• Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Sykesville, MD:
    http://www.ecode360.com/?custId=SY2024

CHAPTER 84 FIREARMS AND EXPLOSIVES

[HISTORY: Adopted by the Mayor and Council of the Town of Sykesville 3-14-1986 by Ord. No. 144. Amendments noted where applicable.]

§ 84-1 Discharge of firearms prohibited.

[Amended 3-12-2001 by Ord. No. 223a]
    It shall be unlawful for any person to use, fire, discharge or activate any firearms, electrical devices such as stun guns, air rifles, sling shots, fire crackers, torpedoes, or other explosives, or any other deadly or dangerous weapons within the corporate limits of Sykesville, except as provided in § 84-2 of this chapter.

§ 84-2 Exceptions for discharge of certain explosives.

Use of explosives to clear a lot or building site of rock is permitted, provided that:

A. Such demolition is performed by a contractor duly licensed for the use of explosives in the State of Maryland;
    B. Such activity is performed in accordance with Maryland law and contractor's fulfillment of all regulatory requirements of Maryland law, including, but not limited to, inspection, as necessary, of the site by the State Fire Marshal;
    C. Satisfaction of the foregoing conditions are properly evidenced to the Town Manager at least 48 hours prior to commencement of such activity; and
    D. The time for such activity is reviewed and approved by the Town Manager and Chief of Police.

§ 84-3 Carrying concealed weapons.

The devices, firearms, weapons and explosives listed in § 84-1 of this chapter shall be considered deadly or dangerous weapons, and it shall be unlawful for any person to carry them concealed on his body.

ricuser

Nov 7, 2010
    Anne Arundel County
    Anne Arundel
    (1985 Code)

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Maryland/annearundelco_md/annearundelcountycode2005?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:annearundelco_md

§ 9-1-601. Possession or discharge of firearms.

(a) Definition. In this section, "firearm" includes a rifle, handgun, or shotgun as those terms are defined in the Criminal Law Article, § 4-201, of the State Code.

(b) Scope. This section does not apply to a police officer acting in the line of duty.

(c) Prohibition. A person may not discharge a firearm within 100 yards of a structure or camp occupied by human beings or commonly used by human beings without the written permission of the owner, occupant, or lessee of the structure or camp.

(d) Prohibition; exceptions.

(1) A person may not discharge a firearm on any property owned by the County, except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection.

(2) This subsection does not apply to:

(i) an individual who sells property to the County and subsequently occupies or has a right to use the property under a lease or license agreement with the County that permits the discharge of firearms by that individual on the property; or

(ii) a person acting with permission granted pursuant to a wildlife management agreement, and in accordance with Article 14 of this Code.

(e) Prohibition. A person may not possess or discharge a firearm on the property of another unless, at the time of the possession or discharge of the firearm, the person has the express written permission of the owner, occupant, or lessee of the property on which the firearm is possessed or discharged. The written permission shall be signed by the owner, occupant, or lessee; shall include the dates on which the possession or discharge is authorized; and shall specify the parcel or property for which permission is granted. The written permission shall identify the persons for whom permission is granted, and the permission may not be transferred to another person or inferred or implied to include companions of authorized persons. When properly executed, a writing substantially in the following form is sufficient to constitute the written permission required by this subsection:

"I, ________ (owner, occupant, or lessee) hereby authorize ________ to possess or discharge any weapon or firearm on my property known as ________ and such permission is granted for the following time(s): ________________________________________________________.

(owner, occupant, or lessee)"

(1985 Code, Art. 11, § 4-101) (Bill No. 60-03; Bill No. 23-04; Bill No. 77-08)

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    North Beach , MD:
    http://www.ecode360.com/?custId=NO1797

CHAPTER 59 FIREARMS

[HISTORY: Adopted by the Mayor and Town Council of the Town of North Beach as Art. X, Secs. 13 and 14, of the 1982 Code. Amendments noted where applicable.]

§ 59-2 Use of guns by adults.

It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge or shoot any gun, pistol or other firearms or any BB gun or air gun which propels objects within the town limits, except while legally protecting one's property.

Interesting - this one allows for defense of property.

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    Mount Airy, MD
    http://www.ecode360.com/?custId=MO0683

CHAPTER 58 FIREARMS AND SIMILAR DEVICES

[HISTORY: Adopted by the Council of the Town of Mount Airy 2-7-1983 by Ord. No. 129. Amendments noted where applicable.]

§ 58-2 Discharge unlawful.

It shall be unlawful to discharge any firearm or compound bow within the limits of the Town of Mount Airy; provided that this chapter shall not be construed to prohibit any law enforcement officer from discharging a firearm in the performance of his duties nor to prohibit any citizen from discharging a firearm when lawfully defending person or property.

And so does this one.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Anyone have anything for balto county on carrying? I know that there is a law that was passed in the 90's that banned full auto fire.

I could be wrong and I often am (according to my wife), but I'm fairly certain that the only Baltimore County ordinances regarding firearms deal solely with discharge, not possession.

Aside from the ban on full auto thanks to one particular idiot, it is illegal to hunt with anything other than a shotgun or target shoot within the metropolitan area.

Other than that, I can tell you that when I stand on the sidewalk talking to my neighbor with my shotgun slung over my shoulder after returning from hunting, a passing cop will only slow down, look and wave. And I live in the metropolitan area.

Hellphish

Aug 28, 2007
    Rockville
    Rockville:
    Sec. 14-46. - Games.

A person may not play games involving thrown or otherwise propelled objects such as balls, stones, arrows, javelins or model airplanes except in areas set apart for such forms of recreation.

(Laws of Rockville, Ch. 7 , § 7-3.01(v))

ok ok, thats not about guns but just as ... laughable.

Sec. 14-43. - Firearms.

A person may not carry or discharge any firearms.

A person may not discharge any firearm, rifle, shotgun, revolver, pistol, airgun, air rifle or any similar mechanism that is designed to expel a projectile through a gun barrel by the action of any explosive, gas, compressed air, spring, or elastic within the corporate limits of the City whether such mechanism is loaded with blank or live cartridges or projectiles of any kind.

(b)

Subsection (a) does not apply to:

(1)

The discharge of any mechanism on any target, trap or skeet range or shooting area which has been inspected and approved in writing by the City Manager; or

(2)

The discharge of any such mechanisms by any person in a private basement or cellar target range; or

(3)

The discharge of any such mechanism where necessary to protect life or property or to kill any dangerous animal; or

(4)

To any duly authorized peace officer acting in the proper performance of his official duties; or

(5)

The discharge of blank cartridges in theatrical performances or sporting events; or

(6)

The firing of salutes by firing squads at military funerals.

(c)

The City Manager shall issue target, trap and skeet range and shooting area approval certificates, which certificates may specify the time and manner of shooting and type of gun or ammunition which may be used on such range or area. Any such approval certificate shall be valid for eighteen (18) months after its issuance and shall be issued only upon a finding by the City Manager that the discharge of guns upon such ranges or areas will not jeopardize life or property. No range or area shooting certificate shall be issued except upon the written application of the owner, lessee or person lawfully in possession of the land upon which is located the range or area sought to be licensed or approved.

(d)

Any person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    So Far:

Baltimore
    Rockville
    Sykesville
    Leonardtown​

are no long gun carry friendly municipalities.

Anyone got any others?

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Man, someone should compile all the individual municipal laws into a book and take it to Annapolis for the next legislative session. If any law makers want to enact any new laws throw it on the table when you testify that we have enough laws on the books . Hell if they want to protect the public the book would probably be thick enough to stop a .308 round. If every MD carried one it could be used as body armour.

beafly.cakes

Question:

I've seen a number of these mention written permission. Is there a form somewhere online that one could fill-out/sign to legally grant another person permission to discharge a firearm on their property?

Suggestion:

Smart-phone application that lets you select a location on a map, or put in an address and then lists all of the pertinent laws for that location. Preference to removing duplicate laws. A summary page might be nice as well, that linked directly to the actual text of each law.

Bonus points if it will alert you of changes to carry laws as you travel based on your current gps location.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    Sykesville, MD:
    http://www.ecode360.com/?custId=SY2024

§ 84-3 Carrying concealed weapons.

The devices, firearms, weapons and explosives listed in § 84-1 of this chapter shall be considered deadly or dangerous weapons, and it shall be unlawful for any person to carry them concealed on his body.

GOOD WORK!!

Quick question -- since this is a per-premption ordnance, does this mean that even someone who holds a carry permit can't carry? I hope there is something that says that you can carry if you have a permit.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    GOOD WORK!!

Quick question -- since this is a per-premption ordnance, does this mean that even someone who holds a carry permit can't carry? I hope there is something that says that you can carry if you have a permit.

If the ordinance was passed after 1/1/1985 State preemption kicks in.

The last amendment on that ordinance was 2001, leaving the question "when was the ordinance enacted/codified?"

IANAL

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Man, someone should compile all the individual municipal laws into a book and take it to Annapolis for the next legislative session. If any law makers want to enact any new laws throw it on the table when you testify that we have enough laws on the books . Hell if they want to protect the public the book would probably be thick enough to stop a .308 round. If every MD carried one it could be used as body armour.

Thats no good. It is illegal to possess body armor in Maryland without a permit.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Thats no good. It is illegal to possess body armor in Maryland without a permit.

As others have stated - incorrect (emphasis mine):

Maryland Criminal Code said:
    § 4-107. Bulletproof body armor-- Permit to use, possess, or purchase

(a) Prohibited -- Use, possession, or purchase without permit. -- Except for a person holding a valid permit issued under subsection (c) of this section, a person who was previously convicted of a crime of violence or a drug trafficking crime may not use, possess, or purchase bulletproof body armor.

(b) Permit -- Petition. -- A person with a prior conviction for a crime of violence or a drug trafficking crime may file a petition with the Secretary for a permit to purchase, possess, and use bulletproof body armor.

(c) Permit -- Issuance. -- On receiving a petition under subsection (b) of this section, the Secretary may issue to the petitioner a permit to purchase, possess, and use bulletproof body armor under the terms, conditions, and limitations that the Secretary sets as appropriate, based on a determination that the petitioner:

(1) is likely to use or possess bulletproof body armor in a safe and lawful manner; and

(2) has shown good cause for the use, possession, or purchase of bulletproof body armor.

(d) Permit -- Required considerations. -- In making a determination under subsection (c) of this section with respect to a petitioner, the Secretary shall consider:

(1) the effect of the determination on the employment of the petitioner;

(2) the interests of justice;

(3) the safety of the petitioner;

(4) any other valid reason for the petitioner to purchase, possess, or use bulletproof body armor; and

(5) the totality of the circumstances.

(e) Permit -- Conditions. -- As a condition of issuing a permit to a petitioner, the Secretary shall require that the petitioner agree to maintain in the person's possession a certified copy of the permit, including any terms, conditions, or limitations.

(f) Permit -- Duration and renewal. --

(1) A permit under this section expires 5 years after the date of its issuance.

(2) A permit shall be renewed for successive periods of 5 years if the applicant:

(i) files an application for renewal at any time within 3 months before the permit expires; and

(ii) satisfies the requirements of this section.

(g) Permit -- Revocation. -- The Secretary may revoke a permit at any time if the Secretary finds that the holder no longer satisfies the qualifications set forth in subsection (c) of this section.

(h) Informal review. --

(1) A person whose application for a permit or renewal of a permit has been rejected or whose permit has been revoked or limited may request the Secretary to conduct an informal review by filing a written request within 10 days after receiving written notice of the Secretary's initial action.

(2) The informal review may include a personal interview of the applicant.

(3) An informal review under this subsection is not subject to the Administrative Procedure Act.

(4) After the informal review, the Secretary shall sustain, reverse, or modify the initial action taken and notify the applicant of the decision in writing within 30 days after receiving the request for informal review.

(i) Contested case proceeding. --

(1) A person aggrieved by a decision of the Secretary may seek review of the decision under Title 10, Subtitle 2 of the State Government Article.

(2) A request for informal review under subsection (h) of this section is not a condition precedent to instituting a contested case proceeding under this subsection.

(j) Regulations. -- The Secretary shall adopt regulations to carry out this section.

(k) Penalty. -- A person who violates subsection (a) of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 5 years or a fine not exceeding $ 5,000 or both.

IANAL, but my reading of the bolded section shows that only criminals convicted of specific crimes need to have a permit to possess body armor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom