• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ELEMENT94

Wild eyed pistol waver.
    Sep 23, 2007
    Do you need the new license and fingerprints to keep what you already own??

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have updated the FAQ to address the stripped AR-15 lower issue, which is basically that NO ONE KNOWS.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    First, thanks for this!

Second, have we gotten any clarity to taking grandfather Ar-15s out of state to shoot and bringing them back in after the ban is put into effect?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Funny thing is, have any of you fired a gun with a "flash suppressor" at night? With commercial ammunition there is still a good bit of flash/ball of fire/etc.

So how will they determine that a given device is a "flash suppressor?"

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So how will they determine that a given device is a "flash suppressor?"
    It's defined in the bill as something that hides or reduces the flash. I really don't think this is ambiguous.

I have updated the FAQ with commentary about the transport issue (which isn't).

Gunny1

Senior Citizen Member
    He probably does. But I hope he is better versed in this stuff than I am. I run two businesses, read a lot and have a degree in bio with a chemistry minor and damn if I can figure this crap out. However general population in the lock up seems like a bad idea.

I hear ya! :lol: I've been sitting here re-reading posts trying to make sense of it all.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    If i have registered stripped lowers before the ban can i build them out in whatever config i want? Or do i have to technically have them all built by October?
    The way I read it was that if you purchased (and registered) an Assault Long Gun, you wouldn't have to register it again. Since a stripped lower on the 77R doesn't define it as a rifle or handgun, it would still need to be registered in it's final form. Technically is has to be completed before it goes into effect, but you have until 1/1/14 to register it.

Again this is only my personal interpretation of the law and IANAL.

sounds like you just remove the F/H or comp since they removed the "threaded barrel" component of the bill is that correct??
    so then a pistol grip and folding "telescoping" stock would be ok with a d-mag..
    correct me if I am wrong, I barely slept and am pretty fuzzy

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Q: Are AR-15 pistols banned?
    A: If you have an AR-15 pistol without a threaded barrel, it would not be banned. Note that you cannot transfer AR-15 pistols or pistol lowers in Maryland, except with very limited exceptions as found in the roster.

Wouldn't an existing AR-15 pistol be considered a "copy" and hence be grandfathered in (assuming it's not listed in the list of assault pistols).

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    So if i have other pistols that i bought that did not come with a threaded barrel from the factory, i have to reregister them
    As assault weapons to legally keep them with the threaded barrels?
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Wouldn't an existing AR-15 pistol be considered a "copy" and hence be grandfathered in (assuming it's not listed in the list of assault pistols).
    A copy of what?

So if i have other pistols that i bought that did not come with a threaded barrel from the factory, i have to reregister them
    That is certainly possible. The language in SB218 only protects you from re-registering an assault long gun. I have updated the FAQ to clarify this ambiguity (or, rather, make the ambiguity more clear!). I still think the MSP position is going to be "if we know about your gun in some fashion through a 77r, you're GTG". That was certainly the intent of the legislation.

My personal opinion is that the whole "re-registration" thing was not an issue to begin with, and that it was thrown in there as a sop to the pro-gun crowd.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    There still seems to be grey lines on some guns. For example, my Thompson 1927A1 has a readily detachable magazine, when using the stick mag. The drum requires a "third hand" tool to remove. This is a California complient tool as well. It has a pistol grip... and has a Cutts compensator, which the compensator is neither a muzzle brake, or a flash hider... so is this banned, when using a stick mag, and not banned when using a drum?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There still seems to be grey lines on some guns. For example, my Thompson 1927A1 has a readily detachable magazine, when using the stick mag.The drum requires a "third hand" tool to remove. This is a California complient tool as well. It has a pistol grip... and has a Cutts compensator, which the compensator is neither a muzzle brake, or a flash hider... so is this banned, when using a stick mag, and not banned when using a drum?
    Personal opinion: your tommy gun accepts detachable mags, and is thus subject to the evil features test. The law does not seem to make distinctions about this. As long as the Cutts comp doesn't reduce flash, it's not an evil feature. But, unfortunately for you, the rear pistol grip plus forward pistol grip makes it banned, as that's two evil features.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    A copy of what?

Sorry. Wouldn't it be considered a "copycat weapon" and hence fall under the grandfather clause. I currently have an AR-15 .22LR pistol and need to make sure it falls under the grandfather clause. I realized I can never sell/transfer it in the state.

svana

NRA Life Member
    Dec 28, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    Sorry for the repetitive question if it's been addressed. What if one transported in an AR from out of state when they moved into state, but never got it registered? In order to keep the rifle legally, they would have to simply register it prior to 1/1/14 provided it has the characteristics to fall under the category of a grandfathered weapon?

Last edited:

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I'm I understanding this correct

If one's AR or AK where bought in Maryland as a regulated firearm, then there is nothing that needs to be done to stay on the correct side of the law?

erwos
    Your doing a great job with this thread and your flow sheet is outstanding.
    Your the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom