.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I only ask, because this blade has to be sharpened once a month. I don't buy into the steel-grade hype, and otherwise I like the knife. It's thin, and blends into my pocket when wearing a suit/dress slacks.

I used to carry a CRKT K.I.S.S., but I can't find them for my price point $45 or less, and now I've been spoiled by an assisted opener. Although, I'm starting to think that I could live with carrying a more expensive knife now, since I also carry a $150 surefire flashlight.

Thanks for the pointers, but what SOG knife is that?
    I looked at the SOG slim Jim, but I havne't been able to find one to actually handle yet.

Sorry, I should have revealed that. It's a SOG Trident Tanto. One of the clerks at Dick's opened one up for me to play with because he knew I was going to buy it and he was right. Best folder I've ever owned.

It's sharp as a razor (really) out of the package and only takes a couple of passes through a ceramic "v" sharpener to restore it back to it's original sharpness.

And no, I don't work for SOG.:D

PKendall10

Oct 29, 2012
    Laurel/College Park
    I love my SOG Flash II, I've had 2 (only because my dumbass self lost the first) and they're quality knives.

They come with an assisted opening which is seriously convenient. I own a Benchmade Griptillian as well, and I prefer the SOG for EDC.

The deep pocket carry is a plus as well.

B7F35297-8F4A-4C87-82B6-68FBBDEC2D92-28585-00001739F28458B2.jpg

1683A1F3-E7AF-40A9-A879-39E3CBBD2D84-28585-00001739D8162358.jpg

78941149-51BF-4F31-9DCE-5BD091187420-28585-00001739CEE6BC92.jpg

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    That SOG knife looks thick. How does it sit in the pocket?

I like the thinner knives because they're less obtrusive and I don't notice them when I sit down.

PKendall10

Oct 29, 2012
    Laurel/College Park
    It fits well, it's not terribly thick compared to my Benchmade and you definitely wont have problems feeling it when you sit down because it is absurdly lightweight.

For the blade length, you really can't get much lighter than that.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I love the SOG Trident Tanto, but it doesn't feel as substantial as my Buck Alpha Hunter. Granted, the Alpha Hunter would be a belt carry, while you can drop the Trident Tanto into a pocket.

Attachments

• image-563052813.jpg
      image-563052813.jpg
      9.6 KB · Views: 152

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    That SOG knife looks thick. How does it sit in the pocket?

I like the thinner knives because they're less obtrusive and I don't notice them when I sit down.

If you're asking about the trident, I wear close fitting jeans and it clips comfortably on and inside my front pocket. It's also light enough that I can not use the clip and put it all the way in a pocket in dress clothes.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Want a knife that you'll never let go!?!?!?!?!

Benchmade Mini-AFCK. (Try to find one!!! They've been discontinued, from what I've read.)

Benchmade800812.jpg

I bought 2 of 'em.

The "Eclipse" is a less expensively scaled version of the "Mini-AFCK".

Both knives are razor sharp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom