• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longgunnewb

Textbook Libertarian
    Feb 23, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Can someone please explain the difference between these two rifles? I know the VZ2008 is much cheaper than a true VZ58 but too many times I will see the two model names used to describe the same rifle.

My next "hope the wife doesn't find out" purchase will be one of these but I don't know which one. The $400 price for the 2008 is a hell of a lot better than the $800 prices I have seen for the 58s. Obviously there is a difference between them but I just can't get clear answers anywhere that I have looked.

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    The main difference I know of is that the 58s come standard with a tabbed bolt carrier, which can alleviate the gremlin issue, but I'm sure there are other things as well.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ive seen them side by side the VZ58 is much better machine work but not all THAT great. Ill have one, but buy the VZ2008 first for a beater.

Duffys seems to get both in regularly. Ill probably snag a VZ58 from them when I wrap up some other projects.

So does High Rock in PA.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    58: has the orig chrome lined barrel.
    2008: dont.

58: orig barrel is something like 15.5". They have to pin a short muzzle device to get to >16"
    2008: barrel is made >16"

58: bayonet lug ground off (import issue?) (note, a new front sight w/ lug is ~$20 on the web but you'll have to unpin muzzle device, replace sight, repin. If adding a brake, its a convenient time to do it.)
    2008: has bayo lug

58: CZ made receiver which Czechpoint USA mills out to accept standard mags (like how arsenal AKs are brought into the country)
    2008: Don't know who century gets to make theirs but its surely US.

Not sure what internal parts/trigger groups the 2008 is using. I should be able to compare side by side in about two weeks.

AK-47

Feb 2, 2008
    Vz2008 is half the cost thanVZ58
    And what other have said in this post.
    If you can inspect the VZ2008 before purchase knowing there could be a "gremlin" issue
    then the VZ2008 is the way to go.
    I bought a 2008 before I knew to look for tab on carrier or if it would have a cycling issue
    Got it fixed for $50. I don't think the VZ58 are worth what the command.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Can someone please explain the difference between these two rifles? I know the VZ2008 is much cheaper than a true VZ58 but too many times I will see the two model names used to describe the same rifle.

My next "hope the wife doesn't find out" purchase will be one of these but I don't know which one. The $400 price for the 2008 is a hell of a lot better than the $800 prices I have seen for the 58s. Obviously there is a difference between them but I just can't get clear answers anywhere that I have looked.

$800 for a 58 is a good deal these days. Cheapest I've seen so far was $995 and that's after coming down out of the clouds at ~$1100 awhile back.

I'd like both but IMHO the 58 is the better rifle. Just not a good value right now.

58 has a chrome-lined hammer-forged Lothar Walther barrel, Czech receiver, paint over park (vs just park on the 2008), tabbed bolt carrier, etc. Lots of quality small details.

Nice in-depth review here. Might want to skip to the conclusion if it's tl;dr. Nice read though.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/04/joe-grine/gun-review-czech-vzor-58/

Feb 28, 2013
    I got a 2008 from Duffy's last month.

I haven't fired it yet, but it feels well built. It's light, handles well, and has a metal trigger. So far I'm more impressed with it than my WASR-10.

I sure hope I don't wind up with the headspace issue mentioned in the article.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Great design. For the money, I think the 2008 is well worth the risk.

If you find time, might be worth getting it to the range to work out potential kinks, considering that weird warranty.

Feb 28, 2013
    After reading the article I had to go fondle mine again.:)

I was surprised to get a CAI rifle with a 2 stage trigger. Now I want one in my WASR, instead of that Tapco setup.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Where are the $400 VZ 2008's and how many mags come with them?

PSA, but they won't ship to MD or even let you use a credit card w/ MD billing address.:mad54: Have to get an out of state FFL to order. They come w/ 5 mags.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    smdub's list of differences is good. Add that the VZ2008 has a threaded muzzle. A good brake really makes a difference on these rifles.

ibanez320dx

New guy.
    Jun 2, 2013
    Rosedale
    For around $500 you can't beat the VZ2008. Would it be the first thing I grab if the world was coming to an end? No. But a fun shooter to plink with all day? Yes. I've taken mine out a few times and had two fail to feeds on the first mag. After that its been fine. I chock that up to being new.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    smdub's list of differences is good. Add that the VZ2008 has a threaded muzzle. A good brake really makes a difference on these rifles.

The 58s barrel is threaded too. Just the short ~0.5" extension to get it to >16" is pinned on. You could remove that and have a brake pinned on as I stated.

Did original Czech military issue rifles come with chrome lined barrels?

Yes, here are pics of my 58 parts kit. You can clearly see the chrome on breech and muzzle end. The Czechpoint looks the same.

Attachments

• IMAG1135_breech.jpg
      IMAG1135_breech.jpg
      28.1 KB · Views: 920
    • IMAG1136_muzzle.jpg
      IMAG1136_muzzle.jpg
      49.4 KB · Views: 919

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    One is a BMW 7 Series and the other is a volkswagen beetle. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom