• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

Cool... I'll probably get another. Thanks for the heads up!

For the OP... you might also check out the Opinel. A cheapie French-made knife that has an iconic design (they were actually featured at the NY Museum of Modern Art).

The No. 8 is the "most common" size. About $20 delivered. I believe most of the models come in either carbon steel or Inox (stainless). Personally, I'd go with the carbon steel. Not a "tactical" knife by any stretch, but they are extremely light, make excellent slicers, and are fun to bring on a picnic or whatnot.

http://www.amazon.com/Opinel-No8-Ca...TF8&coliid=I3HDTH7IGH52ZN&colid=1CL07PD0KL43J

414k8XbF%2BbL._SS500_.jpg

I'll second the Opinel. :thumbsup:

I've been using them since 1982, and I'm addicted to how darn sharp these things are, and how well they slice through a wide variety of materials. When the do go dull, they sharpen up in a few minutes. They seem a little bulky at first glance, but they are so light weight they don't get noticed while carrying. Plus they have a low politically correct profile, and are low on the radar. Not something to dismiss these days. The stainless ones us good Sandvik steel from Sweden.Add in the fact they cost little more than a beer at the corner bar, and it's icing on the cake.

sskijr

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2008
    I have a nice vintage folding Buck knife for sale in the classifieds for 20 bucks.....ftf.

Homesteader

Aug 9, 2011
    Catonsville
    Here's my favorite: Gerber, ~3 inches, serrated edge and, key here, the raised tab so you can flip open with your thumb. I got mine on Cabela's for just under $50 but couldn't find it again just now. If you can't find it or don't agree, I'd say at least go for some serrated edge for cutting sinew/rope and the thumb tab is invaluable.

(picture not attaching well, sorry)

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Been carrying the tenacious for about 3 weeks now and here is what I have to say. For the price it has been a great knife. Blade has held edge really well and I've used it for everything from opening letters to cutting rope on the boat. As for EDC it is a little wide for my liking. It seems to not fit in dress pants real great due to the large thumb hole. However this allows for extremely easy and fast one handed opening. So in closing I think I am still on the lookout for a new EDC but the tenacious is a good fit until I find something I really love.

TOWcritter

Self Sufficent Sovereign
    i am a knife buff but there are so many knives these days it seems like i hear about a good new knife every week. i am looking for a good edc knife not to small i like a full grip so around a 3 1/2" blade is good. also around the 40$ price range please post what type of steel it uses also i do not want a cheap blade :D

i can go up to 50$ with shipping thanks in advance:D

This is my EDC......

Attachments

• My Knife.jpg
      My Knife.jpg
      4.3 KB · Views: 278

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    My favorite pocket/work knife is the Ken Onion Kershaw Blackout. Spring assist, perfect in the hand, great steel for the money in my opinion. $46

blackout.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Onion...=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1309045675&sr=1-1

For a cheapie that'll get shaving sharp and hold a decent edge, Byrd Cara Cara (low-end Spyderco Endura). They were $16 when I got mine, with demand they've gone up to $30+. Wish I had bought three a year ago.

3395632467_51ab5496d9.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Byrd-Cara-Pla...=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1309045723&sr=1-1

Looks like they're down to $18 now on Amazon with Super Saver Shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049AYJP4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

bullbarrel

Apr 28, 2009
    western maryland
    I own a Kershaw,The metal is soft and if you use it daily,you will also have to sharpen it daily.There ok if not used alot.(hold on I'll go look for mine,it's in a box in the basement somewhere!):D

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    I saw someone posted about their personal experience with Kershaws blade chipping and losing their serration teeth, but they didn't specific what steel? Kershaw upgrades base steel and offers their models in a variety of steels - ranging from s30v, to Sandvik 13C26 & 14...., and 440c.

The torsion bar in any of the SpeedSafe assisted opening models is a wear item, but as are springs in any of the competitions AO models. Kershaw will typically send you a new bar and mini torx at no cost (gives you a good excuse to clean up the accumulated crud and grit and relube the knife) or alternatively you can send it to them where during its time there they'll also reshaped it at no cost. Kershaw allows you to send in your knife at any time for a free resharpen/reprofiling as well.

The long and short of it is when your budget is sub $50 you have to level set expectations. Expect a good utility quality knife with passable edge holding capability, and basic utility level strength and durability. Decent balance, machine level tolerances and smoothness, maybe one trick feature.

Since I'm not going to be repeated placed "in the shit" on a daily basis like some of the LEO, MIL, and EMS members are, I can comfortably get away with a sub-$100 pocket knife. I chose the Blur Tanto. Before that was a Gerber Chameleon.

Attachments

• image-3886710433.jpg
      image-3886710433.jpg
      99.3 KB · Views: 179
    • image-1446194193.jpg
      image-1446194193.jpg
      45.4 KB · Views: 173

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    I don't know how good it is but I just got it in the mail yesterday a Kershaw Leek . I plan to use it as my work knife so I will start to carry it on Monday. I think it was about $ 45 so it is in the price range .
    The GOOD thing it is made in USA.

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    Mtairy Biker said:
    I don't know how good it is but I just got it in the mail yesterday a Kershaw Leek . I plan to use it as my work knife so I will start to carry it on Monday. I think it was about $ 45 so it is in the price range .
    The GOOD thing it is made in USA.

The Leek is a very popular model. You should enjoy it. I would caution that, as you probably have already noticed, the blade is a bit thin at the point so don't use it for prolonged prying.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Spyderco Dragonfly 2 is a good one for ~$40. Serrated or plain edge, VG-10 blade, 1.2oz, nice pocket clip, easy to carry, made in Japan.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    vantageprooutdoors.jpg

it still regularly kicks bigger and more expensive knives out of my pocket. It's just got great blade geometry, which combined with the s30v's ability to take and hold a shallower edge, makes this one heck of a slicer. It's hard to beat for the loot.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    IMO the smaller, cheaper Spydercos with flat ground blades and G10 handles are probably the best inexpensive EDC knives out, even their FRN is decent, light, strong, and works fine with their decent lockback designs. Kershaws are fun, but they love either slippery and heavy steel handles, or cheese grater inserts that are rough on hands and pockets, leaving a precious few with textured FRN or g10. I have had a lot of cheaper EDC knives over the years, carried pretty much everything, owned several dozen,I'm a sucker for a nifty gimmic. Last couple years though I have become a sucker for some expensive gimmicks, quality, USA made, proprietary features, and good materials and workmanship.

I've found that while you get a decent knife for $50, that you get a really good knife for $100, and excellent one for $200, custom folders can get really expensive, and there gets to be a point of diminishing returns for a daily use knife, but you can still get a lot of value with a folder costing a few hundred. I'm not much of a steel nerd, although I have a background in automotive machining and steels, most knife steels are excellent, some a little better in some aspects than others, but for most, the differences are more subtle than some would have me belive, although blade design, fit and heat treatment make a ton more difference. Be careful, once you get a good knife over the $100 mark, where the money goes into design and fit more than just expensive steel you won't go back. With a nice folder I do take care of it, and while I still do use them daily and carry them constantly, I don't abuse them. If I want to hammer, pry, or drive screws, or even to cut a lot of tough material like cardboard or flooring with prior knowledge, I use another far cheaper, and more appropriate tool. It works a lot better and is a lot cheaper to swap $0.10 blades in a box cutter than grind life away from a $200 EDC folder if you know you are going to be cutting a pile of boxes or flooring.

These are some past and current folders and multi-tools(I usually carry one of each), just what is in my office, and hasn't been broken or lost.
    IMAG1237.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom