• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mesduckman

Registered Sika Offender
    Feb 17, 2014
    Carney, MD
    This is my first ever resurrection project. I recently was given a Remington 1100 20 gauge LW (short tang barrel) which looked like some one had shoved it in the ground and tied a goat to it. The barrel is 100% FUBAR. As for the rest, butt-stock solid, new forend on the way, some professionally (gunsmith) fixable rust on the magazine tube needed, complete dis-assembly & cleaning I have done. I believe the old gal will rise and fire again. In my search for another barrel, which has been quite an education, I've noticed that most LW barrels chambered in 2 3/4 only are plain...no VR. But there are many 3" VR to be found.
    Questions:
    1) Since the true LW's (not post 1977 LT's) were made from 1968-1974ish were any of them chambered for 3"?
    2) Aside from the usual suspects, EBay, Corson Bbls, Barrel Exchange, Numrich...etc. does anyone know another site/place to find the elusive LW barrels?
    3) Is there anywhere local (Eastern Shore to Balto) that I can get quality hot blue work done?

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated
    Thanks,
    MESDuckman

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    2nd on Gunbroker but you may want to check with Shotgunners forum as well.
    I have been looking at one of those shotguns for my daughter.

Good luck

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Call Remington, I'm pretty sure they will make a barrel for you.

^^^This.

I'm at work, and they have imposed some "web non-sense" that doesn't allow access to some sites. Remington's is one.

Call Remington. Give them the serial number of the shotgun, and they can tell you how it originally left the factory (what configuration) and when it was 'born'.

They have a parts list online, in .pdf format.
    You can peruse that for the barrel, or, ask Remington if it's available.

Just remember....... anything you buy from Remington, they charge the sales tax for the state you live in.
    (Don't ask me how I know..... or how many times I've found that out!):D

mesduckman

Registered Sika Offender
    Feb 17, 2014
    Carney, MD
    Thanks everyone, I'll give Remington a call. I dropped everything off today @ R.A. Brown's in Westminster to be stripped, hot blued, and reassembled. Will let you know how it turns out.

They have a parts list online, in .pdf format.
    You can peruse that for the barrel, or, ask Remington if it's available.

^^
    I've been on the Remington sight and can't seem to find the .pdf. Could you post the link?

tigmaned

Feb 25, 2007
    Crofton
    give this a try, place a WTB add on trapshooters.com the site gets a lot of lookers... its more just trap shooters there!

byf43

^^
    I've been on the Remington sight and can't seem to find the .pdf. Could you post the link?

http://www.remington.com/pages/support/parts-information.aspx

Left-hand side of the page -
    Under Parts Information
    Under Parts Resources

Click on Parts Price List

When the .pdf opens, scroll down to page 89 of 127.
    Middle of the page -

Part Number - Drawing number - Description - Price
    F242760 V-11 1100 BBL 20/21" IC RS DEER BL (FIXED I/C BBL NO RC) $193.64
    F242644 V-11 1100 BBL 20/21" RC VT YOUTH MATTE (MOD CHOKE TUBE .591) 2-3/4" $226.60
    F242643 V-11 1100 BBL 20/26" RC VT LT MATTE (MOD CHOKE TUBE .591) $226.60
    F242641 V-11 1100 BBL 20/26" RC VT LT (MOD CHOKE TUBE .591) $264.71
    F242646 V-11 1100 BBL 20/26" RC VT LT TOURN. SKEET (EXT. SKEET CHOKE) $226.60
    F405036 V-11 1100 BBL 20/28" RC VT MATTE $226.60
    F242640 V-11 1100 BBL 20/28" RC VT LT BL (MOD CHOKE TUBE .591) $264.71
    F242642 V-11 1100 BBL 20/28" RC VT LT SPTG (EXT MOD CHOKE TUBE .606) $237.93

Example:

F242641 = the part number.
    V-11 = the drawing number
    1100 BBL = 1100 barrel
    20/26" = 20 ga, 26" barrel
    RC VT LT = Remchoke, Vent Rib, Light contour
    (MOD CHOKE TUBE .591) = Includes Modified choke and constriction
    $264.71 = Costs this amount.

I hope this helps.

mesduckman

Registered Sika Offender
    Feb 17, 2014
    Carney, MD
    http://www.remington.com/pages/suppo...formation.aspx

Left-hand side of the page -
    Under Parts Information
    Under Parts Resources

Click on Parts Price List

^^
    Thanks byf43.

I really do appreciate the responses. Thanks all

I called Remington yesterday and gave them the receiver #. She was born in 1971 as a 2 3/4" only model (parallel oval, not widened at the rear, ejection port as a visual confirmation) firmly planting her in the LW category. As for Remington they WILL NOT make a barrel for her, Custom Shop either. So I am left with the check everywhere and pray method. Am looking for a 26" or 28" Vent Rib LW in either Mod. or Full. Per Remington all of those original LW barrels came fixed choke (makes sense...Pre-Rem Choke era).
    So that's all for now. The education continues, stay tuned!

Duckman

byf43

Suggestion:

Call Remington again, and ask them IF this barrel will fit your LW:

Part number: F242641
    This is a 20 ga., 26" Remchoke Vent-Rib Light Contour barrel, with Modified Choke Tube provided, for $264.71.

I THINK that all 20 ga guns (1100/11-87/870) are now considered "LW".
    The "Old" 20 ga guns were built on the larger 12 ga receiver, IF memory serves me.
    (I know that the LT barrels will NOT fit the "Old" receivers.)

Unless you are trying to restore this scattergun to it's original condition, the RemChoke barrel will be just perfect.
    Buy a different choke tube, now you're ready for different game.

mesduckman

Registered Sika Offender
    Feb 17, 2014
    Carney, MD
    Suggestion:

Call Remington again, and ask them IF this barrel will fit your LW:

Part number: F242641
    This is a 20 ga., 26" Remchoke Vent-Rib Light Contour barrel, with Modified Choke Tube provided, for $264.71.

I THINK that all 20 ga guns (1100/11-87/870) are now considered "LW".
    The "Old" 20 ga guns were built on the larger 12 ga receiver, IF memory serves me.
    (I know that the LT barrels will NOT fit the "Old" receivers.)

Unless you are trying to restore this scattergun to it's original condition, the RemChoke barrel will be just perfect.
    Buy a different choke tube, now you're ready for different game.

byf43<

Here is what I have learned on the 1100 20 gauges:
    There have been 3 incarnations of this shotgun. The first was indeed based on the surplus 12 gauge receivers Remington had laying around pre1968/69ish (don't quote me on the year) and are known for barrel hunters like me as the 20 gauge Standard.
    The second model was based on the .410/28 gauge receiver to "lighten" the gun (only cut a few ounces off the Standard weight) and was dubbed the LW, which is the model I have and the barrel I seek. It's production run was a few short years 1968/69ish-1974ish.
    This is where it gets really fun. Can't find much about the "lost years" between 1974-1977 which I believe is why on some barrels one might find LT/LW stamping. :banghead:
    The last and current LT began its' life in 1977 and is also based on the .410/28 gauge receiver. The difference between the LW and the post 1977 LT receiver/barrel configuration is that the LW has a short (1 3/8") barrel extention/tang, the part that slides into the receiver, much like that of the 870. The current LT models have a long (3 3/8") barrel extention/tang more like the 12 gauge 1100 thereby rendering barrel swaps between the 2 similar receivers impossible. So the part number you suggested won't work because it is an LT barrel. The oldest 12 gauge frame Standard models are an animal all their own and don't enter the picture as far as my restoration is concerned. In my case it is buyer beware, make sure I'm getting the correct barrel.

Clear as mud?? Me too!
    The education continues...

Thanks again,
    Duckman

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    To make things even murkier, at some point it in time, early 80"s?, there was also a Light Contour available. I was looking to replace the barrel on my late 70"s 870 and Cabellas sold barrels made by both Rem and Mossberg, the Mossys being a lot cheaper. AFAIK, the only difference was that the LC would fit a gun with a Std weight barrel but not the guns made with a LC barrel. It's too bad they don't list them in their catalog anymore AFAIK.

mesduckman

Registered Sika Offender
    Feb 17, 2014
    Carney, MD
    After calling around quite a bit I've found that the best bets for finding a barrel are as follows:

Don Corson/Arizona www.corsonbarrels.com

Barrel Exchange/Georgia www.barrelexchange.com

Called both places and they were both very willing to talk about the differences between the 2 models. Though neither place had what I am looking for, I'm sure I'll be doing business with one of them when they do.
    Of note I also called Ahlman's [URL="http://www.ahlmans.com"][/URL] in Minnesota and they were very willing to help but I had to explain to them the differences in the barrels, they are a recommended parts dealer on the Remington website. So again buyer beware.

byf43

byf43<

Here is what I have learned on the 1100 20 gauges:
    There have been 3 incarnations of this shotgun. The first was indeed based on the surplus 12 gauge receivers Remington had laying around pre1968/69ish (don't quote me on the year) and are known for barrel hunters like me as the 20 gauge Standard.
    The second model was based on the .410/28 gauge receiver to "lighten" the gun (only cut a few ounces off the Standard weight) and was dubbed the LW, which is the model I have and the barrel I seek. It's production run was a few short years 1968/69ish-1974ish.
    This is where it gets really fun. Can't find much about the "lost years" between 1974-1977 which I believe is why on some barrels one might find LT/LW stamping. :banghead:
    The last and current LT began its' life in 1977 and is also based on the .410/28 gauge receiver. The difference between the LW and the post 1977 LT receiver/barrel configuration is that the LW has a short (1 3/8") barrel extention/tang, the part that slides into the receiver, much like that of the 870. The current LT models have a long (3 3/8") barrel extention/tang more like the 12 gauge 1100 thereby rendering barrel swaps between the 2 similar receivers impossible. So the part number you suggested won't work because it is an LT barrel. The oldest 12 gauge frame Standard models are an animal all their own and don't enter the picture as far as my restoration is concerned. In my case it is buyer beware, make sure I'm getting the correct barrel.

Clear as mud?? Me too!
    The education continues...

Thanks again,
    Duckman

^^^ No, Thank YOU.

I knew about the different size receivers, but, I didn't know about the LT vs LW 'stuff'.

And yes -

"The education continues..." :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good luck finding a barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom