• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Sure, I felt he was bragging and I feel many teachers are over paid. Sorry, but thats just me. Remember to include all bennies as pay. Look at many states that give almost free retirement and health care.etc, etc :sad20:

Nonsense.

At 22 years in with a master's degree and coursework towards a doctorate, I make less than many 22 year olds coming out of undergrad with no experience. Even if you factor in the 20% differential to account for the difference in the number of days worked, it doesn't add up.

You can "feel" any way you want, but you probably ought to get your facts straight before you post some crazy talking points.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Nonsense.

At 22 years in with a master's degree and coursework towards a doctorate, I make less than many 22 year olds coming out of undergrad with no experience. Even if you factor in the 20% differential to account for the difference in the number of days worked, it doesn't add up.

You can "feel" any way you want, but you probably ought to get your facts straight before you post some crazy talking points.

Why is that, because everything you read on the web is true? :lol:

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Why is that, because everything you read on the web is true? :lol:

No....it's because your statement is full of crap.

If the gig is such a good deal, go get in on it by getting your certification and get yourself a position. I mean, it is a part time job after all with all of those sweet benefits.

I'll put a good word in for you with our HR department

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I really wish i was 21 already this 18 thing is getting old quick.

Enjoy it while you can. It will pass MUCH faster then you realize. this age is your probatioary period. As long as you dont do something foolish youll be a good fit for any LEO field.

Im taking computer forensics now. Hopefully when Im done I can work for a Local or Fed Agency.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Nonsense.

My aunt is a full time history teacher in a baltimore county public school and is making under 50k a year. She could of been a doctor for all of the schooling she has... She enjoys teaching and money does not matter when you do something you love! Thanks Norton. I wish I had a cool school teacher who was interested in guns!

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Nonsense.

I'm guessing that you didn't choose your profession based on compensation? You did it because you wanted to make a difference in young people's lives?

I'm also going to guess that you're extraordinary in what you do and that given that, in the private sector, you would be rewarded for your contributions and make several times more what you do now.

I wish there was a way the government could compensate exceptional employees and dismiss the failures. Sadly, unions exist and people who aren't members of the union are forced to contribute to it nonetheless.

I support school vouchers for this very reason.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I'm guessing that you didn't choose your profession based on compensation? You did it because you wanted to make a difference in young people's lives?

I'm also going to guess that you're extraordinary in what you do and that given that, in the private sector, you would be rewarded for your contributions and make several times more what you do now.

I wish there was a way the government could compensate exceptional employees and dismiss the failures. Sadly, unions exist and people who aren't members of the union are forced to contribute to it nonetheless.

I support school vouchers for this very reason.

Off topic but I must say well said! I had some great teachers in Baltimore County public schools who I will never forget. I know for a fact I received a great education. I don't like it when people make blanket statements about teachers.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Off topic but I must say well said! I had some great teachers in Baltimore County public schools who I will never forget. I know for a fact I received a great education. I don't like it when people make blanket statements about teachers.
    Thank you. You're right. It's off topic. I think tdt91 was commenting on teachers in general and how performance is not linked to compensation. Norton is probably an exceptional teacher. With regards to police compensation, I'd like to know how many careers start at the levels mentioned in the original post.

To put things in perspective, the #1 most dangerous job is being a fisherman:

Fatalities: 129 per 100,000 workers
    Reported Injuries: 61 per 100,000 workers
    Salary: $27,950

Let's now consider the skills needed to be a policeman which ranks at #12:

Fatalities: 16 per 100,000 workers
    Reported Injuries: 3 per 100,000 workers
    Salary: $51,410

Keep in mind that these salaries are not 'starting salaries'. Given that, the job looks very attractive.

Dangerous jobs: http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2010/04/07/dangerous-jobs.html

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

I enjoy what I do...or used to before the whole educational system got even more effed in the last decade. Today, I think you find your satisfaction in different ways with lots of little victories as opposed to sweeping wins.

I think we get compensated fairly for what we do. If they offered me a raise I wouldn't kick it to the curb, but the whining of my colleagues is pretty tiresome. I know that if they would pursue some scholarly and professional activities outside of the classroom, they could make a lot of extra money.

We may only work 192 days at school, but I make use of the other days off to do consulting work, clinics, camps, etc because apparently people see some value on what I have to offer. Other teachers I know have side/summer gigs such as house painting.

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    Nonsense.

I'm with you on this one. I am entering my 7th year teaching and barely make more than the original job posting on this thread. I coach football and make essentially cents on the hour to do that all season. I am halfway done my masters. I love my job but it is difficult. I wish that everyone who thinks it's so easy just worked for one full day in a high school.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Sorry if I was a part of the thread being redirected, and I was def. NOT bragging about anything in my post. I was only trying to make a statment about careers like teaching, police, etc. and how the pay scale is not equal to the importance of the job. My dad didnt get paid near what he should as a LEO.

I agree with Norton on much of this, as a music teacher I dont really have weekends, nights, or all of the summer off. And I dont get paid for these activities except for a yearly stipend that ends up being about 75 cents and hour. Yes, teachers do complain a bit to much as a group and that reflects on the profession. However when a Safeway manager position requiring no experience is advertised with a salary 8K over what I make I have to go Hmmmmm.

Trying to get back on topic, LE and teaching do have one thing in common, usually the people going into these fields do the job because it is what they love and truly enjoy. I am my wife are both teachers and we do "ok", but each month when bills are due it does get tough sometime, especially over the summer. I also think LE is a good career choice as long as your getting into it for the right reasons. Good luck to anyone going for this job.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom