• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    According to Field and Stream (2014), this Ontario Knife won:

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/08/ontario-knife-company-bushcraft-field-knife/#axzz3VdJDvv00

Ontario-Knife-Company-Bushcraft-Field-Knife.jpg

“Ontario Knife is honored to receive Field & Stream’s ‘Best of the Best’ award for the 2014 class,” said President and CEO Kenneth D. Trbovich. “The Bushcraft Field Knife is an outstanding mix of our traditional American craftsmanship and value-added product features, all at a great price with an MSRP of $139.95.”

Read more: http://www.ammoland.com/2014/08/ontario-knife-company-bushcraft-field-knife/#ixzz3VdWyY0UR
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
    Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

Any other reviewed/rated 'top choice' for best field knife?

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Looks OK, but what was the criteria for judging? Field and Stream would be more gentrified that what most on this site would consider "knife of the year".

Q

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Looks OK, but what was the criteria for judging? Field and Stream would be more gentrified that what most on this site would consider "knife of the year".

Q

I agree with you, and I'm not saying that this is the best field knife, not by a long shot. I was hoping to get more informed opinions and discuss; there are several knives I would think are better, especially when you consider the price tag of this Ontario model (~$130).

In a pinch, I think this folder (legal everywhere in Maryland) could do an adequate job, at a fraction of the price; and you could carry in the pocket with you all the time without any legal worry.

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com...onder-x9-folding-knives/#sthash.Dg96mIno.dpuf

Lansky-Sharpeners-Responder-X9-and-Responder.jpg

Last edited:

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I recall Randall Adventure Tours (RAT?), had a series of knives for their Central American survival courses.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    I recall Randall Adventure Tours (RAT?), had a series of knives for their Central American survival courses.

I've got an ESEE Izula and ESEE 3. I really like them, very sharp and easy to keep an edge on. Use them to gut and skin deer with ease, also used on ducks and geese too.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/08/ontario-knife-company-bushcraft-field-knife/#axzz3VdJDvv00

“Ontario Knife is honored to receive Field & Stream’s ‘Best of the Best’ award for the 2014 class,” said President and CEO Kenneth D. Trbovich. “The Bushcraft Field Knife is an outstanding mix of our traditional American craftsmanship and value-added product features, all at a great price with an MSRP of $139.95.”

Read more: http://www.ammoland.com/2014/08/ontario-knife-company-bushcraft-field-knife/#ixzz3VdWyY0UR

:thumbsup: Really like that. Keep a very similar Ontario 7500 Blackbird SK-5 Wilderness Survival Knife in my GHB since it's stainless and lives in the bed of my truck year-round.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    It's nice. And 5160 steel is a good choice for a Bushcraft knife. But I myself would spend the extra 75 or so bucks and get a Benchmade 162 with an S30V blade. ;)

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    It's nice. And 5160 steel is a good choice for a Bushcraft knife. But I myself would spend the extra 75 or so bucks and get a Benchmade 162 with an S30V blade. ;)

OK, me too ... but the 162 gets hard use on the weekends!

:o Hey, I'm not as bad as WeaponsCollector!

Attachments

• IMAG0298.jpg
      IMAG0298.jpg
      46 KB · Views: 438
    • IMAG0299.jpg
      IMAG0299.jpg
      55.2 KB · Views: 440

callidus

May 21, 2013
    Maryland
    I'm not sure about awards, but I have a Cold Steel SRK (San Mai version) that I'd put up against the Ontario. Other great knives out there for that price too. Most are roughly equivalent.

For a low budget, it's hard to beat Morakniv.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Ontario-Knife-Company-Bushcraft-Field-Knife.jpg

:bigwhoop:

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Looks like a really nice knife to me. I'd buy one. Not sure if I could call it the best of the best, but I've never handled one.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Because of their rat tail tang, ka-bars are actually pretty poor knives for outdoor type activities. There are infinitely better choices out there.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Because of their rat tail tang, ka-bars are actually pretty poor knives for outdoor type activities. There are infinitely better choices out there.

Dude, you might as well belittle M-14s and Chesty Puller while you're at it. Where are my Marine Corps brothers?? ;)

Seriously, IMO, every knife in the Becker series from KA-BAR would make a serviceable, if not excellent field knife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom