Can an "other" registered AR receiver be assembled as a rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    Of course this is true. However you will know you are lying. It is much harder to tell a lie consistantly. There is no proof that it was ever a pistol, other than your word. And maybe that you own a pistol upper. I take my word seriously, enough so that I actually did put a pistol upper on all my lowers before making a rifle. There are people on this forum that sent themselves certified letters with pictures of thier new lowers configured as pistols.
    I understand and agree. And I like the idea of creating proof that it was built that way first. To play Devils advocate though someone can just take a picture of their lower with a friends upper.

Granted it's "built" at that time.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Someone help me out here. What's the term used for even having all the parts necessary to build an SBR without first having the stamp? Something something intent?? A pistoled lower negates that.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Totally understand that but, does a standard carbine buffer tube suffice, legally speaking? My first thought is not. But I don't know the letter of the law here.

Yep. Doesn't need to be a pistol buffer tube. Just can't have a stock attached.

However a pistol buffer tube gets the whole intent issue out of the way.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Attached or unattached? i'm good with that.:thumbsup:
    Might as well go out and get a pistol buffer. Wanting one anyway...for my ''other''.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    constructive possession. If you have all the parts to make it, then it's the same as having it completed and built.

Bad if you have no stamp

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Totally understand that but, does a standard carbine buffer tube suffice, legally speaking? My first thought is not. But I don't know the letter of the law here.

The term is "readily constructible". For fancy/cosmetic work paracord will suffice to give a better cheekweld and satisfy the legal portion. For quick n dirty use duct tape will prevent a stock from being easily attachable.

Also having a lower receiver constructed as a rifle with a stock and say an "unregistered" 14.5" barrel would be labeled "constructive intent".

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    Not to change the subject, but wouldn't moving out of Maryland remove the grandfather provision for rifles you own which are now banned?

Nope. The state doesn't doesn't care if you bough the banned config inside or outside the state of MD. Only if they were bought before 10/1/2013 or after. Only concern you might have is if you bring a banned weapon into the state I am pretty certain you will have to register the weapon.

Thanks
    Robert

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I did ask MSP at the last dealer seminar. In fact, I asked Cpt. Brady herself. She is the head of Firearms Licensing Division.

Also, WHEN did this occur?

MSP has changed their minds on a number of things.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

However if you have a spare stock, the BATF may still arrest you.

A pistol buffer tube removes that potential issue.

The same thing with owning a pistol upper without owning a pistol lower, only rifle configured lowers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom