• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ron_Man

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 4, 2014
    Laurel/Bethesda
    Hi Guys,

Maryland born and raised guy here formally introducing myself. Unfortunately, I have been living in Michigan for the past three years. Unfortunate because all this time I kept my Driver's License in Maryland and didn't take advantage of the uninfringed privilege of being in this shall-issue state. Shame on me (and yes, I'm aware of residence/tax violations for doing this...)! But the good news is (or not), I will be moving back to MD in June or July.

To make a long story short, my wife allowed me to buy a firearm for home defense in late 2012 after weeks/months of begging. I brought home my first gun purchase, a Maverick 88 12 gauge shotgun in 20" barrel and 7+1 tube.. very nice to me! Her reason as I understand it now: just to shut me up about it...

In recent weeks, I've been itching to purchase another/more firearms. Most likely this is influenced by having a three month old daughter and want to see to it that I make it my responsibility to defend our lives during this day and age craziness is spreading like a disease and happening everywhere it seems. The first time I brought it up about again two weeks ago about buying a new gun resulted in unnecessary anger and emotional responses from her.. All of a sudden, my wife HATES the idea of having guns in the house, despite the fact there is one here already. It's either trade my shotgun in for something else or live with the one gun I have.. I've even been told that she'd prefer I own a pistol instead... to lately, guns are made for shooting and you don't need guns because only police/military do.... so yes, I'm in one of those touchy situations now where it's difficult to change the mind of someone who has forbid it.. almost like living in a people's republic. Moving back to MD doesn't put me at ease either lol.

I won't bore you guys any further but I have been looking forward to buying something new and I blame having a rather nice tax return to look forward to. Reading a lot about gun safety, responsible gun ownership, and blah blah blah, I still can't translate it into something that my wife can understand. I know I can't change her idea about guns or the power it gives people or other fictional beliefs she has concluded about guns because of TV, movies, and of course real life events, go figure. Buying a gun behind my wife's back, as she absolutely promises as an emotional response, will result in separation because of her hate/misunderstanding about guns in the house, otherwise, irreconcilable differences.... had I known prior..... (but I love my wife regardless) :).

So wish me luck.. it's either convince the wife to compromise with me on this matter or... yeah.... I have my sights set (pun intended) on what she thinks is ridiculous of being a survivor with an armory (not a collection), food, shelter and protection... My line of thinking: I'd rather have it and not need it than not have it when I do need it...

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Hi Guys,

Maryland born and raised guy here formally introducing myself. Unfortunately, I have been living in Michigan for the past three years. Unfortunate because all this time I kept my Driver's License in Maryland and didn't take advantage of the uninfringed privilege of being in this shall-issue state. Shame on me (and yes, I'm aware of residence/tax violations for doing this...)! But the good news is (or not), I will be moving back to MD in June or July.

To make a long story short, my wife allowed me to buy a firearm for home defense in late 2012 after weeks/months of begging. I brought home my first gun purchase, a Maverick 88 12 gauge shotgun in 20" barrel and 7+1 tube.. very nice to me! Her reason as I understand it now: just to shut me up about it...

In recent weeks, I've been itching to purchase another/more firearms. Most likely this is influenced by having a three month old daughter and want to see to it that I make it my responsibility to defend our lives during this day and age craziness is spreading like a disease and happening everywhere it seems. The first time I brought it up about again two weeks ago about buying a new gun resulted in unnecessary anger and emotional responses from her.. All of a sudden, my wife HATES the idea of having guns in the house, despite the fact there is one here already. It's either trade my shotgun in for something else or live with the one gun I have.. I've even been told that she'd prefer I own a pistol instead... to lately, guns are made for shooting and you don't need guns because only police/military do.... so yes, I'm in one of those touchy situations now where it's difficult to change the mind of someone who has forbid it.. almost like living in a people's republic. Moving back to MD doesn't put me at ease either lol.

I won't bore you guys any further but I have been looking forward to buying something new and I blame having a rather nice tax return to look forward to. Reading a lot about gun safety, responsible gun ownership, and blah blah blah, I still can't translate it into something that my wife can understand. I know I can't change her idea about guns or the power it gives people or other fictional beliefs she has concluded about guns because of TV, movies, and of course real life events, go figure. Buying a gun behind my wife's back, as she absolutely promises as an emotional response, will result in separation because of her hate/misunderstanding about guns in the house, otherwise, irreconcilable differences.... had I known prior..... (but I love my wife regardless) :).

So wish me luck.. it's either convince the wife to compromise with me on this matter or... yeah.... I have my sights set (pun intended) on what she thinks is ridiculous of being a survivor with an armory (not a collection), food, shelter and protection... My line of thinking: I'd rather have it and not need it than not have it when I do need it...

First off, your wife just had a baby 3 months ago and I am guessing she is going through a lot of hormone changes right now. Not only that, but there is now a baby in the house. I understand your feelings about wanting to protect your family. Heck, I feel naked without a gun within easy reach.

Well, since you have been reading up about safety, etc., what safety precautions have you taken to secure the shotgun? Buying some type of safe to lock it up in might be a step in the right direction with your wife. Showing her a plan to store a handgun in an easy access vault might be another thing to show her that you are thinking about safety and have a plan you would like to put in place.

Sadly, police shouldn't even have to be using firearms if everybody was a law abiding citizen. Thing is, they aren't and they usually target other civilians, not the police. Chances of a home invasion are slim. Chances of the world imploding are slim. Chances of you needing a gun to protect yourself and family are slim. Problem is, as you add up all the slim chances, they start to become more substantial. There are a lot of different "securities" in life. There is financial security. Does your wife think you guys are in a good spot financially such that you can afford to spend more money on a gun?

With all that said, I have no idea what to tell you if she is straight up anti-gun. Guess I could say good luck and that is about it. I went on a couple of dates in the months before I met my wife and I made sure each and every women knew I owned guns and I hunted. If they had a problem with it, that was pretty much the end of the road. Some started to express their anti opinion and then changed their tune when I would not change mine, but I knew that was a mess waiting to happen down the road. My wife is nowhere near as into firearms as I am, but she knows how to use them. Couple months ago, she and I heard a noise in the basement and she didn't look at all alarmed when I took out a handgun. A couple weeks after that, the power went out and she wasn't alarmed again as I took out a handgun and decided to sleep with it in the living room so I could see the front door and sliding glass door.

End of the day, you and your wife are going to have to reconcile this one way or another. As far as I am concerned though, buying another gun without her consent would be a betrayal. Nothing like having a spouse lie to you and nothing worse for a relationship than losing trust in your spouse.

Good luck and move into the best neighborhood you can afford in Maryland to reduce the necessity of needing a gun for self defense.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Op: welcome to MD - congrats on the new kid! Looks like your wife will fit in well here. - fabs hit it on the nose- prove "safety" and she'll likely forget about the scary metal things. A 12ga isn't exactly a "fun gun" to shoot if you have smaller shoulders or are shooting more than 25-30rds. (Read:take her to shoot a .22lr or full size 9mm) My wife, when scary metal things come up- asks when we can go shooting "her" 1911. Take the irrational fear out, and you got a shooting partner. (Or lost a chance to get away and shoot alone)

Fabs- I don't care for JD's and CPA's bore me, you on the other hand- I'd like to buy you a beer- I think we'd get along.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    OP,

Have you considered taking some professional basic firearm training with the wife? It helps when someone else is an instructor, while you and the wife are on equal ground absorbing the material (you will not be the bad guy).

You can use the angle of safe handling, eventhough she doesn't like guns. Once she is at the range, she might change her mind.

Good luck

Dec 31, 2012
    I kept a loaded 12ga behind the bedroom door for the 10 years I was with my wife before we had a kid. She wouldn't even look at the gun. Out of sight, out of mind. When we had a kid that was my que to reintroduce handguns to the household and to her. My previous use of handguns pre-dated my wife.
    I reasoned it out in this manner:
    It is not feasible to keep a loaded shotgun in the open as there is no way to keep it loaded and out of the hands of a child but still useable by you. A small handgun can be kept locked in a quick access box negating the above problems.
    I put away the shotgun and replaced it with a handgun which became several including my wife eventually having a few of her own.
    Your wife has already mentioned a pistol but seemingly in the context of she would be less likely to see it if I'm understanding the situation.
    Put away the shotgun and buy a pistol. Explain it to her from the viewpoint outlined above. She will be less likely to see it than the shotgun and you gain one more gun. You'll take a loss by selling the 12ga and tell her so. Buy a 38 revolver and at some point in the future show her how it works.

One step at a time.

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    OP... I am in the same boat.

What I learned...

Better to ask for forgiveness, than ask for permission!

It is time to man up :)

Welcome, and good luck.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    My situation is a little different, but it all comes down to an irrational emotional response to an inanimate object. Since it's kind of hard to reconcile with your emotions, and women 'sometimes' {I did say sometimes MDS ladies ... :o} are a mite more prone to succumbing to them, it either takes a lot of time, patience, and reasoning, or an opposite but significant emotional experience.

In my case, my wife encountered a stranger in our barn one evening which scared the bejesus out of her to the point she declared that SHE herself needed a gun. Prior to that, she was pretty ambivalent about but always questioned my 'collection'. Luckily the stranger was a local with developmental issues so no harm no foul, but my wife quickly reconciled one emotional response with another because of the encounter. Now my daughter on the other hand is completely comfortable around guns and has three of own ... they're pink, so we do need to make compromises. :rolleyes: Bottom line, not all women react the same, but it has been my observation of the female of the species that emotion plays a BIG part in their fear of guns ... and come to think of it, so does the rhetoric foisted upon us by the gun-grabbers.

I'm not suggesting that you create a significant emotional event, but you can certainly use my example if you think it would help.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I know. (*sits there with hand raised). Set up a 'fake stranger walking around the yard' with one of your friends at your home. Scare the crap out of her. Maybe she will want a gun. Then again she may want to move to a new neighborhood and that could be more expensive. :sarcasm:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Howdy. Join the fight.

www.marylandshallissue.org

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    OP,

Have you considered taking some professional basic firearm training with the wife? It helps when someone else is an instructor, while you and the wife are on equal ground absorbing the material (you will not be the bad guy).

You can use the angle of safe handling, eventhough she doesn't like guns. Once she is at the range, she might change her mind.

Good luck

And make it a woman instructor....this will help immensely.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome to MDS , and a dubious welcome back to Md.

The proper question should have been " how to deal with Girlfriend who hates guns ? "

Intrest in guns/ shooting/ hunting/ etc was not a requirement , but objections to those would have been a dealbreaker at the start.

I don't know if I gave off a vibe , or subconcous self-selection , but I've never had problems with that.

Budgetary implication discussions yes , basic concepts no.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Who wears the pants in the relationship?
    :thumbsup: She may be saying 'No', but she really means 'yes'. Use your low voice and give her a stern look and say, 'I'm the protector of our home and I need better tools.' Then point her to http://www.assaultweaponwatch.com/. Women want men that can protect them. It's a part of their DNA. Assert yourself and I'm betting you get 'lucky' that night.

fordtruck317

Apr 9, 2011
    Middle River
    Welcome. There will be a lot of good suggestions people here will give you. My wife doesn't care for firearms as well but I had a few before we got married. She respects my interest and I don't push it on her. That being said, I did she something at Freestate about an all womens shooting club. Another idea is to see if any of her friends are into shooting and they can have a girls night out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom