• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    The Kershaw Cryo is selling under $30... Think it would be a good folder to add to our car's emergency kits (2). Also, maybe even our home kit. It's getting great reviews and the price is good. Is there anything else worth considering?

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    The Kershaw Cryo is selling under $30... Think it would be a good folder to add to our car's emergency kits (2). Also, maybe even our home kit. It's getting great reviews and the price is good. Is there anything else worth considering?

I have the Kershaw Cryo and it's been okay. It's held up to every day use (mainly opening packages and using it around the house). My only issue is that the blade dulls pretty quickly. I find myself sharpening it more than I care to. Just an FYI.
    When it comes time to buy a new EDC knife, I think I'll spend the extra cash on something better.

shooterhyde

Sep 9, 2013
    ESEE Zancudo, 3" folder and can be had for $25-$30. I've had 2, lost one to TSA and got a replacement. It's a frame lock and lock up is solid and the blade comes pretty sharp as well.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    I have a cryo and its a great knife for sub 30. I may not use it as much as rouchna but I haven't noticed it dulling and I've had it for about 6 months. A lot of knife for 30 bucks

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    This is just the thread I needed. I've been in the market for an inexpensive backup to my Skyline.

rob b

c@r collecting
    I did a trade with my cryo for a swiss army alox farmer 3 months ago and been real happy since
    http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/farmer-silveralox.aspx

use nutnfancy to get free shipping if you go this route

my go to tools alox farmer is far right
    gerber gator s30v
    buck tool
    handmade bushcraft knife
    ontario sp 1
    mora forget the model
    farmer right side silver alox

Attachments

• go to tools.jpg
      go to tools.jpg
      84.6 KB · Views: 299
    Last edited:

cb51

I did a trade with my cryo for a swiss army alox farmer 3 months ago and been real happy since
    http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/farmer-silveralox.aspx

use nutnfancy to get free shipping if you go this route

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

An alox SAK is a way better car kit knife or survival kit knife. It doesn't just cut, but deals with flat and phillips screws, does light prying, drills holes, and saws tree limbs up to 2 inches with ease. The saw when used right, also lets you split and quarter firewood to get at dry wood in the center. Great emergency tools.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Check Wal-Mart around Christmas time. They usually have Kershaw Assisted Opening folders for around 20 bucks. I grabbed some this past Christmas as gifts and also for the GHB.

Same here. In fact, I ended up with 2 cryo s . I'll karma one out (in the wc) when I get home and have access to mds with a real computer.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Found the original steel handled Cryo slippery, awkwardly heavy for it's size, and with poor balance, the G10 version and thermite are much better in the same cheap hinderer AO category. The Spyderco tenacious family are about as good as a cheap liner lock can be(lock is thick, timed and tensioned right), although you aren't too far off from their good midblock FRN blades. I got cut pretty good from a liner lock that came loose years ago, so I'm a bit paranoid about cheap liner locks, and prefer the security and ease of use of a midlock over a liner-lock in cheap knives, still works 1 handed, much less likely to be disengaged inadvertently.

For something to keep in the glovebox, a leatherman, even the cheap $30 home depot wingman would be more versatile. Small blades in cheap steel won't hold an edge for long, especially if you use it to cut piles of boxes, plastic packaging or wire and save your nice EDC knife from wear and damage. A folding boxcutter like the Milwaukee Fastback with cheap replaceable blades is half the price, and the thin razor blades cut better than cheap folders.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Found the original steel handled Cryo slippery, heavy for it's size, and with poor balance, the G10 version and thermite are much better in the same cheap hinderer AO category.

For something to keep in the glovebox, a leatherman, even the cheap $30 home depot wingman would be more versatile. Small blades in cheap steel won't hold an edge for long, especially if you use it to cut piles of boxes, plastic packaging or wire and save your nice EDC knife from wear and damage. A folding boxcutter like the Milwaukee Fastback with cheap replaceable blades is half the price, and the thin razor blades cut better than cheap folders.

But but but... the tacticoolness...

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Lansky-Sharpeners-Responder-X9-and-Responder.jpg

Lansky is entering the knife making market in full force with the Responder and Responder X9 knives.

Their blade designs are easy to open one handed using the flipper button or unique and large thumb hole. The Responder model is 7 inches in overall length, has a 440C stainless blade and a nylon handle. The somewhat larger Responder X9 is 9 inches in overall length and sports a 5-inch Sandvik 12C27 blade with what some say is a better G10 handle; me I like the feel of both about equally. P.s. I believe you can still buy both of these knives for about $40 plus shipping! Yep, you read that right.

This is a no brainer, I honestly feel they are practically giving these knives away (for the moment) to get the word out and get these knives in the hands of as many people as possible. Yes, made in china; but the quality belies that fact.

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com...onder-x9-folding-knives/#sthash.Dg96mIno.dpuf

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom