• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FoxFirearms

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    I own a Glock, and carry most of their line. I would recommend the Glock because of their reliability...you can shoot them in sand, water, whatever, and they will continue to shoot. The PPQ is nice however. My main suggestion is if you're going to shoot it at the range, get something with adjustable sights. Any handgun with fixed sights could be "off" a little, so if it shoots high-left, you will have to aim low-right. For target shooting, the Glock 34 (9mm) or Glock 35 (.40) would be a good choice. The are not compact, but are the only Glocks with 5.5" barrels and adjustable rear sights - both are Glock's competition models.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    I own the Glock 19, the PX4 Compact, and the S&W M&P 9. I love them all. But they are all very different in feel and performance. Personally I have had no issues with the PX4, but there are multiple owners who have reported problems with theirs. I like the de-cocker feature and the DA/SA trigger. It is my cold weather CCW firearm. The M&P just feels "right" in my hand. It can be purchased with or without a safety. And there is no disputing the reliability of the Glocks, but they just don't fit my hand as well.

If this is your first, and potentially only pistol for a while, by all means shoot before you purchase. If the spousal unit is going to participate, make sure she is happy with the purchase as well. Alternatively and finances permitting, buy two pistols- one for each of you if you don't agree on which best meets your individual needs.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I own Glock (as well as others) but my wife has a PX4 compact 9mm and honestly it's been a great gun. We've never had a single problem with it and my personal opinion/experience is that it's one of the nicest shooting guns out there from an accuracy and feel standpoint. There are definitely better triggers out there but overall it's a joy to shoot.

Regarding reliability, maybe she just lucked out and got a good one but I also recall reading that there are some internal differences between the full size (which were apparently known to have issues) and the compact versions.

mrdave2010

Aug 8, 2011
    Maryland
    Out of the two I would recommend the Glock. My Wife enjoys the grip angle and size on a Walther, and a 1911 (slimmer than most modern double stacks). Like many have said, Glocks are very reliable, and I have found mine to be quite accurate as well. The PX4 storm I would avoid. I had a range day with my buddies and had problems with it; I tore it down cleaned it, and still had issues. With that said be careful not to let a rental gun taint your opinion on a gun, many rental guns are not maintained to the level that I maintain my own... long story short a dirty gun will always cause more problems than a nice clean oiled one.

I feel for you on having a gun for the lady of the house. I normally will go to a store find out which one she likes the grip on, then I'll find out which one of my friends has one so I can borrow it and shoot it with no pressure of a rental gun at a range.

hope that helped, and good luck!

if money isnt an issue, look into a sig 226 enhanced elite (smaller grips and beaver tail)
    and buy a .22lr slide for it that way your wife can get comfortable with it as a .22 and move up to 9mm when she is ready

//love my sig

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That's certainly a reason. I prefer to characterize them as less expensive than others. Cheap infers poor quality IMO. They are anything but that. But YMMV.

:D

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Glock, and more specifically a gen 4, nothing wrong with a G19 over a G17, I actually like them better, a bit more compact and easy to handle. The gen 4 starts with a smaller grip than the gen 3, you add a backstrap to get back to gen 3 size, and have the option of a larger one, without a backstrap it fits small hands better than most, the larger lengthened mag release it is easier to work, and the new spring setup does help soften recoil. There were some bugs early on with a recoil spring a bit too heavy for light loads, but that was solved quick. There is a reason it is the most popular compact out, and the gold standard everyone tries to compete with, some don't like them, or like other models better, plenty of fanboys and haters for every platform.

I have shot and worked on the PX4s, and don't really care for them. It is an evolution from the cougar series, and retains much of that model, primarily a rotating action, but updates a bit with polymer. The trigger is same DA/SA with slide mounted dsafety/decocker pistols have had since the P38, a long heavy first shot, and shorter lighter followups that has gone away in favor of consistent DAO. The safety is a bit awkward to reach, the hammer fired action isn't as compact as a striker fired, and doesn't allow as high of a grip as the Glock, so there is a bit more muzzle rise, and good or bad, the grip angle is more vertical with less sculpting and a slicker texture. Some complain about reliability issues, but I haven't experienced any firsthand, and accuracy is comparable to the GLOCK, but it falls way short in other areas IMO.

Last edited:

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I also bought my first pistol this year and I went with a Glock 17. I also looked at the M&P and the XD's and settled on the Glock. It just felt right in my hand, I hated the feel of the XD, it just did not feel right to me somehow. I am looking to add a G19 or a G21 this year, if I don't add another 1911 :D. The Gen 4 guns as has been mentioned have a smaller frame out of the box and with the 4 backstraps, 2 normal and 2 beavertails, you can add depth to the grip if needed.

spfrazierjr

Mar 1, 2013
    Thank you everyone. I will have to put in some more range time with other manufactures mentioned. I think I can rule out the PX4 based on the common reviews here, reliability issues.

- mobile

I'm not here to argue with anyone, but I'm going to state my opinion and experience.
    Don't rule out the PX4. Most of these negative reviews are older models or heresy about them and I actually get sick of hearing it. The newer models are sound and good to go. I personally own one, in .40, and have been torturing it. I have only cleaned it one time and have yet to have any type of malfunction.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Get a glock 19. I know you said you would like a full size, but you may change your mind after shooting a 19. Very manageable, and I think, te perfect size.

I've never seen the need for a 17 after owning a 19. Especially since the 19 accepts the larger 17 magazines as well

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    I have a PX4 in .45. So far it has shot whatever I put through it reliably.
    If I lived in a state where carry was legal I would take a hard look at the Glock.

The sphinx

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2013
    Delaware
    I was thinking of getting the storm. Based on the responses here I don't think I will. So I thank you all for that. I have a gen 3 g22 1800 rounds through it 0 malfunctions. I got a g27 gen4 recently and have 300 in that 0 malfunctions. Hope this helps

johnlax38

NOOB
    Nov 19, 2013
    Crofton, MD
    Again thank you everyone. This next question probably qualifies as a new thread. I noticed most guns do not have 10 round magazines. How does the purchase process work for in state and out of state purchases? More specifically the transfer of the magazine over 10 rounds? I understand out of state regulated guns have to be registerd and online purchases go to a local MD FFL, etc... The question is regarding the magazine.

I know for my AR I can go to PA/VA and pick up a 30 round mag and bring it home and use it. Does the same apply to handguns?

- mobile

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    The reason is because they are cheap.
    Then why does every manufacturer copy the design? I've had the same G 17 for over 18 years. No problems ever. I don't know why you down talk Glock. I'm sure you have your reasons. But for the most part. You'd be hard pressed to find a better battle ready handgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom