DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Staking looks alright, i know some that aggressively stake and you would need to drill the screws to get the key off and buy new key. As long as there a good bit of contact on the stake to the screw head you should be good to go.

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    I bought one of these Ares Armor BCGs back in August. I have shot less than 200 rds with it and already the plating is flaking off around the bolt cam pin. I can also see areas where it shouldn't be wearing and the finish is permanently stained. I swapped it into a beater upper and figure worst case, I replace it in a couple hundred rounds and if it's just the $5 cam pin nobody will know if it doesn't match the rest. But lesson learned...no more money on Ares Armor products. The AIM-logo bearing 5.56 BCG is holding up very nicely though, so I would get another one of those in a heartbeat.

I seem to be batting 500 with them on BCGs.

I received a .308 BCG for another build and was not optimistic when it came in a box just a hair shorter than the actual BCG. There was plenty of paper but nothing protecting the part itself save for the priority mail box it shipped in. I noticed a slight ding on one of the lugs, maybe from shipping. Then I couldn't get the bolt cam pin to drop out past the gas key. That is when I decided to return it. I can only figure that it was staked on AFTER assembling the bolt and firing pin, so I can't clean it (it won't come apart). It is now on its way back to AIM and they were stand-up about it so I have no complaints. I just wish the NiB 5.56 BCG was still in the 30 day return window!

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    FWIW I purchased one of Ares Armor's phosphate BCGs when they were on sale for $68 in September. Used it in a build about a month ago and have run maybe 200 rounds with it so far without issue but I will definitely keep a close eye on it now.

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    Mine has stained a little too though it's all the way in the back. Other than that it's been great. No flaking for me.Zero jams or problems what so ever. I love how everything just wipes off.

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    Update (long overdue, but ya know...)

I called AIM and they were fantastic about it. Apparently, Ares never built that particular run of BCGs. I called them, they called back, and they were very sorry and understanding and explained at length the issue. Everyone looked bad, but they all did the right thing as it was still their name on it even though it was counterfeit. AIM replaced the 5.56 BCG and it is much, much better.

Anyway, I meant to give that shout out way earlier but I wanted to get some rounds though it and it has been a slow summer as far as range days go.

AIM Surplus and Ares Armor stood 110% behind their names and went way above and beyond. They will both get my business in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom