• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I get delayed 75% of the time now. Never had a problem until 6 months ago. I went ahead and got 2 sets of prints and sent one to the FBI for a personal background check. Depending upon what pops up there, I'll either correct erroneous information or apply for a UPIN if necessary.

I've found that I don't get delayed midweek between 11-3pm. Friday late afternoon is a lock that I'm going to be delayed.

I wish I bought enough guns to know what time of day is best for a NICS check. ;)

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    NICS doesn't retain the fact that you've queried or how many times. it does keep an audit log of it's people who do the searches. That way if they audit, the NICS's call logs should line up with their search history.

i've seen folks with clearances get held up cause the reviewer isn't trained/cleared to pull the record and they got to find someone who does to hack off on it. added an extra 20 minutes to my friends trip cause of it. we haven't seen what happens when he goes for regulated so that'll be fun to watch him squirm.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Another good reason NOT to get an HQL, and just keep purchasing all guns with the C & R license.....:innocent0

What does an HQL have to do with this?

Handguns go to MSP for clearance and NICS check. This situation, as described, is only on cash adn carry long guns.

Dippah

Feb 23, 2013
    I was Delayed by Dicks Sporting Goods for a shotgun late 2013. Havent been back but did call into NICS which responded with a letter saying that I am not Denied, only Delayed. No further explanation was given. I have never heard of anyone with a full name like mine...and its a very North American/Brittish one (just unique).

MaraD

The Tall Girl
    Aug 15, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    My NICS check on Tuesday came back approved immediately. Don't want to make a guess as to why they want to further review you.

t_stalcup

May 26, 2011
    Hollywood
    I had this happen last time on a long gun. My dealer went off on the phone and stood up for me as a regular customer and got them to back down. We were both shocked.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Are you providing your SS# on the form?

That would make it easier to know if there is name confusion or they think they have something on you.

I know some people don't provide the SS#. I always do and get the good to go in a few seconds.
    Only time I was ever delayed was when I did provide my SS#.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    I always get further review but never a delayed. I never use my SS, my name is fairly common. I know why so no big deal and I tell dealers they will likely get further review.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    With a name like mine, James Smith, you would think I'd be delayed all of the time. But the truth is, I've only been delayed once, which was years ago at a gun show.

Jim Smith

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    Jesus Christ can you even buy a firearm in Md.I haven't pursued a HQL,probably won't ,Have a Gp 100 and a xd 45. Thats about it for handguns. The only thing next would be a 308 bolt gun or a semi auto 308. Money has been tight but soon I would like to get something.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    It's possible someone with a similar name recently got into trouble, or recently had a record of their previous troubles uploaded to NICS.

Since NICS can't keep records of your previous resolution, they have to keep delaying to investigate.

You can sign up for the voluntary appeal file program, this allows NICS to keep a record of the resolution to the delay so it doesn' happen in the future.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/appeals/nics_vaf_brochure_eng.pdf

eos40b

Senile Member
    I have a HQL but due to me being a LEGAL alien from Great Britian then I am always delayed on the check always saying it will be delayed 24-48 hours.It has some thing to do with squierly Social Security number. I am use to it now

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    Only been delayed 1 time. It was years ago for a single shot bolt action Henry .22lr for my son to use. I know nics doesn't know what gun I am buying but I found it rather comical that of all the purchases I have made that a firearm like that would trigger a delayed.

Camry21205

Jul 26, 2014
    Criminal locked up with same name!

My son who is a Jr. (same name as mine) has a criminal record and use to live in my house but not anymore and is LOCKED UP, Do you guys think that this would STOP me from getting an Md HQL License?? I already purchased 2 handguns in years past but my NICS and JIS are showing "Incomplete" for 3 days now.. Md Is Crazy..

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    My son who is a Jr. (same name as mine) has a criminal record and use to live in my house but not anymore and is LOCKED UP, Do you guys think that this would STOP me from getting an Md HQL License?? I already purchased 2 handguns in years past but my NICS and JIS are showing "Incomplete" for 3 days now.. Md Is Crazy..

I wouldn't think this would be an issue.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom