• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    I believe that should be 'arbitrary and capricious'.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Are all of these Avtomat Kalashnikov Semiautomatic rifles in any format?
    Sporting Saiga
    VEPR
    Super VEPR
    RPK
    Yes. Or, at least I think I could make a reasonable argument for that in court.

And, as far as interpretation goes, remember that we're dealing with the same people who "reinterpreted" the "Bushmaster semi-auto rifle" to ban a specific marketing brand. I'm done with assuming the state is going to act logically or rationally.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    There are LGSs that will tell you a VEPR in 7.62x54r is OK in Maryland.

It's a F-ing sporting rifle and nothing more. It's in no way an AK47.

Find a local LGS who will order one with a standard rifle (non pistol grip style) stock and do the deed. The link gun looks illegal here.

The Saiga shotgun is AK47 based too, but they are legal here.

A Vepr may not be an AK-47, but it is a Kalashnikov pattern rifle.

A Saiga shotgun is not a rifle, that's why it remains legal.

hacktracker

Apr 10, 2012
    Lower-Slower
    I guess I'm wondering where the Kalash-pattern ends. Any magazine feed long-stroke piston gun from a Com-Block nation? I thought there was an MSP rule about parts interchangeability.

Confusing.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I guess I'm wondering where the Kalash-pattern ends. Any magazine feed long-stroke piston gun from a Com-Block nation? I thought there was an MSP rule about parts interchangeability.

Confusing.

I actually spoke to a dealer in MD a few years ago (who is an IP here, but I won't call him out), who interpreted the Vz.58 as a regulated firearm would only transfer it as such. He knew full well how one of those works, but still chose to consider it a Kalashnikov pattern rifle.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT

Confusing.

Exactly. Is it solely cosmetic? If so, is the gsg 47 banned? Solely function of gas system? Is the XCR banned?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The ironic thing about the passage of SB-281 is some FFLs who previously wouldn't sell VZs or 12-guage AKs as non-regulated arms are suddenly... agreeable... about their status.

If an AR-10 is OK, then a .308 or x54r AK should still be legal too but we all know laws aren't made on good intel or logic.

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    I made the mistake of finding out which one I liked, Tactical Sniper.

From the description:

"Veprs are built for extreme demands above and beyond all others with extra heavy duty receiver, extra heavy duty reinforcement each side and an extra heavy hammer forged chrome lined target like barrel. The combination of years of proven design with attention to detail has produced legendary dependability and legendary accuracy from the jungles to Siberia!

Enhanced against weather and mechanical wear the cartridge chamber, barrel bore, gas cylinder, and bolt- support rod are chrome lined.

The VEPR Rifle in 7362X54R is the top of the line in Kalashnikov action semi-automatic rifles. With features such as; Hammer forged heavy barrel, (including a chrome lined barrel bore, chamber, gas block and gas piston), 1.5mm thick receiver, RPK front trunnion, three locking lug bolt, spring loaded firing pin, side scope mount . The VEPR is simply the highest quality rifle based on the Kalashnikov design. The VEPR Rifles and Carbines are sporting arms based on the famous Soviet designed RPK. VEPR rifles are manufactured at the historic Vyatskie Polyany Machine Building Plant (a.k.a. "MOLOT"). Molot has been building excellence into their firearms for over 50 years"

I knew I would miss something, this is it!

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    If an AR-10 is OK, then a .308 or x54r AK should still be legal too but we all know laws aren't made on good intel or logic.

The only problem with that is that the list only says AR-15, not Armalite pattern rifle. The AR-10 predates the AR-15, therefore it's not an AR-15. If the list only said AK-47, then you could make a case that an AKM, AK-74, PSL, etc based rifle is not an AK-47. But because it says Kalashnikov pattern rifle, there is a much broader range of stuff they can claim is banned.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    Reference MSP Bulletin 96-1. To the best of my understanding, if a firearm remains in the "sporting" configuration in which it was imported, it is legal and cash and carry, not formerly regulated/now banned. The bulletin references the old SA93 as an example. Following that lead, I say the PSL and VEPRs are good to go. I still sell Saiga 7.62x39 rifles in their unmodified form.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    PSL's huh? You have any, Vince?

I wish I could find some. Parts kits are available, but we can't build them for sale in state. We may have to look into importing them. I have a supply for VEPRs, Saigas, & Zastava M77s though, if anyone is interested.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Reference MSP Bulletin 96-1. To the best of my understanding, if a firearm remains in the "sporting" configuration in which it was imported, it is legal and cash and carry, not formerly regulated/now banned. The bulletin references the old SA93 as and example. Following that lead, I say the PSL and VEPRs are good to go. I still sell Saiga 7.62x39 rifles in their unmodified form.

Nice! I was under the impression that all MD dealers were too skittish to follow that.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I wish I could find some. Parts kits are available, but we can't build them for sale in state. We may have to look into importing them. I have a supply for VEPRs, Saigas, & Zastava M77s though, if anyone is interested.

Cugir says they will sell them to importers who are interested. 54r, 308 and 51 if I recall. If you had new magazines, you could probably sell them at a premium.

Mobile

Dec 30, 2011

Confusing.

The parts interchangeability rule went out when they decided to treat piston AR's as banned, which are fundamentally different guns.

I can't keep up with their constantly-shifting decrees.

dgtaurus

Feb 17, 2011
    Pasadena
    The parts interchangeability rule went out when they decided to treat piston AR's as banned, which are fundamentally different guns.

I can't keep up with their constantly-shifting decrees.

So Piston driven AR's are banned now? I saw some not too long ago at 2A.

Mobile

Dec 30, 2011
    So Piston driven AR's are banned now? I saw some not too long ago at 2A.

Some dealers were selling them over the counter. During an audit the ATF noticed these AR's going to MD residents and called up MSP, which went around to the owners. Thing is, the way I heard it, they made them fill out 77R's but let them keep the rifles, which doesn't seem to make any sense. Anyway, I believe there is a thread on it somewhere; I might not have all the details correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom