• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    Any recommendations for a Stainless Steel suppressor for rimfire?
    Host is a Glock17 with 22 conversion 1/2x28 thread.

Thanks in advance.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Both the Sparrow and the Spectre II are excellent. However, since you mentioned pistols specifically, I'd recommend the Spectre over the Sparrow - the difference in first round pop will be noticeable.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    Thank you for the replies.

Is the Spectre easy to disassemble? I read a thread on a Sparrow that was not cleaned regularly (>2000 rounds fired) yet was easily disassembled for cleaning. I did not really think about issues of having difficulty removing the baffles but I saw some threads in the internet about this.

I saw the GM22 which can be open with a wrench (if needed) but I think the monocore is made of aluminum. Any GM22 owners who can provide feedback re: noise suppression and ease of disassembly?

I read in other forums that the Gemtech Alpine has a quiet to non-existent FRP similar to the Spectre2. Primal Rights had in prior threads dating 2012 endorsed the Gemtech Alpine heavily due to the "mouse fart quiet" FRP (their term) which they was as quiet as the Spectre. They described the FRP of the Sparrow as "Broom handle hitting the table loud." My only hesitation on the Alpine was a thread in Primal Rights back in 2013 wherein they were contacting Gemtech about a stuck Alpine and they were kinda left on a limb because at that time Gemtech did not take back suppressors for cleaning.

http://www.primalrights.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8455

Not sure if this has changed -that Gemtech has a cleaning service or at least an option for cases like this to be accepted by the manufacturer for servicing.

I guess the deciding factor in which suppressor would be best for me would be the ease of disassembly. I already read in other threads that the sparrow is easy to disassemble - even without tools. I would appreciate owners of a Spectre and a GM22 if they could give input.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    You will want to clean the Spectre out often. I wouldn't say it was difficult last time I did it with a couple hundred Down the pipe, but a Sparrow will be easier to clean as there's no baffle stack to pry apart.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Any recommendations for a Stainless Steel suppressor for rimfire?
    Host is a Glock17 with 22 conversion 1/2x28 thread.

Thanks in advance.

I have a Glock 22 with a Tactical Solutions 22 conversion and a SilencerCo Sparrow 22. Everything works very well as long as you stick to CCI Mini-mags or CCI Blazer. Fiocchi, Remington Golden Bullet, and American Eagle (in that order of reliability) all just barely have enough power to cycle the action reliably. A good firm grip helps with those latter ammo choices. The CCI variants run reliably all day. Winchester and other cheapo Federal 22 ammo will not cycle that particular 22 Glock conversion. They seem to be under powered for pistol applications.

You can see my exact setup in the NFA picture thread at post #973
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=42495&page=49

I HIGHLY recommend the Sparrow, because you'll soon find out just how remarkably dirty 22 really becomes, especially suppressed. However, like previously stated, there's a VERY noticeable FRP with the Sparrow on pistol hosts. That being said, OMFG am I glad I got the Sparrow because of its easy cleaning. If you can't clean a heavily used 22 suppressor, in my opinion it's pretty much worthless, as the lead deposits on pistol setups will make it useless over time. Unless you take 45min out of your time cleaning a 22 K baffle suppressor after every use, then you will hate life in the future from all the immense lead buildup. I personally don't have time for that, and choose to go long strings without cleaning my Sparrow. After the FRP it sounds very nice and I can live with that as well.

I hope that helps.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Spectre II is my vote. The baffles come a part easily and can be dipped in a smaller container. That is is if you plan on using the dip.
    I have used suppressors with mono cores and baffles. It seems to me the mono's have much more FRP and can be a pain to clean. I am not talking about disassembly, I am talking about the actual cleaning.
    OTOH, the sparrow is SS so you can dip it.
    There is another player in the game who is local. Freedom Armory has a SS 22 can. A couple IP's have/had them. Duffy's being one. They seem very well built. They use baffles as well. I compared it side by side with a Spectre II and heard no difference. Same host with 2 brands of ammo. Host was a SW MP 22.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    You will want to clean the Spectre out often. I wouldn't say it was difficult last time I did it with a couple hundred Down the pipe, but a Sparrow will be easier to clean as there's no baffle stack to pry apart.

The sparrow is a great can, but I haven't had any problems with my spectre II using a cleaning interval of >1000rnds.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    The sparrow is a great can, but I haven't had any problems with my spectre II using a cleaning interval of >1000rnds.

Shrug. I had 3 baffles that wouldn't easily click apart after a few hundred rounds, but I did get them apart and did clean up the can. A Sparrow would be easier no doubt, but I bought the Spectre II for a reason and stand by that decision.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Shrug. I had 3 baffles that wouldn't easily click apart after a few hundred rounds, but I did get them apart and did clean up the can. A Sparrow would be easier no doubt, but I bought the Spectre II for a reason and stand by that decision.

Not sure if you've tried this - I like to push the baffle stack out the back enough that one complete baffle is protruding....then use something like a plastic pen ( I think Silencerco recommends a hex key) through the orifice to pop it off. It's a snap (excuse the pun) doing it that way. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom