• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I was pressing a barrel into an AK yesterday and accidentally went a metric smidgeon too far. That's not good, because I really don't have any "refined" way to press the barrel out... at least not from a complete receiver. I ended up digging deep into my AK building tool box and came up with the super-ghetto Rube Goldberg-esque solution pictured below... It worked and proved to be highly controllable... but I feared for my life the whole time. There has to be a better way.

I'm interested in how others have approached this task. Thanks in advance for the benefit of your experience.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Attaching photo:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412017379.242697.jpg

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    i have used a long 3/8 extension with socket on a bolt with 2 nuts the 1 that touches bore is brass.

No problems with sliding or shifting? I get very nervous when putting several tons of pressure on things that are not well aligned. I actually saw someone break a couple bones in his hand from something misaligned, and shooting out of the press.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    No problems with sliding or shifting? I get very nervous when putting several tons of pressure on things that are not well aligned. I actually saw someone break a couple bones in his hand from something misaligned, and shooting out of the press.

no,just line it up. I have and seen it done many times.

btw,I noticed you got a side folder. Do I drill front trunnion all the way through for the pin/hook?

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    no,just line it up. I have and seen it done many times.

Can you post a pic? What I'm picturing in my head isn't possible because the rails, center support and/or rear trunnion will be in the way.

btw,I noticed you got a side folder. Do I drill front trunnion all the way through for the pin/hook?

Yes, all the way through. I milled a little off the bottom of the trunnion to give myself a flat surface to drill into. It just so happens that the hole goes almost exactly on a step in the bottom of the trunnion.

One tip: Once you drill the trunnion hole, put the trunnion in place and drill from the top the locate the receiver hole.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    it's not perfectly straight but the socket keeps everything together. I have done it at least 20-30 times(I hate head spacing). that is the method used at all the ak parties I have attended. I am not an expert, I didn't even know how to spell ak before 281

I already milled that flat spot, took forever on drill press

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Ok... It's certainly better than the nonsense I did. But I'm still scared about force not being directed straight down. I may have to invent a better solution.

I too got into AKs just before 281. Bought a couple factory guns, then folded a whole bunch of receivers... Now I'm building out the receivers at my leisure. I even do full heat treating. It's a fun process for me. I've made many mistakes, but each gun gets better... And I may go back and rebuild the early ones.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    FWIW, this is the tool used by Rifle Dynamics for the task... I took the pic during an AK builder class. It allows for press forces to be aligned. It's not made anymore. :( ...though I suppose it would not be hard to make on for myself.

Skoal and sandpaper for scale...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412086986.487767.jpg

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Excellent. I've never seen the forbus site. Thanks.

Re Toth Tools... I don't think it can REMOVE a barrel from a COMPLETE receiver. Am I wrong? If it can, I may do that. It's really a nice tool for lining everything up (kind of hard to do in the press).

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Excellent. I've never seen the forbus site. Thanks.

Re Toth Tools... I don't think it can REMOVE a barrel from a COMPLETE receiver. Am I wrong? If it can, I may do that. It's really a nice tool for lining everything up (kind of hard to do in the press).

A lot easier to head space as well. As far as removing that's what the 3/8 extension is for;). But that other tool you showed would be a better choice especially if it's a real tight barrel

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom