• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    I have been reading up on it from what I can tell having it removes the limit of buying a regulated firearm every 30 days. I can't really see any other limits or requirements.

Because there looks like a lot to gain and no side effects I decided to look over the form. The form looks pretty straight forward except for one of the questions? The question is "Describe nature of collecting activities"?

What is generally put there?

Thanks
    Robert

KimuraFTW

Jul 20, 2012
    Clinton, MD
    I'd like to know the answer to this also. As well as if there are any downsides to becoming a designating collector as I've heard there are with purchasing NFA items...

Ultimate Member
    I have been reading up on it from what I can tell having it removes the limit of buying a regulated firearm every 30 days. I can't really see any other limits or requirements.

Because there looks like a lot to gain and no side effects I decided to look over the form. The form looks pretty straight forward except for one of the questions? The question is "Describe nature of collecting activities"?

What is generally put there?

Thanks
    Robert

The form is an affidavit and basically says you want to collect, so they'll do another background check when you send it in. Then the MSP will approve you (hopefully) and you can just check the box that you are a collector.

I wrote something about collecting. I said that I like rifles that are regulated in MD and want to buy a lot as an investment. Of course prices were too high and I bought pistols for my first 7 purchases. No one said anything.

There is not wrong answer for this box unless you write something bad.

Don't forget to have the thing notarized too. MSP tends to sit on them a while. It took mine about 5 months to get through and I had to call them 2 times. I gave the my social (555-55-5555) waited and they said the had my application and it was being processed. fun times

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I always suggest " Collecting firearms of all types." No reason to limit yourself, not that it matters once you are listed as a collector.

Last edited:

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    Just don't put anything that indicates anything other than private collecting, and you should be ok.

For example, if you were to put, "So I can refurbish and re-sell older guns", you might be disapproved. Not that you would, but that would hint at commercial reasons for the designation.

stic2it

Aug 26, 2012
    FYI, I sent my application in 2 weeks ago and today i had my approval letter in the mail box. They must be working some OT at the barracks. I wasn't expecting it this early, i was hoping to wait to get a AR lower and a M&P at the same time in two months. I dont have the funds ready yet!

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Don't you give the State Police permission to come to your home and view your collection?

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    FYI, I sent my application in 2 weeks ago and today i had my approval letter in the mail box...

Yeah, I got my letter today, too. Mailed it on 9/24, just a tad over a week. Also wrote "Personal collection".

:cool:

Justler

Jan 5, 2012
    I submitted this form about two weeks ago (notarized) and just got mine back saying I am "approved" and "entered into the system" as being a collector and that I no longer need to wait 30 days between purchases.

I thought I wouldn't get a reply for a month, but I must have hit the cycle for when they were processing these for the end or beginning of the month! Was really quick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom