• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    So my wife bought me a smooth bore 1867 EIG percussion pistol for my birthday. It has seen better days -- the nipple has a chip up front and the wood has been pinned in spots but everything seems very solid. It has been seriously used over the last 150ish years.

There was some light rust in the bore but no real pitting. That cleaned right up.

Once I score some .65 lead I plan to take it to the range and run some light patched loads through it (25-30 grains -- service load was 55 grains apparently). The question I have is caps. What size caps work well with these old percussion guns? Can I assume musket caps will do the trick?

Am I looking at buying a few different sizes and just seeing what works?

Thanks.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Musket caps would probably be too big. Pistols usually use #10 or #11 pistol caps.
    #10 is slightly smaller, so I'd go with #11 and if they are too big and they fall off just pinch them a little before putting them on the nipple.

Last edited:

damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    There is no way #10s or #11s will fit this bad boy. I'm thinking a musket cap of some sort will be required.

Whatever the story is on this thing -- it's a long one. When I first looked down the bore I used a poor light and it looked cruddy (as in dirt) as hell. So I took a 12 gauge brass brush to the thing and and the metal close to the muzzle looked pretty good. I thought I was done.

Over the weekend I thought I'd start round two.

So next I wrapped a 3" patch on the bore brush, dunked it in hoppes, and went back to work. The brush came out a red muddy color.

With a raised eyebrow I went and got a more powerful light and looked down the muzzle -- I saw what looked like impacted silt at the bottom of the barrel laying at an angle. I took a brass rod and started to carefully chip away at the silt for a bit. Then I'd tip it over and use a plastic mallet to tap the barrel.

I did this for 5 minutes and had about a 1/4 cup worth of red silty dirt sitting there. Along with what looked like chunks of impacted black powder. These weren't flakes of carbon but actual chunks of black material.

So *now* the bore is almost clean. It's rough but not to the point of making it a display piece. A patched ball will def. work.

I do have a pic but no where to host it.

D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom