• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    i am a knife buff but there are so many knives these days it seems like i hear about a good new knife every week. i am looking for a good edc knife not to small i like a full grip so around a 3 1/2" blade is good. also around the 40$ price range please post what type of steel it uses also i do not want a cheap blade :D

i can go up to 50$ with shipping thanks in advance:D

livefast1

May 31, 2010
    easton,md
    Its the name of the model, I know kinda wierd. Im an automotive tech and I bought it from our snap on man after hearing him brag how tough it was. Best knife I ever bought.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    For $35-$45 the Ontario RAT 1(AUS8 steel made in Taiwan) is a great value rat1.GIF

Also the American made Buck Vantage can be found at Wal - Mart ( it's available with several quality blade steels and handle types) costs anywhere from $20 - $60 new and worth every cent.

Attachments

• buckvantage.jpg
      buckvantage.jpg
      16.4 KB · Views: 1,058

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    For $35-$45 the Ontario RAT 1(AUS8 steel made in Taiwan) is a great value View attachment 38056

Also the American made Buck Vantage can be found at Wal - Mart ( it's available with several quality blade steels and handle types) costs anywhere from $20 - $60 new and worth every cent.

Walmart sells the vantage? I like the way that looks.

To the OP, the "Needs Work" is a great knife. Easy to sharpen. Good steel. Smooth and locks up tight.

Really anything Kershaw that is to your liking (blade design, ergo's, etc.) are a great buy IMHO. But I've carried some type of kershaw for about 10 years now. I currently EDC a kershaw Junkyard Dog II and am very pleased. 2 years ago it was a "Needs Work" which I carried for about 2 years. I tend to rotate EDC's every 2 years.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    I have my favorites, but they'll cost a little more than what you're looking to spend. IMHO my knife is my most-used tool. I have spent thousands of dollars on firearms I don't get to use anywhere other than a range and thousands of dollars on automotive or home tools I only use occassionally, I can afford to spend a hundred bucks on something I carry and use every single day. My favorite: Benchmade model 710 McHenry Williams. The AXIS lock is without equal and the D2 tool steel will take extreme abuse.

Kershaws are ok, but I've yet to own one that didn't end up having a chipped blade from even softer wear than I put on my Benchmades. The steel Kershaw uses is very brittle, it takes one hell of a sharp edge but it sacrifices a lot in terms of wear and tear which just isn't a good trade off to me. I have also owned several of which that needed the spring for the assisted opening replaced. They are decent blades for the money, but for a little more investment you'll get something that simply won't need to be replaced. I own dozens of EDC knives (Kershaw, SOG, CRKT, Spyderco, Boker, Gerber, MoD, Ka-Bar, Zero Tolerance, Benchmade... off the top of my head) and a Benchmade has been in my pocket for quite a few years now, if that tells you anything.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    In fact to follow that up you want this knife right here:

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=BM710D2

BM710D2.jpg

To the OP: if you aren't sold on it being the best goddamned knife you have ever used I will buy the thing off of you (assuming you don't intentionally pry it in half or something crazy... it's still just a piece of metal) for what you paid. No joke, I have nothing to gain here, but that is the same knife that has been in my pocket for two years now and nothing has compared since. The only knife I intend to replace it with is the same one in the off chance I ever do manage to break this one.

If you look at the reviews on Knife Center you'll see I'm not the only one that feels this way.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD

To the OP: if you aren't sold on it being the best goddamned knife you have ever used I will buy the thing off of you (assuming you don't intentionally pry it in half or something crazy... it's still just a piece of metal) for what you paid. No joke, I have nothing to gain here, but that is the same knife that has been in my pocket for two years now and nothing has compared since. The only knife I intend to replace it with is the same one in the off chance I ever do manage to break this one.

If you look at the reviews on Knife Center you'll see I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Benchmade's a great company in the $100+ price range, also can't go wrong with Cold Steel and Emerson IMO.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I have my favorites, but they'll cost a little more than what you're looking to spend. IMHO my knife is my most-used tool. I have spent thousands of dollars on firearms I don't get to use anywhere other than a range and thousands of dollars on automotive or home tools I only use occassionally, I can afford to spend a hundred bucks on something I carry and use every single day. My favorite: Benchmade model 710 McHenry Williams. The AXIS lock is without equal and the D2 tool steel will take extreme abuse.

Kershaws are ok, but I've yet to own one that didn't end up having a chipped blade from even softer wear than I put on my Benchmades. The steel Kershaw uses is very brittle, it takes one hell of a sharp edge but it sacrifices a lot in terms of wear and tear which just isn't a good trade off to me. I have also owned several of which that needed the spring for the assisted opening replaced. They are decent blades for the money, but for a little more investment you'll get something that simply won't need to be replaced. I own dozens of EDC knives (Kershaw, SOG, CRKT, Spyderco, Boker, Gerber, MoD, Ka-Bar, Zero Tolerance, Benchmade... off the top of my head) and a Benchmade has been in my pocket for quite a few years now, if that tells you anything.

I'm not doubting you and I'm not trying to be funny, but what are you doing with a kershaw to chip the blade? Which model did it happen with?

I have quite a few knives (some benchmades even) but I choose to carry a Kershaw. I've put some heavy use on mine and I've NEVER chipped a blade. Perhaps my definition of "Heavy" use is different than yours.

I regularly chip epoxy off of my various projects with a kershaw. At some extreme angles. I would suspect that should chip the edge fairly easy if it really were that fragile.

Benchmades do have better metallurgy and heat treating and are probably more durable, but in my experience I've not found kershaws to be too fragile.

The3clipser

Mister Tea
    Nov 29, 2009
    Can't say I've used a Benchmade. I've yet to meet a dissatisfied owner, but having said that, I am a Kershaw fan. For the price, they're hard to beat. I own a Leek and a Skyline, and I can vouch for the blade chipping, but it was my own fault and I will admit that. They're razor sharp, hold a good edge, and on top of it all, they're not very expensive. I'm going to recommend staying away from Gerber, since, on the one I had, the folding mechanism (hinge?) seized to the point that it was dripping in lube and was still too rough to open one-handed. Plus, the locking mechanism was shaky. Maybe I got a bum one, but I won't own another one.

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.

BM710D2.jpg

I've had that knife for years. It broke my heart to give it away in my first Karma. But I wanted to pass along a good tool. Trust me BenchMade makes a Great knife. Dam it now I'm heading over to their web site. I gotta buy a new one...:D

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    what do you guys think of the kershaw tremor????? it looks very useable and beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom